Old 01-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Gene Heskett

Default mail aliases question

On Sunday 06 January 2008, lostson wrote:
>On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 10:03:54 -0500
>
>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> What is the usual method of sending roots local mail to a user so that
>> kmail can be run as a user, and still get roots mail?
>
>edit the file /etc/aliases and at the bottom it has a section about root's
> mail put you username in there save the file and then run newaliases. then
> add you local account to kmail and it will receive roots mail.

Thank you. I just did that. One more hurdle to running as me, not root, out
of the way.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 06 January 2008, Mike Chambers wrote:
>On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 10:03 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> What is the usual method of sending roots local mail to a user so that
>> kmail can be run as a user, and still get roots mail?
>
>Edit /etc/aliases, scroll to the bottom, uncomment the #root line, and
>change the "marc" user to the one you want.
>
>If it is a user on another machine or email addy, just put it in the
>same way..
>
>root: user
>
>or
>
>root: user@machine-name
>
>or
>
>root: user@domain.com
>

>Then run the command "newaliases" after that and should be it. Hope
>that helps.

Done, thanks Mike

Old 01-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Brian Chadwick

create a file called ".forward" in /root. The content of the file is "
user@localhost" .

Old 01-07-2008, 12:46 AM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 06 January 2008, Brian Chadwick wrote:
>create a file called ".forward" in /root. The content of the file is "
>user@localhost" .

Ok, that's done too. One of these ought to get it.

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-07-2008, 01:45 AM
John Summerfield

Brian Chadwick wrote:
create a file called ".forward" in /root. The content of the file is "
user@localhost" .

I don't recommend that; it works for some MTAs and not for others. It's
okay maybe for individual users for temporary changes, but really it's a
relic of the 70s and 80s, where email clients expected direct delivery
and users read their mail from a shell account on the machine which
takes delivery of their mail.

Some email users don't have shell accounts; indeed only users with a
need for a shell account should have one. With no shell account, and no
home directory (not essentially tied to no shell account) there's no
place to store .forward, and even where there is security suggests users
shouldn't be able to read others' files, and if email is delivered by
non-root (as it should be) then the MTA's delivery agent won't see it.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 01-07-2008, 02:26 AM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 06 January 2008, John Summerfield wrote:
>Brian Chadwick wrote:
>> create a file called ".forward" in /root. The content of the file is "
>> user@localhost" .
>
>I don't recommend that; it works for some MTAs and not for others. It's
>okay maybe for individual users for temporary changes, but really it's a
>relic of the 70s and 80s, where email clients expected direct delivery
>and users read their mail from a shell account on the machine which
>takes delivery of their mail.
>
>Some email users don't have shell accounts; indeed only users with a
>need for a shell account should have one. With no shell account, and no
>home directory (not essentially tied to no shell account) there's no
>place to store .forward, and even where there is security suggests users
>shouldn't be able to read others' files, and if email is delivered by
>non-root (as it should be) then the MTA's delivery agent won't see it.

As I restore things, such as cron jobs, I'll make sure the mailto: is set to
me. However, there are some apps that apparently hard code it to send to the
user that ran them & the only way around that is to fix su so it doesn't run
into selinux pre-login of anybody. I'll check on the next reboot to see if
runcon is the answer there, I've made the changes to rc.local to use that
function instead of su.

Thanks John.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-07-2008, 07:25 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 22:26 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> there are some apps that apparently hard code it to send to the
> user that ran them & the only way around that is to fix su so it
> doesn't run into selinux pre-login of anybody.

The aliases file isn't just for the root user. Bung in any other
program mail addresses aimed at root, like you see for the "apache" user
mail, and so on. And the last alias that says root goes to gene takes
care of it all.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:25 AM
John Summerfield

Brian Chadwick wrote:

[...]

That's not what I had in mind, but it might be an okay interpretation.

How about you decide to run an email service along the lines of
pobox.com. Your users would be entitled to connect via pop3, imap and
maybe smtp. They would not have a home directory, so a .forward file
could not be used.

Probably, you'd not use /etc/aliases either, but it serves to illustrate
my point. Same sort of deal at the school where I work. General staff
access is mail only.

Thanks John.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 07 January 2008, John Summerfield wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>> As I restore things, such as cron jobs, I'll make sure the mailto: is set
>> to me. However, there are some apps that apparently hard code it to send
>> to the user that ran them & the only way around that is to fix su so it
>> doesn't run into selinux pre-login of anybody. I'll check on the next
>> reboot to see if runcon is the answer there, I've made the changes to
>> rc.local to use that function instead of su.
>
>That's not what I had in mind, but it might be an okay interpretation.

Well, there is just me, some dummy users like amanda for the backup proggy,
and root. I made an account for the missus, but she is 'computer illiterate'
in the classic Joe Sixpack mold and has only sat in this chair 2 or 3 times
in 15 years. Humm, no wonder the chair is getting lumpy...

>How about you decide to run an email service along the lines of
>pobox.com. Your users would be entitled to connect via pop3, imap and
>maybe smtp. They would not have a home directory, so a .forward file
>could not be used.
>
>Probably, you'd not use /etc/aliases either, but it serves to illustrate
>my point. Same sort of deal at the school where I work. General staff
>access is mail only.

Like I said, there is just me, and this box is a swiss army knife, it all has
to work. Some isn't, selinux is getting in the way of most of the ogg/theora
related stuffs and while I've done as setroubleshoot says I should do, it is
still failing with the same identical failure messages when I hit this site:

<http://ed-tharp.kicks-ass.org/ridingmower.mpg>

Why it needs all the ogg/theora stuff for what is labeled as an .mpg I have
NDI. And I'm haunting the selinux list for answers.

I did get my audio probs fixed I think, there was still an alsa-pulse package
installed.

Thanks John.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-07-2008, 10:12 PM
John Summerfield

Gene Heskett wrote:

Well, there is just me, some dummy users like amanda for the backup proggy,
and root. I made an account for the missus, but she is 'computer illiterate'
in the classic Joe Sixpack mold and has only sat in this chair 2 or 3 times
in 15 years. Humm, no wonder the chair is getting lumpy...

I bulldozed mine:-)

Lots of people start out like you are doing now, then go on to manage
systems for others. Best to start out right.

If you don't care, there are still others reading, now and from the
archives later.