Old 02-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Andrea

Default Fedora 11: how to update Eclipse and Netbeans

Hi,

I'm running Fedora 11 and I would like to update Eclipse and Netbeans to the latest version.
Fedora 11 still ships Netbeans 6.5 and Eclipse 3.4 for which many plugins don't work well.
Example is the scala plugin which requires Eclipse 3.5.

I don't really want to upgrade the whole system.
Has anybody successfully upgraded Eclipse or Netbeans, and how?

Andrea

Old 02-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Andrew Overholt

> Has anybody successfully upgraded Eclipse or Netbeans, and how?

I don't know about NetBeans, but updating Eclipse will bring in a _lot_
of new versions of dependencies. You could just try using an upstream
download (download.eclipse.org) until you move to Fedora 12.

Andrew

Old 02-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Paolo Galtieri

To upgrade netbeans go to the oracle web site and download the netbeans 6.8 installer.* I'm running F12 (which provide nb 6.7.1) and using nb 6.8.* To upgrade eclipse pull the latest from eclipse.org.* If you run eclipse on F12 I discovered you will need to set the following environment variable.

export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=true

otherwise some of the menu buttons wont work.

Paolo

Old 02-04-2010, 02:57 AM
Andrew Overholt

* Paolo Galtieri <pgaltieri@gmail.com> [2010-02-03 18:33]:
> If you run eclipse on F12 I discovered you will need to set the
> following environment variable.
>
> export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=true

That is correct if you're using an upstream release. Fedora packages
have this workaround and a few other bug fixes set up automatically.

Andrew

Old 02-04-2010, 06:14 AM
Peter Boy

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 03.02.2010, 20:36 +0000 schrieb Andrea:
> Has anybody successfully upgraded Eclipse or Netbeans, and how?

similiar question here, but regarding F12. Is there a chance to get an
Netbeans 6.8 Fedora package as an update or does the Fedora policy
prevent is (as it is in RHEL)?

(I would prefer not to overwrite Fedora packages).

Rawhide is currently on 6.7 as well.

Peter

Old 02-04-2010, 07:38 AM
Kevin Kofler

Peter Boy wrote:
> similiar question here, but regarding F12. Is there a chance to get an
> Netbeans 6.8 Fedora package as an update or does the Fedora policy
> prevent is (as it is in RHEL)?

The policy doesn't prevent it, but it may be impractical due to all the
dependencies needing upgrading. (Fedora doesn't ship huge monolithic
packages with bundled JARs, but packages each JAR separately.)

Kevin Kofler