Old 01-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Bob Goodwin

Default OT: Apple list?

Can anyone suggest a list of the caliber of this one for the Apple Mac?

Bob Goodwin

Old 01-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Les Mikesell

Bob Goodwin wrote:

Can anyone suggest a list of the caliber of this one for the Apple Mac?

There is a much wider range of technical knowledge among Mac users than
here since you don't need to be an expert to survive. If you want
discussions on open source topics, you might like the fink-users list or
some of the other resources listed here:
http://www.finkproject.org/help/index.php.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Bob Goodwin

Bob Goodwin wrote:

Can anyone suggest a list of the caliber of this one for the Apple Mac?

There is a much wider range of technical knowledge among Mac users than
here since you don't need to be an expert to survive. If you want
discussions on open source topics, you might like the fink-users list or
some of the other resources listed here:
http://www.finkproject.org/help/index.php.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

--

I personally have little to no interest in the Mac but my daughter took a new
job and is doing some basic maintenance of Mac computers and I certainly can't answer

Just wanted a list to refer her to. One can learn a lot just reading messages on a list such
as this one.

Thanks.

Bob Goodwin

Old 01-06-2008, 03:03 PM
Jonathan Horne

On Sunday 06 January 2008 09:57:10 am Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
> > Can anyone suggest a list of the caliber of this one for the Apple Mac?
>
> There is a much wider range of technical knowledge among Mac users than
> here since you don't need to be an expert to survive. If you want
> discussions on open source topics, you might like the fink-users list or
> some of the other resources listed here:
> http://www.finkproject.org/help/index.php.
>
> --
> Les Mikesell
> lesmikesell@gmail.com
>
> --
>

> I personally have little to no interest in the Mac but my daughter took a
> new job and is doing some basic maintenance of Mac computers and I
> certainly can't answer her questions. Apparently there are unsolved
> problems left from the past which she would like to find solutions for.
> She tells me that her campus is the only one using Mac's and the technical
> people are primarily PC types? I suspect that she will eventually find
> some help there but she asked if I would inquire here.
>
> Just wanted a list to refer her to. One can learn a lot just reading
> messages on a list such as this one.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bob Goodwin

not a list, but me personally, i get all my technical OSX problems solved in
the forums "at the source".

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa?categoryID=1

cheers,
--
Jonathan Horne
http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org

Old 01-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Craig White

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 10:57 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone suggest a list of the caliber of this one for the Apple Mac?
> >

> There is a much wider range of technical knowledge among Mac users than
> here since you don't need to be an expert to survive. If you want
> discussions on open source topics, you might like the fink-users list or
> some of the other resources listed here:
> http://www.finkproject.org/help/index.php.

> I personally have little to no interest in the Mac but my daughter took a new
> job and is doing some basic maintenance of Mac computers and I certainly can't answer
> her questions. Apparently there are unsolved problems left from the past which she
> would like to find solutions for. She tells me that her campus is the only one using Mac's
> and the technical people are primarily PC types? I suspect that she will eventually find
> some help there but she asked if I would inquire here.
>
> Just wanted a list to refer her to. One can learn a lot just reading messages on a list such
> as this one.
----
the problem is that Mac's like Windows simply don't have lists like
this. Neither are open source, neither are community based, neither are
really community supported and thus it is a 3rd party opportunity.

Apple, like Microsoft has a support web site and offers direct support
consistent with the fact that they are revenue based and that is the
part of why you use a proprietary OS, for their support.

Craig

Old 01-06-2008, 10:29 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 06/01/2008, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> Apple, like Microsoft has a support web site and offers direct support
> consistent with the fact that they are revenue based and that is the
> part of why you use a proprietary OS, for their support.

Yeah, right. My father uses some version or another of Windows XP. He
had to pay $39 for a full year's support just to email a human that
would help him configure his HP printer. That is on top of the $$$ for
the OS. Windows (I don't know about Mac) comes with installation
support free, and no more. Much like a crack dealer.

I just looked, and it seems that the price has since gone up 50%:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&x=16&y=16&prid=3219&gprid=37013

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 01-06-2008, 10:48 PM
David Boles

Old 01-06-2008, 10:48 PM
"Dave Burns"

On Jan 6, 2008 6:07 AM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 10:57 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> > Bob Goodwin wrote:
> > >
> > > Can anyone suggest a list of the caliber of this one for the Apple Mac?
> the problem is that Mac's like Windows simply don't have lists like
> this.

There used to be a lot of local users groups for mac, and perhaps
there still are. The Honolulu group is still active (HMAUS). They
perhaps spend more time helping little old ladies figure out why their
printers don't work than this group does, but they're still pretty
good. I don't think anyone will care if you're not actually from
Hawaii.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Les Mikesell

Dotan Cohen wrote:

Apple, like Microsoft has a support web site and offers direct support
consistent with the fact that they are revenue based and that is the
part of why you use a proprietary OS, for their support.

Yeah, right. My father uses some version or another of Windows XP. He
had to pay $39 for a full year's support just to email a human that
would help him configure his HP printer. That is on top of the $$$ for
the OS. Windows (I don't know about Mac) comes with installation
support free, and no more. Much like a crack dealer.

I just looked, and it seems that the price has since gone up 50%:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&x=16&y=16&prid=3219&gprid=37013

With apple, you pretty much have to buy applecare to even get anyone to
talk about defective hardware after the ridiculously short 90 day
warranty or to get any support beyond the free web forum.

But, it isn't so much about the cost as whether the machine is working
for you or you are working to make the machine do anything. Macs tend
to "just work".

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Craig White

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 17:58 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > On 06/01/2008, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> >> Apple, like Microsoft has a support web site and offers direct support
> >> consistent with the fact that they are revenue based and that is the
> >> part of why you use a proprietary OS, for their support.
> >
> > Yeah, right. My father uses some version or another of Windows XP. He
> > had to pay $39 for a full year's support just to email a human that
> > would help him configure his HP printer. That is on top of the $$$ for
> > the OS. Windows (I don't know about Mac) comes with installation
> > support free, and no more. Much like a crack dealer.
> >
> > I just looked, and it seems that the price has since gone up 50%:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&x=16&y=16&prid=3219&gprid=37013
>
> With apple, you pretty much have to buy applecare to even get anyone to
> talk about defective hardware after the ridiculously short 90 day
> warranty or to get any support beyond the free web forum.
>
> But, it isn't so much about the cost as whether the machine is working
> for you or you are working to make the machine do anything. Macs tend
> to "just work".
---
heck, in this neck of the woods (and I would guess elsewhere too), you
have to purchase an additional $100 Preferred Care card to get Apple to
look at your computer in less than a week. In some circles, that would
be called extortion. The media congratulates Apple's successful business
plan.

That said, I think that that they are as big if not bigger whores than
Microsoft, but just not as successful at it.

Craig