Old 01-06-2008, 03:51 PM
"Dave Cross"

Default Wireless Not Working on F8

I've just carried out a complete new installation of F8 on a system
which has been running various versions of Fedora for the last two or
three years.

The system has a wireless PCI card which it uses as its only
connection to my home network (and, hence, the internet). This device
is recognised as "Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset". It
has worked just fine under all previous versions of Fedora but since
the upgrade to F8 the wireless networking doesn't seem to work.

I'm using Network Manager (as I did with FC6 and F7) and my wireless
network is seen, but when I try to connect to it, the icon twirls
round for a while before failing.

One thing I've noticed is that I seem to have three network interfaces
eth0, eth1 and wifi0. eth0 is the (unused) ethernet port and the other
two both seem to be the wireless card. I don't think I had that on F7.

Since switching to using Network Manager a year or so ago, I seem to
have forgotten everything I knew about debugging network problems on
Linux. So any suggestions as to where to start would be most
appreciated.

I've attached the output from iwconfig and ifconfig as well as lsmod.
I've also attached the /var/log/messages output which is created when
I try to connect to the network.

Thanks,

Dave...

Old 01-07-2008, 05:58 PM
"John W. Linville"

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 04:51:27PM +0000, Dave Cross wrote:
> I've just carried out a complete new installation of F8 on a system
> which has been running various versions of Fedora for the last two or
> three years.

I'm sorry that I have no immediate answer. Please got to
bugzilla.redhat.com and open a new bug there. Please either assign
it to me or put me in the CC list. Please also attach all the files
to that bug that you attached to your original email message.

If possible, please also include the version of the last F7 kernel
known to function correctly with your hardware.

Thanks,

John
--
John W. Linville
linville@redhat.com

Old 01-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Rick Bilonick

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 16:51 +0000, Dave Cross wrote:
> I've just carried out a complete new installation of F8 on a system
> which has been running various versions of Fedora for the last two or
> three years.
>
> The system has a wireless PCI card which it uses as its only
> connection to my home network (and, hence, the internet). This device
> is recognised as "Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset". It
> has worked just fine under all previous versions of Fedora but since
> the upgrade to F8 the wireless networking doesn't seem to work.
>
> I'm using Network Manager (as I did with FC6 and F7) and my wireless
> network is seen, but when I try to connect to it, the icon twirls
> round for a while before failing.
>
> One thing I've noticed is that I seem to have three network interfaces
> eth0, eth1 and wifi0. eth0 is the (unused) ethernet port and the other
> two both seem to be the wireless card. I don't think I had that on F7.
>
> Since switching to using Network Manager a year or so ago, I seem to
> have forgotten everything I knew about debugging network problems on
> Linux. So any suggestions as to where to start would be most
> appreciated.
>
> I've attached the output from iwconfig and ifconfig as well as lsmod.
> I've also attached the /var/log/messages output which is created when
> I try to connect to the network.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave...

Is the wireless router using WEP? Is it using a shared key? I had a lot
of trouble getting a bcm4318 mini wifi card working under F8 using
ndiswrapper (worked on F6 and previous). I tried a lot of things and one
thing that seemed to help was switching the router from a shared key to
open system (which from what I read is actually safer). Just my 2 cents.

Rick B.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:56 PM
Timothy Murphy

John W. Linville wrote:

>> I've just carried out a complete new installation of F8 on a system
>> which has been running various versions of Fedora for the last two or
>> three years.
>
> I'm sorry that I have no immediate answer. Please got to
> bugzilla.redhat.com and open a new bug there. Please either assign
> it to me or put me in the CC list. Please also attach all the files
> to that bug that you attached to your original email message.
>
> If possible, please also include the version of the last F7 kernel
> known to function correctly with your hardware.

Just a note to say I have what sounds like the same problem,
with an Orinoco Classic Gold Card on my laptop.
It is running currently under kernel 2.6.23.12-52.fc7
but it does not connect under Fedora-8, under any kernel.
I'm not running NetworkManager.

The symptom is that the laptop sends a DHCPREQUEST to the desktop
which responds with a DHCPACK,
but there is no record of the laptop receiving the latter.

I'll add a note to the bug if there is one.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Timothy Murphy

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Just a note to say I have what sounds like the same problem,
> with an Orinoco Classic Gold Card on my laptop.
> It is running currently under kernel 2.6.23.12-52.fc7
> but it does not connect under Fedora-8, under any kernel.
> I'm not running NetworkManager.

Apologies.
On further study, there was a typo in my WEP key.
WiFi is working fine now.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Old 01-10-2008, 08:08 PM
"Dave Cross"

On Jan 6, 2008 4:51 PM, Dave Cross <davorg@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just carried out a complete new installation of F8 on a system
> which has been running various versions of Fedora for the last two or
> three years.
>
> The system has a wireless PCI card which it uses as its only
> connection to my home network (and, hence, the internet). This device
> is recognised as "Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset". It
> has worked just fine under all previous versions of Fedora but since
> the upgrade to F8 the wireless networking doesn't seem to work.

Thanks for all the advice, but by prodding away at it, the networking
has started to work.

I'm not sure exactly what I did to fix it tho' - so I'm afraid I can't
be much help to anyone experiencing similar problems.

Dave...