Old 01-06-2008, 06:25 PM
"Knute Johnson"

Default Sun Java on F8 - Improved instructions

I went back to F8 i386 yesterday because I need to be able to use
Sun's Java plugin with Firefox. In the process I found out a couple
of interesting things.

1) The XINERAMA bug is indeed fixed with version 1.0-4 of libxcb

2) You can configure the Sun Java plugin to work with alternatives
just like java and javac

I've updated my instruction page to reflect this. I also moved this
file although the old address will still work.

http://rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com/sun-java-on-F8.html

Thanks,

--
Knute Johnson
Molon Labe...

Old 01-07-2008, 03:27 AM
"Amadeus W.M."

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 11:25:15 -0800, Knute Johnson wrote:

> I went back to F8 i386 yesterday because I need to be able to use Sun's
> Java plugin with Firefox. In the process I found out a couple of
> interesting things.
>
> 1) The XINERAMA bug is indeed fixed with version 1.0-4 of libxcb
>
> 2) You can configure the Sun Java plugin to work with alternatives just
> like java and javac
>
> I've updated my instruction page to reflect this. I also moved this
> file although the old address will still work.
>
> http://rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com/sun-java-on-F8.html
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Knute Johnson
> Molon Labe...

I'm getting some errors trying to install java sun-compat:

[root@phoenix ~]# rpm -q jre
jre-1.6.0_03-fcs

[root@phoenix ~]# rpm -qa | grep -i jpackage
jpackage-utils-1.7.3-1jpp.3.fc8

[root@phoenix ~]# rpm -Uvh java-1.6.0-sun-compat-1.6.0.03-1jpp.i586.rpm
warning: java-1.6.0-sun-compat-1.6.0.03-1jpp.i586.rpm: Header V3 DSA
signature: NOKEY, key ID c431416d
error: Failed dependencies:
jdk = 2000:1.6.0_03-fcs is needed by java-1.6.0-sun
compat-1.6.0.03-1jpp.i586

[root@phoenix ~]# yum list | grep -i jdk
jdk.i586 2000:1.6.0-fcs installed
ldapjdk.i386 4.17-1jpp.7 fedora
ldapjdk-javadoc.i386 4.17-1jpp.7 fedora
[root@phoenix ~]#

I can't find jdk 1.6.0.3. So I uninstalled sun's jre, installed sun's jdk and
installation worked.

Still, I can't view cnn video. If I remember correctly,
cnn video used to be stored temporarily as /tmp/FlashXYZ. Doesn't seem to
be the case anymore?

Also, for my curiosity, the installation instructions (which I used in the
past) from sun don't mention anything about jpackage and sun-compat.
Are these packages really necessary (for sun's jre), and if so, why?

Old 01-07-2008, 03:46 AM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 06 January 2008, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
>On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 11:25:15 -0800, Knute Johnson wrote:
>> I went back to F8 i386 yesterday because I need to be able to use Sun's
>> Java plugin with Firefox. In the process I found out a couple of
>> interesting things.
>>
>> 1) The XINERAMA bug is indeed fixed with version 1.0-4 of libxcb
>>
>> 2) You can configure the Sun Java plugin to work with alternatives just
>> like java and javac
>>
>> I've updated my instruction page to reflect this. I also moved this
>> file although the old address will still work.
>>
>> http://rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com/sun-java-on-F8.html
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Knute Johnson
>> Molon Labe...
>
>I'm getting some errors trying to install java sun-compat:
>
>[root@phoenix ~]# rpm -q jre
>jre-1.6.0_03-fcs
>
>[root@phoenix ~]# rpm -qa | grep -i jpackage
>jpackage-utils-1.7.3-1jpp.3.fc8
>
>[root@phoenix ~]# rpm -Uvh java-1.6.0-sun-compat-1.6.0.03-1jpp.i586.rpm
>warning: java-1.6.0-sun-compat-1.6.0.03-1jpp.i586.rpm: Header V3 DSA
>signature: NOKEY, key ID c431416d
>error: Failed dependencies:
> jdk = 2000:1.6.0_03-fcs is needed by java-1.6.0-sun
>compat-1.6.0.03-1jpp.i586
>
>[root@phoenix ~]# yum list | grep -i jdk
>jdk.i586 2000:1.6.0-fcs installed
>ldapjdk.i386 4.17-1jpp.7 fedora
>ldapjdk-javadoc.i386 4.17-1jpp.7 fedora
>[root@phoenix ~]#
>

>I can't find jdk 1.6.0.3. So I uninstalled sun's jre, installed sun's jdk
> and installation worked.
>
>Still, I can't view cnn video. If I remember correctly,
>cnn video used to be stored temporarily as /tmp/FlashXYZ. Doesn't seem to
>be the case anymore?
>
>Also, for my curiosity, the installation instructions (which I used in the
>past) from sun don't mention anything about jpackage and sun-compat.
>Are these packages really necessary (for sun's jre), and if so, why?

I just got through pulling the majority of my plugins back with amrecover, and
moving them to a /usr/lib/plugins that is a link to firefox/plugins, and the
aboutlugins now shows a quite lengthy list including the java stuffs.

I can watch about 10 of the cnn video's, with good sound once I'd nuked that
busted pulseaudio, but somewhere around the 10th video in a row,
firefox-2.0.0.11 went away, to be replaced with its crash report form. It
has done that several times before when I was running FC6, now on F8, so if
enough of use submit those reports, it just might get fixed. I believe it is
a ff problem, not a fedora problem.

Has anyone installed the beta 3 of firefox? How is it working?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-07-2008, 05:08 AM
"Knute Johnson"

>On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 11:25:15 -0800, Knute Johnson wrote:
>
>> I went back to F8 i386 yesterday because I need to be able to use Sun's
>> Java plugin with Firefox. In the process I found out a couple of
>> interesting things.
>>
>> 1) The XINERAMA bug is indeed fixed with version 1.0-4 of libxcb
>>
>> 2) You can configure the Sun Java plugin to work with alternatives just
>> like java and javac
>>
>> I've updated my instruction page to reflect this. I also moved this
>> file although the old address will still work.
>>
>> http://rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com/sun-java-on-F8.html
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Knute Johnson
>> Molon Labe...
>

>I'm getting some errors trying to install java sun-compat:
>
>[root@phoenix ~]# rpm -q jre
>jre-1.6.0_03-fcs
>
>[root@phoenix ~]# rpm -qa | grep -i jpackage
>jpackage-utils-1.7.3-1jpp.3.fc8
>
>[root@phoenix ~]# rpm -Uvh java-1.6.0-sun-compat-1.6.0.03-1jpp.i586.rpm
>warning: java-1.6.0-sun-compat-1.6.0.03-1jpp.i586.rpm: Header V3 DSA
>signature: NOKEY, key ID c431416d
>error: Failed dependencies:
> jdk = 2000:1.6.0_03-fcs is needed by java-1.6.0-sun
>compat-1.6.0.03-1jpp.i586

The JRE or JDK needs to be installed before the sun-compat RPM.

--
Knute Johnson
Molon Labe...

Old 01-07-2008, 05:11 AM
"Knute Johnson"

>I just got through pulling the majority of my plugins back with amrecover, and
>moving them to a /usr/lib/plugins that is a link to firefox/plugins, and the
>aboutlugins now shows a quite lengthy list including the java stuffs.

I think you will find as I did that the only functioning java plugin
(if there are more than one listed) is the icedtea version. Try that
Sun test site and see what it reports as the JRE.

--
Knute Johnson
Molon Labe...

Old 01-07-2008, 05:11 AM
"Knute Johnson"

>Also, for my curiosity, the installation instructions (which I used in the
>past) from sun don't mention anything about jpackage and sun-compat.
>Are these packages really necessary (for sun's jre), and if so, why?

Not necessary but it does the alternatives setup for you.

--
Knute Johnson
Molon Labe...

Old 01-08-2008, 12:15 AM
"Amadeus W.M."

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 22:08:23 -0800, Knute Johnson wrote:

>>On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 11:25:15 -0800, Knute Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> I went back to F8 i386 yesterday because I need to be able to use
>>> Sun's Java plugin with Firefox. In the process I found out a couple
>>> of interesting things.
>>>
>>> 1) The XINERAMA bug is indeed fixed with version 1.0-4 of libxcb
>>>
>>> 2) You can configure the Sun Java plugin to work with alternatives
>>> just like java and javac
>>>
>>> I've updated my instruction page to reflect this. I also moved this
>>> file although the old address will still work.
>>>
>>> http://rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com/sun-java-on-F8.html
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Knute Johnson
>>> Molon Labe...
>>

>>I'm getting some errors trying to install java sun-compat:
>>
>>[root@phoenix ~]# rpm -q jre
>>jre-1.6.0_03-fcs
>>
>>[root@phoenix ~]# rpm -qa | grep -i jpackage
>>jpackage-utils-1.7.3-1jpp.3.fc8
>>
>>[root@phoenix ~]# rpm -Uvh java-1.6.0-sun-compat-1.6.0.03-1jpp.i586.rpm
>>warning: java-1.6.0-sun-compat-1.6.0.03-1jpp.i586.rpm: Header V3 DSA
>>signature: NOKEY, key ID c431416d
>>error: Failed dependencies:
>> jdk = 2000:1.6.0_03-fcs is needed by java-1.6.0-sun
>>compat-1.6.0.03-1jpp.i586
>
> The JRE or JDK needs to be installed before the sun-compat RPM.
>
> --
> Knute Johnson
> Molon Labe...

Sun's jre WAS installed, but java-XXX-sun-compat wanted jdk, as it can be
seen from my post. Once I replaced jre with jdk the compat package installed.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:22 AM
"Knute Johnson"

>Sun's jre WAS installed, but java-XXX-sun-compat wanted jdk, as it can be
>seen from my post. Once I replaced jre with jdk the compat package installed.

I'll play with it and see if I can see what's up.

--
Knute Johnson
Molon Labe...

Old 01-08-2008, 04:51 AM
"Knute Johnson"

>>Sun's jre WAS installed, but java-XXX-sun-compat wanted jdk, as it can be
>>seen from my post. Once I replaced jre with jdk the compat package installed.
>
>I'll play with it and see if I can see what's up.

Amadeus:

Turns out that you are correct, the java-1.6.0-sun package is the one
to use with the JRE. The problem is that you have to build the
package from the source RPM. I tried that and was not successful.
Maybe somebody that knows what they are doing can try it and provide
detailed instructions. So for now, the simple installation is for
the JDK.