Old 02-02-2010, 09:38 AM
"Bryn M. Reeves"

Default Open source medication adherence tools?

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for any open source software designed to help patients with
medication adherence (that is, sticking to and tracking a regular regime
of medications).

I've searched around a fair bit but haven't yet come up with much;
there's some cool R-based statistical tools for analysing adherence
studies and a lot of freeware (no source) stuff that covers the kind of
reminder/patient help tool that I'm looking for but not much in the open
space for that kind of need.

I'm interested in creating something to fill this gap - I have to admit
that my ideal target would be a Maemo application for Nokia's N-series
Linux tablets/phones but I think it makes sense to structure something
like this in a way that makes it portable to a wide range of desktop
environments and devices without too much effort.

I'd be really interested to hear of anything that already exists in this
area - one thing I'm looking for is data to "seed" an embedded database
of common medications, pack sizes, dose schedules etc. All this
information is freely available but the versions that already exist in
electronic format that I've found all have cost and licensing conditions
that would be problematic.

I'd also loge to hear from anyone who might like to collaborate on this
kind of project.

Regards,
Bryn.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Ralph Blach

Brian,

I agree this is a good endevour, and if you start it, I will participate.

But, IMHO, pills are the worst medication delivery method possible.
They depend on a person to take on every day, an iffy proposal for even the
most dedicated at best.

A much better way to deliver medicine would be to have method, that be put into the body,
dispense the medicine and then disolve.

Chip

Old 02-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Ralph Blach

Old 02-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> I'd also loge to hear from anyone who might like to collaborate on this
> kind of project.

Interested in that $50k contest Nokia announced yesterday?

Seeing as I work in healthcare (pharmacy) myself, I have not seen any
promising open source or free applications of any value. There are so
many legal requirements, certifications, and databases that cost money
to obtain that it prohibits any open source pharmacy application from
coming into fruition, as you have found out.

If you want to create a Maemo app, I'd be interested in collaboration.
I've got two small packages in Fremantle already. This project should
not interfere with my no-compete clause.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:46 PM
"Bryn M. Reeves"

On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 10:59 -0500, Ralph Blach wrote:
> I agree this is a good endevour, and if you start it, I will participate.

Great! I'll keep you posted as to how I get on.

> But, IMHO, pills are the worst medication delivery method possible.
> They depend on a person to take on every day, an iffy proposal for even the
> most dedicated at best.

That's very true and I certainly hope that we start to see some real
applications of technology to help ease the burden on people who are
dependent on some sort of medication in their lives.

In the meantime though I think tools that help individuals to manage
things better are definitely a good stop-gap.

> A much better way to deliver medicine would be to have method, that be
> put into the body, dispense the medicine and then disolve.

Actually for some types of drugs this sort of delivery system is already
available. Not quite something that dissolves in the body (rather,
they're usually an oil-based or solid carrier that disperses very slowly
through tissues) but depot injections offer some of these advantages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injection_%28medicine%29#Depot_injection

Downside is that they are only available for quite limited ranges of
drugs at this time and are not suited if there is a likelihood that the
drug regime or dosing will need to be adjusted.

I agree that new technology should hold some promise in this area.

Cheers,
Bryn.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:56 PM
"Bryn M. Reeves"

On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 10:30 -0600, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> > I'd also loge to hear from anyone who might like to collaborate on this
> > kind of project.
>
> Interested in that $50k contest Nokia announced yesterday?

Actually, I hadn't even heard of it! But now you got me interested!

I've owned all the N-series tablets since the 800 - my 900 arrived the
other week and although it does have some rough edges I'm really pretty
happy with it (certainly, it feels a lot less "beta" than the
"professional", proprietary tool that I previously used for managing RAW
files from my cameras!).

> Seeing as I work in healthcare (pharmacy) myself, I have not seen any
> promising open source or free applications of any value. There are so
> many legal requirements, certifications, and databases that cost money
> to obtain that it prohibits any open source pharmacy application from
> coming into fruition, as you have found out.

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I'm not looking to create a pharmacy app (in
fact, there seemed already to be some medical records / stores type apps
floating around although they are not my interest here so did not look
to see if they are any good).

This is purely for individuals to track their own medication.

E.g. "I need to take the blue inhaler as I need it, the green and brown
ones twice a day, the yellow pills in the morning, the pink ones at
night and two of the brown ones with lunch.. now, what have I
forgotten?" :-)

The idea'd be that you enter the drugs you're taking and the schedule
you take them on (ideally with a database that knows common pack/blister
strip sizes and regimes) and the app issues reminders, asks for
acknowledgment that you've taken the dose etc.

I can see lots of potential for additional functionality - pretty graphs
spring instantly to mind but also reminding when you need to order new
supplies, checking off packs at the end of the day/week/month to make
sure nothing got skipped etc.

> If you want to create a Maemo app, I'd be interested in collaboration.
> I've got two small packages in Fremantle already. This project should
> not interfere with my no-compete clause.

That would be great! It's been a while since I've done anything
involving a GUI but I've started having a play with the Maemo 5 SDK at
home.

Cheers,
Bryn.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Frank Cox

On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 16:56 +0000, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> The idea'd be that you enter the drugs you're taking and the schedule
> you take them on (ideally with a database that knows common
> pack/blister
> strip sizes and regimes) and the app issues reminders, asks for
> acknowledgment that you've taken the dose etc.

kalarm (remind/tkremind, etc) could be set up to do quite a bit of what
you are looking for.

I use kalarm to schedule everything from paying taxes to feeding the
fish. It works very well.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Michael Cronenworth

http://www.callingallinovators.com

> I've owned all the N-series tablets since the 800 - my 900 arrived the
> other week and although it does have some rough edges I'm really pretty
> happy with it (certainly, it feels a lot less "beta" than the
> "professional", proprietary tool that I previously used for managing RAW
> files from my cameras!).

This is my first N-series tablet, but I've owned many Nokia devices over
the years.

> Sorry if I wasn't clear - I'm not looking to create a pharmacy app (in
> fact, there seemed already to be some medical records / stores type apps
> floating around although they are not my interest here so did not look
> to see if they are any good).
>
> This is purely for individuals to track their own medication.
>
> E.g. "I need to take the blue inhaler as I need it, the green and brown
> ones twice a day, the yellow pills in the morning, the pink ones at
> night and two of the brown ones with lunch.. now, what have I
> forgotten?" :-)
>
> The idea'd be that you enter the drugs you're taking and the schedule
> you take them on (ideally with a database that knows common pack/blister
> strip sizes and regimes) and the app issues reminders, asks for
> acknowledgment that you've taken the dose etc.
>
> I can see lots of potential for additional functionality - pretty graphs
> spring instantly to mind but also reminding when you need to order new
> supplies, checking off packs at the end of the day/week/month to make
> sure nothing got skipped etc.

Yes, I was just stating that the global pharmacy arena with regards to
open source is dull.

> That would be great! It's been a while since I've done anything
> involving a GUI but I've started having a play with the Maemo 5 SDK at
> home.

Just hit me up on IM, maemo-developers, or whatever communication you
want to use, I'll be around.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Frank Cox wrote:
> kalarm (remind/tkremind, etc) could be set up to do quite a bit of what
> you are looking for.
>
> I use kalarm to schedule everything from paying taxes to feeding the
> fish. It works very well.

Maemo has a nice library for alarms. libalarm.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Michael Cronenworth

*http://www.callingallinnovators.com