Old 02-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Andras Simon

Default ext4 defaults and access time

All my partitions are ext4 and mounted with ext4 defaults from fstab.
Still, sometimes it's as if noatime was used:

[simon@pici uffi]$ date
Tue Feb 2 20:48:22 CET 2010
[simon@pici uffi]$ cat clsql-uffi-loader.lisp > /dev/null
[simon@pici uffi]$ ls -lu clsql-uffi-loader.lisp
-rw-rw-r--. 1 simon simon 2995 2010-02-02 16:24 clsql-uffi-loader.lisp

Can it be some caching issue? If so, is there a way to force ls -lu to
show the last access time, independently of whether that involves
physical access?

Andras

Old 02-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Roberto Ragusa

Andras Simon wrote:
> All my partitions are ext4 and mounted with ext4 defaults from fstab.
> Still, sometimes it's as if noatime was used:

Defaults are sometimes surprising.
Let's have a look at
cat /proc/mount

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 02-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Andras Simon

On 2/2/10, Roberto Ragusa <mail@robertoragusa.it> wrote:
> Andras Simon wrote:
>> All my partitions are ext4 and mounted with ext4 defaults from fstab.
>> Still, sometimes it's as if noatime was used:
>
> Defaults are sometimes surprising.
> Let's have a look at
> cat /proc/mount

I think you're onto something...

/dev/sda5 /home ext4 rw,seclabel,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

I definitely don't want relatime there. Would something like

.... ext4 defaults,atime ....

in fstab get rid of this?

Andras

Old 02-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 20:54 +0100, Andras Simon wrote:
> All my partitions are ext4 and mounted with ext4 defaults from fstab.
> Still, sometimes it's as if noatime was used:
>
> [simon@pici uffi]$ date
> Tue Feb 2 20:48:22 CET 2010
> [simon@pici uffi]$ cat clsql-uffi-loader.lisp > /dev/null
> [simon@pici uffi]$ ls -lu clsql-uffi-loader.lisp
> -rw-rw-r--. 1 simon simon 2995 2010-02-02 16:24 clsql-uffi-loader.lisp
>
> Can it be some caching issue? If so, is there a way to force ls -lu to
> show the last access time, independently of whether that involves
> physical access?

The last access time is the last access time is the last access time.
IOW there's no concept of a "physical" access time different from what
ls is showing you. Caching between RAM and the physical medium is
completely transparent at this level.

(I note that the file mode above includes a "." so it appears to have
extended attributes, if that helps at all).

poc

Old 02-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Robert Nichols

Andras Simon wrote:
> On 2/2/10, Roberto Ragusa <mail@robertoragusa.it> wrote:
>> Andras Simon wrote:
>>> All my partitions are ext4 and mounted with ext4 defaults from fstab.
>>> Still, sometimes it's as if noatime was used:
>> Defaults are sometimes surprising.
>> Let's have a look at
>> cat /proc/mount
>
> I think you're onto something...
>
> /dev/sda5 /home ext4 rw,seclabel,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
>
> I definitely don't want relatime there. Would something like
>
> .... ext4 defaults,atime ....
>
> in fstab get rid of this?

Yes, except you don't need to include "defaults". That's just a placeholder
for the case where no other options are specified since the fstab syntax
requires _something_ there.

Do NOT delete it.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Roberto Ragusa

Andras Simon wrote:
> On 2/2/10, Roberto Ragusa <mail@robertoragusa.it> wrote:
>> Andras Simon wrote:
>>> All my partitions are ext4 and mounted with ext4 defaults from fstab.
>>> Still, sometimes it's as if noatime was used:
>> Defaults are sometimes surprising.
>> Let's have a look at
>> cat /proc/mount
>
> I think you're onto something...
>
> /dev/sda5 /home ext4 rw,seclabel,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
>
> I definitely don't want relatime there. Would something like
>
> .... ext4 defaults,atime ....
>
> in fstab get rid of this?

There is a norelatime option, but it could be not enough.

I had this kind of problem some time ago and Kevin Fenzi told me
how to do it:

http://marc.info/?l=fedora-devel-list&m=121542196521553&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=fedora-devel-list&m=121545811619620&w=2

Bye.

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 02-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Andras Simon

On 2/2/10, Roberto Ragusa <mail@robertoragusa.it> wrote:

> There is a norelatime option, but it could be not enough.
>
> I had this kind of problem some time ago and Kevin Fenzi told me
> how to do it:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=fedora-devel-list&m=121542196521553&w=2
> http://marc.info/?l=fedora-devel-list&m=121545811619620&w=2

Thanks! But those instructions mention /proc/sys/fs/default_relatime
which doesn't exist here.

Andras

Old 02-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Rick Stevens

On 02/02/2010 02:08 PM, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
> Andras Simon wrote:
>>> Defaults are sometimes surprising.
>>> Let's have a look at
>>> cat /proc/mount
>>
>> I think you're onto something...
>>
>> /dev/sda5 /home ext4 rw,seclabel,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
>>
>> I definitely don't want relatime there. Would something like
>>
>> .... ext4 defaults,atime ....
>>
>> in fstab get rid of this?
>
> There is a norelatime option, but it could be not enough.
>
> I had this kind of problem some time ago and Kevin Fenzi told me
> how to do it:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=fedora-devel-list&m=121542196521553&w=2
> http://marc.info/?l=fedora-devel-list&m=121545811619620&w=2

Try adding "strictatime" to the fstab options. This permits overriding
any kernel defaults (e.g. ext4 defaulting to "relatime").

Old 02-03-2010, 07:29 AM
Andras Simon

On 2/3/10, Rick Stevens <ricks@nerd.com> wrote:

> Try adding "strictatime" to the fstab options. This permits overriding
> any kernel defaults (e.g. ext4 defaulting to "relatime").

This did it! Thanks!

Andras

Old 02-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Mike Cloaked

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 1:11 AM, Rick Stevens-2 [via Fedora Users]
<ml-node+183782-2038788444@n3.nabble.com> wrote:
> On 02/02/2010 02:08 PM, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
>> Andras Simon wrote:
>>>
>>> I think you're onto something...
>>>
>>> /dev/sda5 /home ext4 rw,seclabel,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
>>>
>>> I definitely don't want relatime there. Would something like
>>>
>>> .... ext4 * *defaults,atime ....
>>>
>>> in fstab get rid of this?
>>
>> There is a norelatime option, but it could be not enough.
>>
>> I had this kind of problem some time ago and Kevin Fenzi told me
>> how to do it:
>>
>> http://marc.info/?l=fedora-devel-list&m=121542196521553&w=2
>> http://marc.info/?l=fedora-devel-list&m=121545811619620&w=2
> Try adding "strictatime" to the fstab options. *This permits overriding
> any kernel defaults (e.g. ext4 defaulting to "relatime").

Can someone explain why it would be desirable to go to atime for the
mounts, which I understand is an expensive option in terms of IO? I
thought that the move to relative as default was a carefully
considered issue by kernel developers?

--
mike