Old 02-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Mike Cloaked

Default OpenOffice and password protected encrypted .docx files?

Gene Heskett wrote:

> I just did, on an F10 system, works a treat.

Did you uninstall the pre-existing OO first, and then install the new one?
Would be interested to know of any gotchas too along the way?

Old 02-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 04 February 2010, Mike Cloaked wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I just did, on an F10 system, works a treat.
>
>Did you uninstall the pre-existing OO first, and then install the new one?
>Would be interested to know of any gotchas too along the way?

Yes, but be advised that the old copy was also a straight from OOo.org
version, rarely have I tolerated the brokenness of the distro versions for
very long. It is packed as rpms however and includes the real, 100%
compatible java too, so the install seems to be distro friendly as long as
the distro uses rpms. However, I noted when I went after it again last week,
that there are now .deb friendly versions too.

My biggest bitch is that the mirror I pulled it from the last time seems to
be throttled to about 300 baud someplace, so it took much of a day to pull
that 180 megs. That sucks to put it mildly.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

A committee is a life form with six or more legs and no brain.
-- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough For Love"

Old 02-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Mike Cloaked

Gene Heskett wrote:

> Yes, but be advised that the old copy was also a straight from OOo.org
> version, rarely have I tolerated the brokenness of the distro versions for
> very long. It is packed as rpms however and includes the real, 100%
> compatible java too, so the install seems to be distro friendly as long as
> the distro uses rpms. However, I noted when I went after it again last
> week,
> that there are now .deb friendly versions too.
>
> My biggest bitch is that the mirror I pulled it from the last time seems
> be throttled to about 300 baud someplace, so it took much of a day to pull
> that 180 megs. That sucks to put it mildly.

Thanks for the tip - and the watchpoint about mirror speed....