Old 01-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Robert L Cochran

Default Mailman 2.1.5-10.FC2 Problem; Probably sendmail-related

I have a server box running Fedora Core 2 that has been just sitting
there, dutifully working away, for a long while now. I haven't updated
it at all since the 2.6.10-1.771_FC2 kernel, and that was a long time ago!

The server runs:

DNS via bind 9.2.3-13
sendmail 8.12.11-4.6
mailman 2.1.5-10.fc2

I have two low-volume mailing lists for my family. Suddenly, I am not
getting any incoming emails from either list. Sending test emails to one
of the list is showing they are being posted to the list archives, but I
am not getting any posts by email suddenly.

Top is showing that sendmail is very active. There seems to be 3 or 4
sendmail processes.

My hard drive light stays resolutely on, pretty much all the time. What
on earth can be using the hard drive so heavily?

ssh connections into this server (from my internal network) take a
terribly long time to establish. They take 30 seconds or so before I can
get a shell prompt back over the wire. I just now ssh'ed into the
server, then issued 'shutdown -r now', and it took more than 1 minute
for the prompt to come back.

I'm wondering if sendmail has been compromised and is sending out huge
numbers of outgoing email. Is there a way of finding out what sendmail
is doing, to see if it is relaying mail for someone external to my network?

Can anyone suggest what might be the problem here? How can I rescue things?

Thanks

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA

Old 01-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Nigel Henry

On Sunday 06 January 2008 16:49, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> I have a server box running Fedora Core 2 that has been just sitting
> there, dutifully working away, for a long while now. I haven't updated
> it at all since the 2.6.10-1.771_FC2 kernel, and that was a long time ago!
>
> The server runs:
>
> DNS via bind 9.2.3-13
> sendmail 8.12.11-4.6
> mailman 2.1.5-10.fc2
>
> I have two low-volume mailing lists for my family. Suddenly, I am not
> getting any incoming emails from either list. Sending test emails to one
> of the list is showing they are being posted to the list archives, but I
> am not getting any posts by email suddenly.
>
> Top is showing that sendmail is very active. There seems to be 3 or 4
> sendmail processes.
>
> My hard drive light stays resolutely on, pretty much all the time. What
> on earth can be using the hard drive so heavily?
>
> ssh connections into this server (from my internal network) take a
> terribly long time to establish. They take 30 seconds or so before I can
> get a shell prompt back over the wire. I just now ssh'ed into the
> server, then issued 'shutdown -r now', and it took more than 1 minute
> for the prompt to come back.
>
> I'm wondering if sendmail has been compromised and is sending out huge
> numbers of outgoing email. Is there a way of finding out what sendmail
> is doing, to see if it is relaying mail for someone external to my network?
>
> Can anyone suggest what might be the problem here? How can I rescue things?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob Cochran
> Greenbelt, Maryland, USA

I'm posting from FC2, so I'm not going to have a go at you still using FC2,
but I think you should have taken advantage of Fedora legacy before it shut
down. there were a lot of security updates provided by it, including
sendmail.

I have a copy of the latest sendmail security update from Fedora legacy if you
want it (sendmail-8.12.11-4.26.legacy). Also there is a later kernel from
Fedora legacy, but I can't e-mail that, as it's too big
(2.6.10-2.3.legacy_FC2 , but if you have somewhere I can upload it to, I will
do.

I may well be wrong, but I think I'd fire up ps auxw on the CLI, find out the
PID's of the sendmail processes that are running, kill them, and then restart
sendmail, and see if the problem persists.

Nigel.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Robert L Cochran

I'm posting from FC2, so I'm not going to have a go at you still using FC2,
but I think you should have taken advantage of Fedora legacy before it shut
down. there were a lot of security updates provided by it, including
sendmail.

I have a copy of the latest sendmail security update from Fedora legacy if you
want it (sendmail-8.12.11-4.26.legacy). Also there is a later kernel from
Fedora legacy, but I can't e-mail that, as it's too big
(2.6.10-2.3.legacy_FC2 , but if you have somewhere I can upload it to, I will
do.

I may well be wrong, but I think I'd fire up ps auxw on the CLI, find out the
PID's of the sendmail processes that are running, kill them, and then restart
sendmail, and see if the problem persists.

Thanks, I will think about this. I'm starting to think I need to have a
Fedora 8 server.

Meanwhile, I did an 'ls /var/spool' and got the following output. Look
at the monster 20,660,224 size given for the mqueue directory below!
Does this mean I have a massively sized mail queue? I can cd inside it
but I cannot list the directory. What could be happening here, is there
any way to fix this problem? Perhaps it got corrupted at some time in
the past?

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jun 6 2004 mailman
drwx------ 2 root mail 20660224 Jan 6 12:13 mqueue
drwxr-xr-x 2 rpm rpm 4096 Dec 28 2004 repackage

Bob

Old 01-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Martin Marques

Robert L Cochran escribió:
I have a server box running Fedora Core 2 that has been just sitting
there, dutifully working away, for a long while now. I haven't updated
it at all since the 2.6.10-1.771_FC2 kernel, and that was a long time ago!

The server runs:

DNS via bind 9.2.3-13
sendmail 8.12.11-4.6
mailman 2.1.5-10.fc2

This mailman had a serious bug. You should upgrade to Fedora 8 or go to
CentOS 5.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Martin Marques

Nigel Henry escribió:

I have a server box running Fedora Core 2 that has been just sitting
there, dutifully working away, for a long while now. I haven't updated
it at all since the 2.6.10-1.771_FC2 kernel, and that was a long time ago!

The server runs:

DNS via bind 9.2.3-13
sendmail 8.12.11-4.6
mailman 2.1.5-10.fc2

I'm posting from FC2, so I'm not going to have a go at you still using FC2,
but I think you should have taken advantage of Fedora legacy before it shut
down. there were a lot of security updates provided by it, including
sendmail.

There was a security issue related to mailman package which didn't
properly addressed by fedora-legacy before shut down. I have patched
version for FC4. May help.

Any way, my suggestion would be to try CentOS.