Old 01-06-2008, 04:01 PM
"subhodip biswas"

Default fedora 8 network start behavior

On Jan 6, 2008 10:16 PM, Jonathan Horne <linux08@dfwlp.com> wrote:
> i just installed a fedora after a long pause with fedora (ive not looked at it
> since about FC4). after a few live cds, i chose the live-kde-i386, and used
> it to do an install. using yum, i finished off a package set im fairly happy
> with.
>
> however, ive noticied that the eth0 doesnt become active until i finally log
> in... not good! primary function of this box will be to host my vmware
> server, so i need to be able to WOL the box, and expect normal "server"
> behavior.
>
> what can i check or change to make sure the eth0 comes up without first
> logging on?

why not trying activating the eth0 at boot . i am using a fedora 8 .
it works fine for me

> thanks,
> --
> Jonathan Horne
> http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org
> linux08 _@_ dfwlp.com

Regards
Subhodip Biswas

GPG key : FAEA34AB
Server : pgp.mit.edu
http://subhodipbiswas.wordpress.com
http:/www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/SubhodipBiswas

Old 01-06-2008, 04:05 PM
"Jonathan Underwood"

On 06/01/2008, Jonathan Horne <linux08@dfwlp.com> wrote:
> what can i check or change to make sure the eth0 comes up without first
> logging on?

Turn off the NetworkManager service. Turn on the network service.
system-config-network.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:16 PM
"Vivek J. Patankar"

Jonathan Horne wrote:
however, ive noticied that the eth0 doesnt become active until i finally log
in... not good! primary function of this box will be to host my vmware
server, so i need to be able to WOL the box, and expect normal "server"
behavior.

I think NetworkManager is the culprit here.

# chkconfig NetworkManager off; service NetworkManager stop
# chkconfig network on; service network start

विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)

Registered Linux User #374218
Fedora release 8 (Werewolf)
Linux 2.6.23.8-63.fc8 x86_64

Old 01-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Jonathan Horne

On Sunday 06 January 2008 11:05:30 am Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> On 06/01/2008, Jonathan Horne <linux08@dfwlp.com> wrote:
> > what can i check or change to make sure the eth0 comes up without first
> > logging on?
>
> Turn off the NetworkManager service. Turn on the network service.
> system-config-network.

yep, that took care of it. thanks.
--
Jonathan Horne
http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org

Old 01-06-2008, 04:42 PM
"subhodip biswas"

if you are using a graphical session then
system-config-network ---> connection type --> edit ---> activate on boot .

well though its same as chkconfig ,but it is also an alternative.