Old 01-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Bob Hartung

Default HTTP Bad Request 400 - apache on Fedora 8

Hi all,
I get the above error when (all machines on same private network):
I try to access the server from the remote client by ip
address; e.g. http://xxx.xxx.xx.xx.
With an entry into the client host file I can access the server
with http://rwheserv1 without any problem.

On the server, I can http://localhost okay but cannot http://127.0.0.1

I changed httpd.conf to include:
NameServer xxx.xxx.xx.xx
UseCanonicalName On

All firewalls have been turned off.

The result is the same. It is pretty obvious I am missing one point
but darned if I can find the directive that I have failed to set.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Bob

Old 01-06-2008, 11:49 PM
John Summerfield

Bob Hartung wrote:

Hi all,
I get the above error when (all machines on same private network):
I try to access the server from the remote client by ip address;
e.g. http://xxx.xxx.xx.xx.
With an entry into the client host file I can access the server
with http://rwheserv1 without any problem.

On the server, I can http://localhost okay but cannot http://127.0.0.1

I changed httpd.conf to include:
NameServer xxx.xxx.xx.xx
UseCanonicalName On

All firewalls have been turned off.

The result is the same. It is pretty obvious I am missing one point
but darned if I can find the directive that I have failed to set.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Bob

The standard configuration works for me.
links http://127.0.0.1/
sudo service httpd start
links http://127.0.0.1/
links http://localhost/
[summer@potoroo ~]$

the first got connection refused; not surprising as I've not used that
webserver.

The last two links commands both produced the expected page.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 01-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Craig White

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 09:49 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Bob Hartung wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I get the above error when (all machines on same private network):
> > I try to access the server from the remote client by ip address;
> > e.g. http://xxx.xxx.xx.xx.
> > With an entry into the client host file I can access the server
> > with http://rwheserv1 without any problem.
> >
> > On the server, I can http://localhost okay but cannot http://127.0.0.1
> >
> > I changed httpd.conf to include:
> > NameServer xxx.xxx.xx.xx
> > UseCanonicalName On
> >
> > All firewalls have been turned off.
> >
> > The result is the same. It is pretty obvious I am missing one point
> > but darned if I can find the directive that I have failed to set.
> >
> > Any suggestions appreciated.
> >
> > Bob
> >

> The standard configuration works for me.
> links http://127.0.0.1/
> sudo service httpd start
> links http://127.0.0.1/
> links http://localhost/
> [summer@potoroo ~]$
>
> the first got connection refused; not surprising as I've not used that
> webserver.
> The last two links commands both produced the expected page.
----
sure seems as though OP's issue is that the top 3 lines of /etc/hosts
are different from...

$ head -n 3 /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

as if someone edited this information and it's causing a problem

Craig

Old 01-07-2008, 01:32 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 03:25 -0600, Bob Hartung wrote:
> I get the above error when (all machines on same private network):
> I try to access the server from the remote client by ip
> address; e.g. http://xxx.xxx.xx.xx.
> With an entry into the client host file I can access the
> server with http://rwheserv1 without any problem.
>
> On the server, I can http://localhost okay but cannot
> http://127.0.0.1
>
> I changed httpd.conf

Did you change the configuration file to try and fix this problem, or
did the problem occur after you changed it? You might want to post us
the entire configuration file.

> to include:
> NameServer xxx.xxx.xx.xx

To be sure, did you really type in "Nameserver" rather than
"ServerName"? And what was the address after it, "127.0.0.1"?

> UseCanonicalName On

In this case, hostname and IP must resolve against each other, or you'll
get strange problems.

Usually, things will work fine without any ServerName declaration, and
with "UseCanonicalName Off".

> All firewalls have been turned off.
>
> The result is the same. It is pretty obvious I am missing one
> point but darned if I can find the directive that I have failed to
> set.

As someone else said, what's your /etc/hosts file like?

I'm not using FC8, but I'd heard a similar tale about someone using FC7
or FC6 (I can't remember which, now). They had an issue with their
hosts file not being what's considered normal.

It should start like this, without any other host or domain names on
those two lines, and can have *other* addresses, as well, separately.

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

Just don't have conflicting duplicates. i.e. Don't have the same
hostname referring to two different IPs, or vice versa.

Read "man hosts" to understand how the file's used.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.