Old 01-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Mike Chambers

Default X using cpu and slow on F8

Anyone experiencing X using cpu after a period of time, whether apps
were running or the computer had just sat there for a while?

It doesn't matter whether I do a fresh reboot, and use a few apps, or if
it just reboots and sits there, it still bogs down at a certain point.
I can look at top and watch it sit there around 20% without doing
anything, and then see it go up and down from there. While it is doing
that, if I do something like point to gnome-panel and use the menu,
gnome-panel itself uses 50% or more at times. I have watched it and see
nautilus pop on Top and use 50% or more, and that app isn't even
running, as it must be doing something in the background.

Has done this on all of F8 (F7 ran fine), to include all updates. Even
fresh install bout week ago if not sooner + updates. No tainted kernels
or anything added like that, it runs off whatever x told it to use,
which is vesa driver.

PIV 2.8GHZ
1G Ram
X1300 ATI Card