Old 01-06-2008, 02:30 AM
"Amadeus W.M."

Default ldap on F8

I want to install ldap on F8 for use with evolution. I did a quick google
search and it led me to the fedora directory project:

http://directory.fedoraproject.org

The FAQ says explains how fedora-ds relates to openldap. However, which
one do I install? Does it matter? Does evolution work with either one?

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2008, 02:37 AM
Craig White

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 03:30 +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> I want to install ldap on F8 for use with evolution. I did a quick google
> search and it led me to the fedora directory project:
>
> http://directory.fedoraproject.org
>
> The FAQ says explains how fedora-ds relates to openldap. However, which
> one do I install? Does it matter? Does evolution work with either one?
----
yes, both follow the standards for LDAP v2 & v3

You may have some challenges installing fedora-ds on Fedora 8...at least
from my monitoring of the fedora directory mail list. OpenLDAP is simply
installed, probably a little better known and in wider use.

That said, fedora-ds does have some GUI utils that just aren't available
for openldap.

Evolution is relatively indifferent to which LDAP server you use
(fedora-ds/openldap/microsoft/SunDS/eDirectory/etc.)

Craig

Old 01-06-2008, 02:47 AM
"Amadeus W.M."

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 20:37:26 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 03:30 +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
>> I want to install ldap on F8 for use with evolution. I did a quick
>> google search and it led me to the fedora directory project:
>>
>> http://directory.fedoraproject.org
>>
>> The FAQ says explains how fedora-ds relates to openldap. However, which
>> one do I install? Does it matter? Does evolution work with either one?
> ----
> yes, both follow the standards for LDAP v2 & v3
>
> You may have some challenges installing fedora-ds on Fedora 8...at least
> from my monitoring of the fedora directory mail list. OpenLDAP is simply
> installed, probably a little better known and in wider use.
>
> That said, fedora-ds does have some GUI utils that just aren't available
> for openldap.
>
> Evolution is relatively indifferent to which LDAP server you use
> (fedora-ds/openldap/microsoft/SunDS/eDirectory/etc.)
>
> Craig

Thank you!

I've installed openldap, and I'm reading the instructions from RH. It
says I have to edit /etc/openldap/slapd.conf:

suffix "dc=your-domain,dc=com"

Now I want this for my lan only. I don't have a fully qualified domain
name. What do I use? Can I use localhost localdomain? I don't suppose I
can use verizon.net, can I?

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2008, 02:48 AM
David Timms

Amadeus W.M. wrote:

I want to install ldap on F8 for use with evolution.
Do you mean you want to store contact information {names, numbers,
email} in a ldap directory ? That would seem to be overkill for a single
user - but something to learn about all the same.
If you mean you want to configure evolution to use an existing LDAP
server, that would be different...

I did a quick google
search and it led me to the fedora directory project:

http://directory.fedoraproject.org

The FAQ says explains how fedora-ds relates to openldap. However, which
one do I install?

They each implement an LDAP server.

> Does it matter?
LDAP servers are traditionally difficult to set up, with the issue that
a ldap server is structured by the administrator to suit their
requirements. There is some common structures or schemas available. I
have done a company wide (100 users) LDAP setup with openldap, and once
I understood a fair bit it ran on first FC3 then FC6 for 4 years. I was
going to convert to fedora-ds, but these plans have been abandoned. It
looked like there was some pre-defined structures available with
fedora-ds that would have made it a little easier.

Does evolution work with either one?
Should do; else evolution might be implementing ldap lookups in a server
specfic way, or expecting only a certain directory stucture.

DaveT.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:54 AM
David Timms

Amadeus W.M. wrote:

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 20:37:26 -0700, Craig White wrote:

I've installed openldap, and I'm reading the instructions from RH. It
says I have to edit /etc/openldap/slapd.conf:

suffix "dc=your-domain,dc=com"

Now I want this for my lan only. I don't have a fully qualified domain
name. What do I use? Can I use localhost localdomain? I don't suppose I
can use verizon.net, can I?

That suffix is always attached to the ldap base from the point of view
of the client - ie the client needs to use the same as that is defined
in the server. It does not have to be public, nor to be available by
internal lookups.

It seems people tend to make up a name like:
dc=my_company,dc=com,dc=country

DaveT.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:59 AM
Craig White

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 03:47 +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 20:37:26 -0700, Craig White wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 03:30 +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> >> I want to install ldap on F8 for use with evolution. I did a quick
> >> google search and it led me to the fedora directory project:
> >>
> >> http://directory.fedoraproject.org
> >>
> >> The FAQ says explains how fedora-ds relates to openldap. However, which
> >> one do I install? Does it matter? Does evolution work with either one?
> > ----
> > yes, both follow the standards for LDAP v2 & v3
> >
> > You may have some challenges installing fedora-ds on Fedora 8...at least
> > from my monitoring of the fedora directory mail list. OpenLDAP is simply
> > installed, probably a little better known and in wider use.
> >
> > That said, fedora-ds does have some GUI utils that just aren't available
> > for openldap.
> >
> > Evolution is relatively indifferent to which LDAP server you use
> > (fedora-ds/openldap/microsoft/SunDS/eDirectory/etc.)
> >
> > Craig
>
> Thank you!
>
> I've installed openldap, and I'm reading the instructions from RH. It
> says I have to edit /etc/openldap/slapd.conf:
>
> suffix "dc=your-domain,dc=com"
>
> Now I want this for my lan only. I don't have a fully qualified domain
> name. What do I use? Can I use localhost localdomain? I don't suppose I
> can use verizon.net, can I?
----
You can use anything you want...it's your DSA localdomain or verizon or
whatever. You don't have to use the dc=your-domain,dc=com type
designations either since LDAP isn't DNS unless you actually use it for
DNS.

I don't know what the RH instructions actually cover but I am certain
that they will be sparse...you should also check out the admin guide at
openldap.org...

http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin23/ (Fedora 8 distributes
openldap-2.3.x I would expect)

I would recommend, in fact heavily recommend a book, old, getting long
in the tooth but definitely the one book that provides the blinding
glimpse of the obvious that no other manual/walk-through/book gave me
about LDAP and that is the book by Gerald Carter called 'LDAP System
Administration' The issue is that LDAP is unlike anything you ever
fooled with before and is very confusing.

Craig

Old 01-06-2008, 03:00 AM
Brian Millett

Amadeus W.M. escribío:

[...]

Or in my case, I've used

suffix "listName=momillett.org"

--
Brian Millett - [ Ivanova, "The Geometry of Shadows"]
"If it gets too bad I'll just gnaw it off at the ankle."

Old 01-06-2008, 03:01 AM
Craig White

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 14:48 +1100, David Timms wrote:
> Amadeus W.M. wrote:

> > Does evolution work with either one?
> Should do; else evolution might be implementing ldap lookups in a server
> specfic way, or expecting only a certain directory stucture.
----
evolution packaging includes a schema specifically for evolution
attributes. All LDAP clients have different notions of which attributes
to use which greatly complicates things.

Craig

Old 01-06-2008, 03:03 AM
Craig White

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 14:54 +1100, David Timms wrote:
> Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> > On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 20:37:26 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > I've installed openldap, and I'm reading the instructions from RH. It
> > says I have to edit /etc/openldap/slapd.conf:
> >
> > suffix "dc=your-domain,dc=com"
> >
> > Now I want this for my lan only. I don't have a fully qualified domain
> > name. What do I use? Can I use localhost localdomain? I don't suppose I
> > can use verizon.net, can I?
>
> That suffix is always attached to the ldap base from the point of view
> of the client - ie the client needs to use the same as that is defined
> in the server. It does not have to be public, nor to be available by
> internal lookups.
> It seems people tend to make up a name like:
> dc=my_company,dc=com,dc=country
----
no...

dc=my_domain,dc=my_tld
or
o=my_company,c=my_country

examples...
dc=azapple,dc=com
o=AzApple,c=US

Craig

Old 01-06-2008, 03:04 AM
"Amadeus W.M."

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 14:48:55 +1100, David Timms wrote:

> Amadeus W.M. wrote:
>> I want to install ldap on F8 for use with evolution.
> Do you mean you want to store contact information {names, numbers,
> email} in a ldap directory ? That would seem to be overkill for a single
> user - but something to learn about all the same. If you mean you want
> to configure evolution to use an existing LDAP server, that would be
> different...

It's more than 1 user - myself and my wife - and we use different
computers and I want ldap because I'm tired of transfering my (our)
contacts to her machine, to keep her updated. I also want to know how
it's done.