Old 02-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Jim

Default Smartctl and SATA drives

FC12-x86_64/KDE

Can you test SATA hard drives using Smartctl ?

What test do you run to determine if if you have a defective drive ?

Old 02-02-2010, 06:57 PM
François Cami

Hi Jim,

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 14:16:36 -0500
Jim <mickeyboa@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> FC12-x86_64/KDE
>
> Can you test SATA hard drives using Smartctl ?

Yes, see `man smartctl` for details.

> What test do you run to determine if if you have a defective drive ?

I tend to monitor the "Reallocated_Sector_Ct", "Current_Pending_Sector"
and "Offline_Uncorrectable" lines of `smartctl -a /dev/sda`, after
running tests using "-t conveyance" for new drives, then "-t long"
every week or so.
You might want to configure smartd as well (see /etc/smartd.conf).