Old 02-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Peter Lesterhuis

Default wireless adapter stops working after update

Some time ago the on-board wireless card of my laptop
broke down.

After some googling I bought a new wireless usb-device (Asus WL-167g
USB WLAN adapter). Iwas said to be working out of the box. And it did.*
But after the first updates it stopped working.

Booting the previous kernel does not help.

Somehow I can't believe that the wireless card isn't supported anymore
in the latest kernel.

I reinstalled fedora 12 ... and the card starts working again.

But after installing updates an rebooting it stops working.

Any clues would be wellcome.

Peter

Old 02-03-2010, 12:52 AM
Tim

On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 23:55 +0100, Peter Lesterhuis wrote:
> I reinstalled fedora 12 ... and the card starts working again.
> But after installing updates an rebooting it stops working.
> Any clues would be wellcome.

Give the list some logs to look at...

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Peter Lesterhuis

I reinstalled fedora 12 ... and the card starts working again.
> But after installing updates an rebooting it stops working.
> Any clues would be wellcome.

Give the list some logs to look at...

Here is the output of /var/log/messages after plugging in the wireless
adapter:

Feb* 3 18:57:47 localhost NetworkManager: <info>* Found radio
killswitch rfkill0 (at
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-4/1-4:1.0/ieee80211/phy0/rfkill0)
(driver <unknown>)

Feb* 3 18:57:47 localhost NetworkManager: <info>* (wlan0): driver
supports SSID scans (scan_capa 0x01).

Feb* 3 18:57:47 localhost NetworkManager: <info>* Wireless now
disabled by radio killswitch

Feb* 3 18:57:47 localhost NetworkManager: <info>* (wlan0): new
802.11 WiFi device (driver: 'rt73usb')

Feb* 3 18:57:47 localhost NetworkManager: <info>* (wlan0):
exported as /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/2

Feb* 3 18:57:47 localhost NetworkManager: <info>* (wlan0): now
managed

Feb* 3 18:57:47 localhost NetworkManager: <info>* (wlan0): device
state change: 1 -> 2 (reason 2)

Feb* 3 18:57:47 localhost NetworkManager: <info>* (wlan0):
bringing up device.

Feb* 3 18:57:47 localhost NetworkManager: <info>* (wlan0):
deactivating device (reason: 2).

What does "reason: 2" mean? Does it mean that there is no driver?

Peter

Old 02-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Frank Elsner

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 19:10:43 +0100 Peter Lesterhuis wrote:

> > I reinstalled fedora 12 ... and the card starts working again.
> > > But after installing updates an rebooting it stops working.
> > > Any clues would be wellcome.
> >
> > Give the list some logs to look at...
> >
> Here is the output of /var/log/messages after plugging in the wireless
> adapter:
> Feb 3 18:57:47 localhost NetworkManager: <info> Found radio killswitch
> rfkill0 (at
> /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-4/1-4:1.0/ieee80211/phy0/rfkill0)
> (driver <unknown>)
> Feb 3 18:57:47 localhost NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0): driver
> supports SSID scans (scan_capa 0x01).
> Feb 3 18:57:47 localhost NetworkManager: <info> Wireless now disabled
> by radio killswitch

You have seen the above line that reads "Wireless now disabled by radio killswitch"?

--Frank Elsner

Old 02-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Peter Lesterhuis

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 19:10:43 +0100 Peter Lesterhuis wrote:

> > I reinstalled fedora 12 ... and the card starts working again.

> > > But after installing updates an rebooting it stops working.
> > > Any clues would be wellcome.

> > Give the list some logs to look at...
> >

> Here is the output of /var/log/messages after plugging in the wireless
> adapter:
> Feb 3 18:57:47 localhost NetworkManager: <info> Found radio killswitch
> rfkill0 (at
> /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-4/1-4:1.0/ieee80211/phy0/rfkill0)
> (driver <unknown>)
> Feb 3 18:57:47 localhost NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0): driver
> supports SSID scans (scan_capa 0x01).
> Feb 3 18:57:47 localhost NetworkManager: <info> Wireless now disabled
> by radio killswitch

You have seen the above line that reads "Wireless now disabled by radio killswitch"?

Yes, I have. But I don't know what it means. Please inform me.

Peter

Old 02-05-2010, 01:30 AM
Tim

Frank Elsner:
>> You have seen the above line that reads "Wireless now disabled
>> by radio killswitch"?

Peter Lesterhuis:
> Yes, I have. But I don't know what it means. Please inform me.

There's a physical switch on your computer that lets you turn the
wireless network on and off. It may be a button without any label, a
switch, or a keyboard key combination that you press (e.g. Fn + F2 on my
laptop).

Old 02-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Peter Lesterhuis

Frank Elsner:

>> You have seen the above line that reads "Wireless now disabled
>> by radio killswitch"?

Peter Lesterhuis:

> Yes, I have. But I don't know what it means. Please inform me.

There's a physical switch on your computer that lets you turn the
wireless network on and off. It may be a button without any label, a
switch, or a keyboard key combination that you press (e.g. Fn + F2 on my
laptop).

Thanks for explaining this.

I'll try keys en combination of keys of the keyboard (must be a hell of
a job to try any combination).

Still it is weird that when I reinstall fedora 12* from DVD the wirelss
card is working, only after updating it stops working. Also when I boot
Ubunto from cd it is working.

Peter

Old 02-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Kevin Kofler

Peter Lesterhuis wrote:
> Still it is weird that when I reinstall fedora 12 from DVD the wirelss
> card is working, only after updating it stops working. Also when I boot
> Ubunto from cd it is working.

There might be a bug in the driver which made it ignore the killswitch (and
which got fixed in the update).

Kevin Kofler

Old 02-06-2010, 04:42 AM
Tim

On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 11:34 +0100, Peter Lesterhuis wrote:
> I'll try keys en combination of keys of the keyboard (must be a hell
> of a job to try any combination).

Usually, if your computer has a hotkey sequence for killing the wireless
interface, it'll be labelled on the keys (perhaps with a diagram of a
wire with radiating curved lines around it - as an diagram for an
antenna). It's common for there to be a dedicated switch or button,
rather than using the keyboard. On some laptops, I've seen a completely
unlabelled button with a light on it as the kill switch. Mine has a
black slider switch, on the side, with black embossed labelling (very
Douglas Adams).

> Still it is weird that when I reinstall fedora 12 from DVD the
> wirelss card is working, only after updating it stops working. Also
> when I boot Ubunto from cd it is working.

Usually the kill switch is an absolute control - it'll kill the
wireless, and nothing the computer does can turn it back on. The kill
switch has to be turned on again. In some cases, it's a simple as a
mechanical switch that turns off the power to the wireless hardware.

There's a chance that the wireless, once disabled, won't restart without
some fiddling. I've had that happen, it requiring turning off, waiting
half a minute, turning on, waiting, restarting the NetworkManager
service, waiting, before something woke up again.

Funny how computers can do millions of computations a second, but take
half a minute to initialise some hardware...