Old 01-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Peter Boy

Default Migration from RHEL WS 5 to Fedora

Recently we had a thread about experiences with migration from Fedora to
RHEL WS or CentOS / Scientific Linux.

I would like to move the other way. Since an upgrade from RHEL WS 4 to 5
the machines continously freeze two times a day or more, even when idle,
applications are crashing (esp. Evolution). It's no joy. I couldn't find
anything specific which could cause the crashes.

Question: Has someone done it and might share his / her experience?

Peter

Old 01-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 22:45 +0100, Peter Boy wrote:
> Recently we had a thread about experiences with migration from Fedora to
> RHEL WS or CentOS / Scientific Linux.
>
> I would like to move the other way. Since an upgrade from RHEL WS 4 to 5
> the machines continously freeze two times a day or more, even when idle,
> applications are crashing (esp. Evolution). It's no joy. I couldn't find
> anything specific which could cause the crashes.
>
> Question: Has someone done it and might share his / her experience?
----
not responsive to the question but rather thinking about evolution
crashing...there has been issues with Exchange connector. If you are
using IMAP Server or Exchange Server, you might do well to quit
evolution, move the directory (mv ~/.evolution ~/.evolution-bak) and set
it up all over again to see if that solves crashing issues.

Craig

Old 01-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Karl Larsen

Peter Boy wrote:

Recently we had a thread about experiences with migration from Fedora to
RHEL WS or CentOS / Scientific Linux.

I would like to move the other way. Since an upgrade from RHEL WS 4 to 5
the machines continously freeze two times a day or more, even when idle,
applications are crashing (esp. Evolution). It's no joy. I couldn't find
anything specific which could cause the crashes.

Sounds to me like a hardware failure but no guess as to where it is.
I have never had Linux itself freeze.

Question: Has someone done it and might share his / her experience?

Peter

Try going back to version 4. Is it stable?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Gene Heskett

PeterOn Saturday 05 January 2008, Peter Boy wrote:
>Recently we had a thread about experiences with migration from Fedora to
>RHEL WS or CentOS / Scientific Linux.
>
>I would like to move the other way. Since an upgrade from RHEL WS 4 to 5
>the machines continously freeze two times a day or more, even when idle,
>applications are crashing (esp. Evolution). It's no joy. I couldn't find
>anything specific which could cause the crashes.
>
>Question: Has someone done it and might share his / her experience?
>

>Peter

Peter, if you are crashing that often, you have hardware, memory or psu
problems.

Stop the machine and clean it out with an air hose, and if the grease on the
bottom of the cpu cooler is over a year old, clean it off & put a small
amount of artic silver on it to restore good heat conductivity to the heat
sink, and then fire it up on the install cd & run memtest86 for about 24
hours. If the first don't fix it, the 2nd will probably tell you why.

The third item to check is the psu, I've not had great luck with Antec's of
late, one a year for the last 3 years sent me back to the cheap generics over
a year back & that $25 one is still going strong & stable.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Les Mikesell

Peter Boy wrote:

Recently we had a thread about experiences with migration from Fedora to
RHEL WS or CentOS / Scientific Linux.

I would like to move the other way. Since an upgrade from RHEL WS 4 to 5
the machines continously freeze two times a day or more, even when idle,
applications are crashing (esp. Evolution). It's no joy. I couldn't find
anything specific which could cause the crashes.

Question: Has someone done it and might share his / her experience?

Centos 5 has been very stable for me across a variety of machines, but I
always do a clean install and copy back any local data (or mount it back
if it was on different partitions). If you did an upgrade you may have
something left from the old version that shouldn't be there.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-06-2008, 04:37 AM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 22:45 +0100, Peter Boy wrote:
> Recently we had a thread about experiences with migration from Fedora to
> RHEL WS or CentOS / Scientific Linux.
>
> I would like to move the other way. Since an upgrade from RHEL WS 4 to 5
> the machines continously freeze two times a day or more, even when idle,
> applications are crashing (esp. Evolution). It's no joy. I couldn't find
> anything specific which could cause the crashes.
>
> Question: Has someone done it and might share his / her experience?

As a general rule, upgrading provides much fun if you like having things
blow up unexpectedly. Just read all the tales on this list of UpGraDe
MadNesS. Backing up and fresh installs are, to me, much preferable and
far far more predicable. Plus a fresh install may take an hour or so.
Upgrades can take forever at times and then blow up after. Sometimes
not. It's a coin toss. There you have it, I shared! Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar