Old 02-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Antonio M

Default Problems after installation with frequent locks

I am helping a friend of mine to set up his machine with Fedora 12
1) we installed by DVD and it was o.k
2) after rebooting we set up the user
3) we started to upgrade with latest updates (but at the moment we
have not yet upgraded kernel) with Package kit
4) we are experiencing system locks very often
5) we are using an AMD system with 2 Gb of Ram and an ATI graphic card

if after kernel updating shall experience such locks, what shall I try??

The computer is working great with Windows, so we discarded any
hardware problems.

Tnx

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag

Old 02-04-2010, 09:28 PM
James Wilkinson

Antonio M wrote:
> I am helping a friend of mine to set up his machine with Fedora 12
> 1) we installed by DVD and it was o.k
> 2) after rebooting we set up the user
> 3) we started to upgrade with latest updates (but at the moment we
> have not yet upgraded kernel) with Package kit
> 4) we are experiencing system locks very often
> 5) we are using an AMD system with 2 Gb of Ram and an ATI graphic card
>
> if after kernel updating shall experience such locks, what shall I try??
>
> The computer is working great with Windows, so we discarded any
> hardware problems.

Try:
· using it in text mode;
. using the nomodeset kernel parameter;
· using vesa, radeonhd and radeon drivers;
· using “nodri” in your xorg.conf file;
· trying various graphical screensavers, since they exercise the video
drivers the most.

It’s still possible that it could be hardware problems: Linux
(obviously) puts different things in different memory addresses, and
Windows might well put something in a faulty memory location that
doesn’t lead to noticeable problems. So a memtest86 might be in order,
too.

James.

--
E-mail: james@ | Say it with flowers, send a triffid.