FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-06-2008, 08:40 AM
"Dotan Cohen"
 
Default VNC from Windows machine to Fedora box

My mother uses Windows XP Professional Edition at home. I'd like to
connect to her computer with my Fedora box. Apparently, Windows has
some sort of built-in VNC server, but how can one connect to it from
Linux? This machine is Fedora Core 6, but I can upgrade it to Fedora 8
if need be. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-06-2008, 08:58 AM
roland
 
Default VNC from Windows machine to Fedora box

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 10:40:54 +0100, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>
wrote:



My mother uses Windows XP Professional Edition at home. I'd like to
connect to her computer with my Fedora box. Apparently, Windows has
some sort of built-in VNC server, but how can one connect to it from
Linux? This machine is Fedora Core 6, but I can upgrade it to Fedora 8


As far as I know, go with your XP-box on the site: www.vnc.com en download
vnc for Mswindows.

on your Fedora:
Alt+F2
vncviewer xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa

xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa = ip of your XP-box

Good luck
--
Roland Brouwers
C.A.T. bvba
B-2660 Antwerp

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Ed Greshko
 
Default VNC from Windows machine to Fedora box

Dotan Cohen wrote:

My mother uses Windows XP Professional Edition at home. I'd like to
connect to her computer with my Fedora box. Apparently, Windows has
some sort of built-in VNC server, but how can one connect to it from
Linux? This machine is Fedora Core 6, but I can upgrade it to Fedora 8
if need be. Thanks.


Don't know anything about a built in vncviewer on XP. I just load up
RealVNC (including the server part) on XP and enable the server to start
when the system starts. Granted, my XP is internal to my network so there
is very little security concern.


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-06-2008, 11:33 AM
roland
 
Default VNC from Windows machine to Fedora box

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 11:06:32 +0100, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com>
wrote:



Dotan Cohen wrote:

My mother uses Windows XP Professional Edition at home. I'd like to
connect to her computer with my Fedora box. Apparently, Windows has
some sort of built-in VNC server, but how can one connect to it from
Linux? This machine is Fedora Core 6, but I can upgrade it to Fedora 8
if need be. Thanks.


Don't know anything about a built in vncviewer on XP. I just load up
RealVNC (including the server part) on XP and enable the server to start
when the system starts. Granted, my XP is internal to my network so
there is very little security concern.



When you installed VNC on XP like you did, that's enough.
Just do Alt+F2 on the linux console.
typ vncvieuwer + IP_XPbox to connect to the XPbox



--
Roland Brouwers
C.A.T. bvba

M

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-06-2008, 03:21 PM
"G.Wolfe Woodbury"
 
Default VNC from Windows machine to Fedora box

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> My mother uses Windows XP Professional Edition at home. I'd like to
> connect to her computer with my Fedora box. Apparently, Windows has
> some sort of built-in VNC server, but how can one connect to it from
> Linux? This machine is Fedora Core 6, but I can upgrade it to Fedora 8
> if need be. Thanks.
>
> Dotan Cohen

The "rdestop" package provides access to Windows desktops from Fedora.
I use it quite a bit.

- --
Wolfe
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Fedora - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFHgQAlGAa0f5mx9EQRAslIAKDiNtfrBhHAdZw1u0dwYE C8TPUYfQCeOemc
rAq2V1eY4FPfF2+9PoNom5g=
=eVS/
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-06-2008, 03:23 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"
 
Default VNC from Windows machine to Fedora box

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > My mother uses Windows XP Professional Edition at home. I'd like to
> > connect to her computer with my Fedora box. Apparently, Windows has
> > some sort of built-in VNC server, but how can one connect to it from
> > Linux? This machine is Fedora Core 6, but I can upgrade it to Fedora 8
> > if need be. Thanks.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
>
> The "rdestop" package provides access to Windows desktops from Fedora.

that would be "rdesktop", of course. :-)

rday
--
================================================== ======================
Robert P. J. Day
Linux Consulting, Training and Annoying Kernel Pedantry
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page: http://crashcourse.ca
Fedora Cookbook: http://crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Fedora_Cookbook
================================================== ======================

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-06-2008, 03:32 PM
"Mr.Scrooge"
 
Default VNC from Windows machine to Fedora box

Just install VNC server on the windows box and then vnc on F7/F8(have not used FC6) and away you
go. Assuming of course the firewalls and such are also properly configured. I do it at work all
the time. As for a built in viewer in XP, that I did not know but i doubt anything M$ built in is
compatible out of the box with Linux, then again the world is changing quickly so you never know.
Plus for everything I know there are 10 things I don't. Always consult the documentation! Always
collaborate what you find with some independent source. Let me know about this built in VNC....

-Max
--- Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> My mother uses Windows XP Professional Edition at home. I'd like to
> connect to her computer with my Fedora box. Apparently, Windows has
> some sort of built-in VNC server, but how can one connect to it from
> Linux? This machine is Fedora Core 6, but I can upgrade it to Fedora 8
> if need be. Thanks.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> ?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?- -ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>
> --
> fedora-list mailing list
> fedora-list@redhat.com
> To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
>



__________________________________________________ __________________________________
Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page.
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-06-2008, 03:46 PM
"Dotan Cohen"
 
Default VNC from Windows machine to Fedora box

On 06/01/2008, G.Wolfe Woodbury <ggw@wolves.durham.nc.us> wrote:
> The "rdestop" package provides access to Windows desktops from Fedora.
> I use it quite a bit.
>

Thanks, Wolfe. Will she need to install anything locally on her
Winbox, or does rdestop support the builtin MS desktop sharing
protocol? I'm a bit unable to google at the moment, but as soon as I
get home I'll look deeper into it.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-06-2008, 03:50 PM
"Dotan Cohen"
 
Default VNC from Windows machine to Fedora box

On 06/01/2008, Mr.Scrooge <maximilian_bianco@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just install VNC server on the windows box and then vnc on
> F7/F8(have not used FC6) and away you
> go.

She doesn't want to install anything more on that machine, and I'm in
doubt that she could. It's a mess. It would already be running Fedora
or Ubuntu, but she needs Top Producer, a Windows-only real estate
program.

> Assuming of course the firewalls and such are also properly
> configured. I do it at work all
> the time. As for a built in viewer in XP, that I did not know but i
> doubt anything M$ built in is
> compatible out of the box with Linux, then again the world is
> changing quickly so you never know.

There is a built in _server_ in WinXP Professional, from the little I
understand. I need to connect to that from a Fedora client 5000 KM
away.

> Plus for everything I know there are 10 things I don't.

Assuming binary, 1:2 isn't so bad

> Always
> consult the documentation! Always
> collaborate what you find with some independent source.

That's what I'm doing now!

> Let
> me know about this built in VNC....

I will.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Craig White
 
Default VNC from Windows machine to Fedora box

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 18:46 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 06/01/2008, G.Wolfe Woodbury <ggw@wolves.durham.nc.us> wrote:
> > The "rdestop" package provides access to Windows desktops from Fedora.
> > I use it quite a bit.
> >
>
> Thanks, Wolfe. Will she need to install anything locally on her
> Winbox, or does rdestop support the builtin MS desktop sharing
> protocol? I'm a bit unable to google at the moment, but as soon as I
> get home I'll look deeper into it.
----
WinXP Professional has Remote Desktop service, WinXP Home does not. I
presume a similar arrangement for Vista but haven't seen enough of Vista
to know.

Linux rdesktop is indeed a capable RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) client.

Craig

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:10 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org