Old 01-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Gene Heskett

Default user failures

Greetings;

I had my boot drives partition table zeroed out last night by something unk,
and then X froze. Tapping the reset button is SOP here for that, but its
been weeks since X has locked up like that.

On the reboot, no dice. Screens full of 'GRUB'.

Boot f8 dvd in rescue mode, find partition table has been zeroed out on the
boot drive. As in all balls folks.

And no copy of it was available on another media, so, screw it, go ahead and
install F8, using only that drive. That went swimmingly.

I've used both amanda, and early on, dd to recover enough from my amandatapes
to get amanda installed and running again. But in the process of dd'ing
that, the user, me, got overwritten in /home cuz I grabbed the whole /home
tree as saved from the FC6 install.

So, can I, as root, copy that /home/gene tree to /home/gene.old, remove that
user and then adduser again, then copy stuff back a bit more selectively
this time and have it work ok again?

It makes sense anyway.

My initial login to x was as gene, then su - to run such as yum, amrecover
etc. Symptoms ATM for the user gene are that the kmenu looks good, but
clicking on anything in it to run it fails, apparently silently.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Gene Heskett

On Saturday 05 January 2008, Gene Heskett wrote:
>Greetings;
>
>I had my boot drives partition table zeroed out last night by something unk,
>and then X froze. Tapping the reset button is SOP here for that, but its
>been weeks since X has locked up like that.
>
>On the reboot, no dice. Screens full of 'GRUB'.
>
>Boot f8 dvd in rescue mode, find partition table has been zeroed out on the
>boot drive. As in all balls folks.
>
>And no copy of it was available on another media, so, screw it, go ahead and
>install F8, using only that drive. That went swimmingly.
>
>I've used both amanda, and early on, dd to recover enough from my
> amandatapes to get amanda installed and running again. But in the process
> of dd'ing that, the user, me, got overwritten in /home cuz I grabbed the
> whole /home tree as saved from the FC6 install.
>
>So, can I, as root, copy that /home/gene tree to /home/gene.old, remove that
>user and then adduser again, then copy stuff back a bit more selectively
>this time and have it work ok again?
>
>It makes sense anyway.
>
>My initial login to x was as gene, then su - to run such as yum, amrecover
>etc. Symptoms ATM for the user gene are that the kmenu looks good, but
>clicking on anything in it to run it fails, apparently silently.

Ok, I did that, but had to correct the userid and groupid of gene in those two
files, and a boatload of chown -R gene:gene, here and there but I think its
working now.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-06-2008, 12:00 AM
John Summerfield

Gene Heskett wrote:

Greetings;

I had my boot drives partition table zeroed out last night by something unk,
and then X froze.

Coincidentally, I've just had a kubuntu system destroy itself. It was
installed as 7.04, upgraded to 7.10.

Much to my astonishment, the system (cheap ASUS mobo, socket-A CPU, via
chipset, generic) can suspend and hibernate, and power up on keypress.

As best I can figure it, this is the sequence of events.

I powered down, presumably using the new-found hibernate ability.

I booted, chose a XEN-capable kernel. It might have been a 7.04 kernel,
I couldn't see one obviously for 7.10.

I shut down.

I booted, chose the latest (non-XEN) kernel.

It resumed!

I used it for a time.

I shut down.

I rebooted.

Now, we have a complicating factor: I use VGA=791, but with this kernel
framebuffer does not work so I'm booting blind: nothing to see until X
starts.

Anyway, Nothing visible happened for a long time.

I reset, then booted with VGA=6.

System booted for manual fsck.

I thought unkind thoughts about people who write fsck programs whose
reports and messages are entirely incomprehensible to all but the
highest of high priests, and ran

e2fsck -y /dev/hda6

There were lots and lots of messages about blocks being zeroed and/or
freed and e2fsck restarting.

Eventually, it finshed and ^D lead to a reboot.

Later, I ran cfdisk to see what the partition table is, for reasons
nothing to do with the above problems.

cfdisk declined to do anything, but fdisk is happy to have a look.

The partition table includes logs of hooley, with overlapping partitions
and general mess.

"reinstall" comes to mind. Fortunately, hda7 seems okay. I've copied it
to another drive.

I've looked around, everything seems to work, _but_ I don't see how or
why I should trust it.

Fortunately, "reinstall" was close to the top of the agenda for this
box, and the main question was "with what?"

Disk drive checks ok with smartctl and there are no errors logged to
syslog.. Drive had about 345 power-on hours, shouldn't have expired yet.

Choices are SL5, C5 and (possibly) Debian.

Makes me wonder whether there might have been something unusual going on
in your system,

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 01-06-2008, 02:58 AM
Gene Heskett

On Saturday 05 January 2008, John Summerfield wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I had my boot drives partition table zeroed out last night by something
>> unk, and then X froze.
>
>Coincidentally, I've just had a kubuntu system destroy itself. It was
>installed as 7.04, upgraded to 7.10.
>
>Much to my astonishment, the system (cheap ASUS mobo, socket-A CPU, via
>chipset, generic) can suspend and hibernate, and power up on keypress.
>
>As best I can figure it, this is the sequence of events.
>
>I powered down, presumably using the new-found hibernate ability.
>
>I booted, chose a XEN-capable kernel. It might have been a 7.04 kernel,
>I couldn't see one obviously for 7.10.
>
>I shut down.
>
>I booted, chose the latest (non-XEN) kernel.
>
>It resumed!
>
>I used it for a time.
>
>I shut down.
>
>I rebooted.
>
>Now, we have a complicating factor: I use VGA=791, but with this kernel
>framebuffer does not work so I'm booting blind: nothing to see until X
>starts.
>
>Anyway, Nothing visible happened for a long time.
>
>I reset, then booted with VGA=6.
>
>System booted for manual fsck.
>
>I thought unkind thoughts about people who write fsck programs whose
>reports and messages are entirely incomprehensible to all but the
>highest of high priests, and ran
>e2fsck -y /dev/hda6
>
>There were lots and lots of messages about blocks being zeroed and/or
>freed and e2fsck restarting.
>
>Eventually, it finshed and ^D lead to a reboot.
>
>Later, I ran cfdisk to see what the partition table is, for reasons
>nothing to do with the above problems.
>
>cfdisk declined to do anything, but fdisk is happy to have a look.
>
>The partition table includes logs of hooley, with overlapping partitions
>and general mess.
>
>"reinstall" comes to mind. Fortunately, hda7 seems okay. I've copied it
>to another drive.
>
>I've looked around, everything seems to work, _but_ I don't see how or
>why I should trust it.
>
>Fortunately, "reinstall" was close to the top of the agenda for this
>box, and the main question was "with what?"
>
>Disk drive checks ok with smartctl and there are no errors logged to
>syslog.. Drive had about 345 power-on hours, shouldn't have expired yet.
>

>Choices are SL5, C5 and (possibly) Debian.
>
>Makes me wonder whether there might have been something unusual going on
>in your system,

I have f8 (latest i386 respin dvd) installed on it now, and have about got
everything configured, but its been an interesting ride so far.

One instant problem is bothering me, it appears that my kmail filters menu
survived the recovery from an amrecover session, but it is now immutable, so
I can't add some of the new aliases to a filter rule. I can add them to the
filter screen, but when I click the apply button, anything I've added is
reverted to the original.

Now, the weirdsville part is that I can open
the /root/.kde/share/config/kmailrc with less or vim, and the rules I've
added ARE there.

That files perms are:
-rw------- 1 root root 99100 2008-01-05 22:31 /root/.kde/share/config/kmailrc

Can someone else please do an ls -l on their file and show me what it has for
perms on your f8 machine that can successfully edit those filter rules.

I've nuked /root/kmailrc, and then restarted kmail as root, with no visible
effect. The edits are lost the instant I click 'apply'

Am I barking up the wrong tree here or what?

Thanks John and to anybody else that wants to chime in with helpfull info
here, I'm plumb bumfuzzled from lack of sleep (a graveyard session at the
transmitter last night also turned into a nightmare) and this whole damned
zeroed out partition table fiasco.

And as I add stuff back, selinux is being a PITA, so I may yet
touch /.autorelabel and reboot, but there are no messages about that above
file. Nor are there any messages about it in setroubleshoot's display.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-06-2008, 03:10 AM
Craig White

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 22:58 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> [...]
> -rw------- 1 root root 99100 2008-01-05 22:31 /root/.kde/share/config/kmailrc
>
> Can someone else please do an ls -l on their file and show me what it has for
> perms on your f8 machine that can successfully edit those filter rules.
>
> I've nuked /root/kmailrc, and then restarted kmail as root, with no visible
> effect. The edits are lost the instant I click 'apply'
>
> Am I barking up the wrong tree here or what?
>
> Thanks John and to anybody else that wants to chime in with helpfull info
> here, I'm plumb bumfuzzled from lack of sleep (a graveyard session at the
> transmitter last night also turned into a nightmare) and this whole damned
> zeroed out partition table fiasco.
>
> And as I add stuff back, selinux is being a PITA, so I may yet
> touch /.autorelabel and reboot, but there are no messages about that above
> file. Nor are there any messages about it in setroubleshoot's display.
----
we've been down this lane before...you shouldn't use GUI as root

anyway...

$ ls -l ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc
-rw------- 1 craig craig 113235 2007-11-25
10:11 /home/craig/.kde/share/config/kmailrc

yes, I would boot/relabel

Craig

Old 01-06-2008, 05:38 AM
John Summerfield

Gene Heskett wrote:

[...]

[summer@potoroo ~]$ lsattr /home/summer/.kde/share/config/kmailrc;ls
-Zl /home/summer/.kde/share/config/kmailrc

-------------- /home/summer/.kde/share/config/kmailrc
-rw------- 1 system_ubject_r:user_home_t:s0 summer summer 16669 Dec 29
20:15 /home/summer/.kde/share/config/kmailrc

[summer@potoroo ~]$

I've nuked /root/kmailrc, and then restarted kmail as root, with no visible
effect. The edits are lost the instant I click 'apply'

Am I barking up the wrong tree here or what?

Thanks John and to anybody else that wants to chime in with helpfull info
here, I'm plumb bumfuzzled from lack of sleep (a graveyard session at the
transmitter last night also turned into a nightmare) and this whole damned
zeroed out partition table fiasco.

And as I add stuff back, selinux is being a PITA, so I may yet
touch /.autorelabel and reboot, but there are no messages about that above
file. Nor are there any messages about it in setroubleshoot's display.

There is a command you can run.... Take a look at restorecon

Old 01-06-2008, 07:22 AM
Gene Heskett

On Saturday 05 January 2008, Craig White wrote:
> [...]
>> for perms on your f8 machine that can successfully edit those filter
>> rules.
>>
>> I've nuked /root/kmailrc, and then restarted kmail as root, with no
>> visible effect. The edits are lost the instant I click 'apply'
>>
>> Am I barking up the wrong tree here or what?
>>
>> Thanks John and to anybody else that wants to chime in with helpfull info
>> here, I'm plumb bumfuzzled from lack of sleep (a graveyard session at the
>> transmitter last night also turned into a nightmare) and this whole damned
>> zeroed out partition table fiasco.
>>
>> And as I add stuff back, selinux is being a PITA, so I may yet
>> touch /.autorelabel and reboot, but there are no messages about that above
>> file. Nor are there any messages about it in setroubleshoot's display.
>
>----
>we've been down this lane before...you shouldn't use GUI as root

I've just spent 4 hours on the phone with the tv stations IT guy, trying to
make it run for me like it does as root, failed miserably.
>anyway...
>
>$ ls -l ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc
>-rw------- 1 craig craig 113235 2007-11-25
>10:11 /home/craig/.kde/share/config/kmailrc
>
>yes, I would boot/relabel
>
>Craig

As in 'touch /.autorelabel' and reboot again. I've had to fix a lot of
setroubleshooter's output using semanage so the next relabel won't undo the
chcon stuff it also recommends.

One of the bigger headaches is that as a user, I have no sudo rights, and I
have added me by using visudo as root to add me. But that isn't sticking,
same error message the next time.

Plus its denying su for a command line I've been running in my rc.local file
for years, 'su gene -c "fetchmail yadda yadda"' but which once I'm logged in
as root at runlevel 3, works perfectly.

I never had this much trouble with FC6. Right now, I just ran amrecover to
pull the /root/.kde tree back out of the FC6 based archive, which probably
isn't a good deal at all, but at least kmail is working again even if it is
as root.

Trying to add gene as an semanage sysadm also fails, dong it as root with the
gui. If this can't be fixed, then selinux will be disabled once again.

The su for fetchmail has been bz'd.
--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)