Old 02-03-2010, 07:57 PM
"Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak"

Default openjdk compatibility (was: program to read electronic books)

>> The same pitfall is with OpenJava: For true compatibility, one
>> has to use Sun Java. Compiling with OpenJava did not solve the problem...
>
> Huh? OpenJDK is practically identical to Sun Java except for the license.
> Except for the browser plugin (which OpenJDK does not include and which is
> provided by the IcedTea project), the code is almost 100% Sun code.
> Compatibility should be a non-issue.

I don't know what differs between Sun Java and OpenJDK, but there are
major differences!

I have noticed that using OO Base to browse postgresql tables (with the
jdbc connector) is extremely slow with openjdk (it takes ~ 1-2 seconds
to bring up 1 row in a table view!). It is much faster with Sun Java.
Something must be different in the database access code.

And, in my experience, you can forget about using openjdk to access
banking / stock-broker sites. Again, some critical bit differs.

Anybody know what the real critical bits are?

- Mike