Old 01-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Ed Greshko

Default Google Earth

Karl Larsen wrote:

It sounds to me since it does the same thing on F7 and F8 that
there might be a problem with google-earth. It might be that it is
designed to work in the ubuntu operating system.
You need to put :-) at the end of your sentences when you are making a
joke. Otherwise some people may actually take you seriously.

Google Earth is working just fine for me under RHELv4, RHELv5, and F8.

--
A real patriot is the fellow who gets a parking ticket and rejoices that
the system works.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Karl Larsen

Ed Greshko wrote:

Karl Larsen wrote:

It sounds to me since it does the same thing on F7 and F8 that
there might be a problem with google-earth. It might be that it is
designed to work in the ubuntu operating system.
You need to put :-) at the end of your sentences when you are making a
joke. Otherwise some people may actually take you seriously.

Google Earth is working just fine for me under RHELv4, RHELv5, and F8.

No Joke. This software will not run on MY F8. I wonder what you did
to your F8 to make it work?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Paul Lemmons

It sounds to me since it does the same thing on F7 and F8 that
there might be a problem with google-earth. It might be that it is
designed to work in the ubuntu operating system.
You need to put :-) at the end of your sentences when you are making a
joke. Otherwise some people may actually take you seriously.

Google Earth is working just fine for me under RHELv4, RHELv5, and F8.

No Joke. This software will not run on MY F8. I wonder what you did
to your F8 to make it work?

Karl

Does

$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes

Say "Yes" for you?

Old 01-10-2008, 04:26 PM
"Antonio M"

2008/1/10, Paul Lemmons <paul.lemmons@tmcaz.com>:
> [...]

$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting
LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

and it is working with nv driver in FC9 rawhide :-)

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag

Old 01-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Karl Larsen

[...]

This is hard to explain, but in a non-root terminal I put glxinfo |
grep direct and my screen went blank, much like it does with google
earth, and after a few seconds I had to reboot from init level 3!

It appears glxinfo is not working right on my F8.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Paul Lemmons

[...]

It is my understanding that Google Earth wants to use the 3D
acceleration offered by your graphics card. I only say this because it
simply would not work for me until I got that working first. My
experience is that Google Earth is fine, your graphics card is probably
not setup right. This hunch is supported by the fact that glxinfo
produces the same results as Google Earth for you.

What type of graphics card do you have? (/sbin/lspci)

Old 01-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Karl Larsen

It sounds to me since it does the same thing on F7 and F8 that
there might be a problem with google-earth. It might be that it is
designed to work in the ubuntu operating system.

You need to put :-) at the end of your sentences when you are
making a

joke. Otherwise some people may actually take you seriously.

Google Earth is working just fine for me under RHELv4, RHELv5,
and F8.

No Joke. This software will not run on MY F8. I wonder what you
did

to your F8 to make it work?

Karl

Does

$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes

Say "Yes" for you?

$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting
LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

and it is working with nv driver in FC9 rawhide :-)

This is hard to explain, but in a non-root terminal I put glxinfo
| grep direct and my screen went blank, much like it does with google
earth, and after a few seconds I had to reboot from init level 3!

It appears glxinfo is not working right on my F8.

Karl

It is my understanding that Google Earth wants to use the 3D
acceleration offered by your graphics card. I only say this because it
simply would not work for me until I got that working first. My
experience is that Google Earth is fine, your graphics card is
probably not setup right. This hunch is supported by the fact that
glxinfo produces the same results as Google Earth for you.

What type of graphics card do you have? (/sbin/lspci)
I looked and gtk has been removed from my F8 perhaps when removing
pulseaudio. I put yum install gtk* and I am getting 66 rpm packages.
Perhaps then I can try google earth again.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Chris Jones

This is hard to explain, but in a non-root terminal I put glxinfo |
grep direct and my screen went blank, much like it does with google
earth, and after a few seconds I had to reboot from init level 3!

It appears glxinfo is not working right on my F8.

Hate to tell you, but if running glxinfo causes your machine to drop to
init 3 (i.e. X dies) then your system is terminally unwell. This is not
normal.

If I recall correctly you have installed the nvidia driver yourself,
using the nvidia installer ? I would suggest this is screwed up.

Chris

Old 01-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Sjoerd Mullender

On 2008-01-10 22:14, Chris Jones wrote:

This is hard to explain, but in a non-root terminal I put glxinfo |
grep direct and my screen went blank, much like it does with google
earth, and after a few seconds I had to reboot from init level 3!

It appears glxinfo is not working right on my F8.

Hate to tell you, but if running glxinfo causes your machine to drop to
init 3 (i.e. X dies) then your system is terminally unwell. This is not
normal.

If I recall correctly you have installed the nvidia driver yourself,
using the nvidia installer ? I would suggest this is screwed up.

I have seen this happen. The problem was, the nVidia GL library was
overwritten by the system GL library causing a fatal (for X)
incompatibility as soon as GL was touched by the X server (e.g. when
running googleearth of glxinfo). This can happen when the Fedora GL
library is upgraded or reinstalled after the nVidia driver was
installed. This can happen when you use the nVidia installer, but not
when you use a packaged RPM (I recommend freshrpms.net since it does not
need to be updated when there is a kernel update).

--
Sjoerd Mullender

Old 01-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Karl Larsen

Chris Jones wrote:

This is hard to explain, but in a non-root terminal I put glxinfo
| grep direct and my screen went blank, much like it does with google
earth, and after a few seconds I had to reboot from init level 3!

It appears glxinfo is not working right on my F8.

Hate to tell you, but if running glxinfo causes your machine to drop
to init 3 (i.e. X dies) then your system is terminally unwell. This is
not normal.

If I recall correctly you have installed the nvidia driver yourself,
using the nvidia installer ? I would suggest this is screwed up.

Chris

Nope it was loading and un-loading pulseaudio that screwed it up. Those
stupid rpm's sent out by Fedora are MADE with the thing I used. You
can't get it in your heads that Nvidia built the video hardware and they
are good enough to provide a driver for both Windows and Linux. If it
doesn't work on Fedora, it's a Fedora problem!

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User