Old 01-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Ric Moore

Default OCR ...is anyone having luck with this?

I'm dinking with gocr and kooka. I'm not having much luck or fun with
it. Has anyone been able to successfully do OCR?? If so, with what tools
and settings. I'm receiving a pile of printed documents from our
Non-Profit that need to be made into computer files. I'm sure not
wanting to have to type it all in. Thanks for any and all advice. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 01-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 16:32 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> I'm dinking with gocr and kooka. I'm not having much luck or fun with
> it. Has anyone been able to successfully do OCR?? If so, with what tools
> and settings. I'm receiving a pile of printed documents from our
> Non-Profit that need to be made into computer files. I'm sure not
> wanting to have to type it all in. Thanks for any and all advice. Ric
----
I use tesseract

http://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9676

http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic.php?story=20061210115516438

works really well

Craig

Old 01-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Tom Horsley

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 16:32:43 -0500
Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone been able to successfully do OCR?

The three linux OCR progs I've tried are gocr, ocrad,
and tesseract, but I haven't been impressed much with
any of them. If you really have lots to do, I hate
to suggest it, but Windows and Omnipage are probably
the way to go :-).