Old 01-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Karl Larsen

Default Google Earth

I saw where one had trouble with this application so decided to get
it and run it on my F8. I installed it in my user's space and when I
clicked on the earth on my Desktop the screen will go blank and then
come back up in init 3. I would have re-login. This is not nice.

I reloaded it as root and it does the exact same thing :-)

Guess I better tell Google.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Cameron Simpson

On 05Jan2008 15:10, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
> I saw where one had trouble with this application so decided to get it
> and run it on my F8. I installed it in my user's space and when I clicked
> on the earth on my Desktop the screen will go blank and then come back up
> in init 3. I would have re-login. This is not nice.
>
> I reloaded it as root and it does the exact same thing :-)
>
> Guess I better tell Google.

It may just blow the mind of your machine. It needs a fair bit of memory
and decent 3d support (OpenGL). It sounds like its crashing your X
server, which is arguably a bug in the X server, not google earth.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Usenet is essentially a HUGE group of people passing notes in class. --R. Kadel

Old 01-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Karl Larsen

Cameron Simpson wrote:

I saw where one had trouble with this application so decided to get it
and run it on my F8. I installed it in my user's space and when I clicked
on the earth on my Desktop the screen will go blank and then come back up
in init 3. I would have re-login. This is not nice.

I reloaded it as root and it does the exact same thing :-)

Guess I better tell Google.

It may just blow the mind of your machine. It needs a fair bit of memory
and decent 3d support (OpenGL). It sounds like its crashing your X
server, which is arguably a bug in the X server, not google earth.

It's the only thing that has ever done this. I have 2 gig of RAM and
lots of hard drive space. The X-server is Nvidia and it might not like
what Google is asking for.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 15:54 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Cameron Simpson wrote:
> > On 05Jan2008 15:10, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I saw where one had trouble with this application so decided to get it
> >> and run it on my F8. I installed it in my user's space and when I clicked
> >> on the earth on my Desktop the screen will go blank and then come back up
> >> in init 3. I would have re-login. This is not nice.
> >>
> >> I reloaded it as root and it does the exact same thing :-)
> >>
> >> Guess I better tell Google.
> >>

> > It may just blow the mind of your machine. It needs a fair bit of memory
> > and decent 3d support (OpenGL). It sounds like its crashing your X
> > server, which is arguably a bug in the X server, not google earth.
> >
> It's the only thing that has ever done this. I have 2 gig of RAM and
> lots of hard drive space. The X-server is Nvidia and it might not like
> what Google is asking for.
----
why not ask nVidia for the source code so it can be fixed?

Craig

Old 01-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Duane Clark

Karl Larsen wrote:

Cameron Simpson wrote:

I saw where one had trouble with this application so decided to get it
and run it on my F8. I installed it in my user's space and when I clicked
on the earth on my Desktop the screen will go blank and then come back up
in init 3. I would have re-login. This is not nice.

I reloaded it as root and it does the exact same thing :-)

Guess I better tell Google.

It may just blow the mind of your machine. It needs a fair bit of memory
and decent 3d support (OpenGL). It sounds like its crashing your X
server, which is arguably a bug in the X server, not google earth.

It's the only thing that has ever done this. I have 2 gig of RAM and
lots of hard drive space. The X-server is Nvidia and it might not like
what Google is asking for.

The X-server is Nvidia? Do you mean the video driver you are using is
nvidia (the video driver is not the X server)? I am using the Nvidia
driver supplied by Livna, kmod-nvidia, on an F7 system with a GeForce
7900 GS, and Google earth works quite well.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Duane Clark

Karl Larsen wrote:

Cameron Simpson wrote:

I saw where one had trouble with this application so decided to get it
and run it on my F8. I installed it in my user's space and when I clicked
on the earth on my Desktop the screen will go blank and then come back up
in init 3. I would have re-login. This is not nice.

I reloaded it as root and it does the exact same thing :-)

Guess I better tell Google.

It may just blow the mind of your machine. It needs a fair bit of memory
and decent 3d support (OpenGL). It sounds like its crashing your X
server, which is arguably a bug in the X server, not google earth.

It's the only thing that has ever done this. I have 2 gig of RAM and
lots of hard drive space. The X-server is Nvidia and it might not like
what Google is asking for.

Do you mean the video driver is Nvidia (the video driver is different
from the X server)? I use the livna Nvidia driver, kmod-nvidia, on an F7
system with a GeForce 7900 GS video card, and Google earth works quite well.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Karl Larsen

Duane Clark wrote:

Karl Larsen wrote:

Cameron Simpson wrote:

[...]

To be exactly right the video card is made by Nvidia and will not
work at all well unless I get the Linux driver software which in my case
is in a bash file from the Nvidia web page. Everything else seems to
work fine and I seem to have some 3D effects as expected.

I have a F7 system on this computer and I will try GoogleEarth there.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-05-2008, 11:52 PM
Duane Clark

Karl Larsen wrote:
To be exactly right the video card is made by Nvidia and will not
work at all well unless I get the Linux driver software which in my case
is in a bash file from the Nvidia web page. Everything else seems to
work fine and I seem to have some 3D effects as expected.

I have a F7 system on this computer and I will try GoogleEarth there.

I believe that the driver from the Nvidia page is probably the same one
supplied by Livna. I notice that the Nvidia page says that the Version
is "169.07" and my system reports:

# rpm -qi kmod-nvidia
Name : kmod-nvidia Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version : 169.07 Vendor: rpm.livna.org

Old 01-06-2008, 12:20 AM
Steven Stern

Old 01-06-2008, 12:26 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Steven Stern wrote:
> I don't think it's an NVidia thing. I'm getting very flaky stuff and I
> have an ATI Radeon card (using the default Fedora drivers). GoogleEarth
> starts, but it disappears, or flickers uncontrollably or, as just
> happened, locked the system up requiring a power cycle. It worked well
> on F7, but has not worked well at all on F8.

I have similar problems on my FC6 Radeon Mobility X1600 laptop. Google
earth runs the first time, but not the 2nd without restarting the
X-server. It hangs my X-server hard. I have to network in just to
restart the X-server. If I just kill the GoogleEarth program, the whole
machine locks up soon thereafter. But not if I kill/restart the X
server (fglrx).

On my FC5 desktop with an old GeForce 2 MX400 nVidia card, it was rock
solid, running 1st time, every time. I have not yet tried it since I
updated it from FC5 to F8.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com