-   -   some simple questions on VNC (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/29619-some-simple-questions-vnc.html)

"Robert P. J. Day" 01-05-2008 04:27 PM

some simple questions on VNC

nothing serious, just some grotty details to clear up.

1) on the server side, is the equivalence between the listening TCP
port and the display number a 1:1 mapping? that is, does port 5901
always represent display number :1, port 5902 display number :2 and so
on? it certainly *seems* that way, i just want to make sure.

2) apparently, although the man page for "vncviewer" doesn't mention
it, you can view to a given port number rather than a display number.
so either of the following would work equally well:

$ vncviewer 192.168.1.100:5
$ vncviewer 192.168.1.100:5905

although as long as there is that 1:1 mapping, there would seem to be
little point using the port number since the display number would work
just as well and is clearly shorter.

3) on the server side, what is the purpose of the *other* ports
associated with each listening port? that is, after i start vncserver
listening on port, say, 5917, i can see listening ports 5817 and 6017
suddenly active as well. what are they for?

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page: http://crashcourse.ca
Fedora Cookbook: http://crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Fedora_Cookbook

Steven Stern 01-05-2008 04:51 PM

some simple questions on VNC

"Robert P. J. Day" 01-05-2008 05:07 PM

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008, Steven Stern wrote:

> On 01/05/2008 11:27 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> | 3) on the server side, what is the purpose of the *other* ports
> | associated with each listening port? that is, after i start vncserver
> | listening on port, say, 5917, i can see listening ports 5817 and 6017
> | suddenly active as well. what are they for?
> |

> The 58xx ports fire up a java version of the VNC viewer so you can
> use VNC inside a web browser.

um ... so the 58xx ports are listening specifically only for
java-based VNC viewers that are being invoked from within a browser?

what you wrote above is a bit confusing since it sounds like you're
saying that the java VNC viewer is running on the *server* side.

"Robert P. J. Day" 01-05-2008 05:11 PM

yOn Sat, 5 Jan 2008, Steven Stern wrote:

> On 01/05/2008 11:27 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> | 3) on the server side, what is the purpose of the *other* ports
> | associated with each listening port? that is, after i start vncserver
> | listening on port, say, 5917, i can see listening ports 5817 and 6017
> | suddenly active as well. what are they for?
> |

> The 58xx ports fire up a java version of the VNC viewer so you can
> use VNC inside a web browser.

ah, i see what's happening. if i start vncserver with the "-nohttpd"
option (to "prevent web-based VNC clients connecting"), then i don't
get that 58xx listening port. i don't see that that's explicitly
related to java, but i see what the general idea is.

Steven Stern 01-05-2008 05:19 PM

some simple questions on VNC

Les Mikesell 01-05-2008 07:40 PM

Steven Stern wrote:

|> The 58xx ports fire up a java version of the VNC viewer so you can
|> use VNC inside a web browser.
|
| um ... so the 58xx ports are listening specifically only for
| java-based VNC viewers that are being invoked from within a browser?
|
| what you wrote above is a bit confusing since it sounds like you're
| saying that the java VNC viewer is running on the *server* side.

It's been a while since I've had it installed, but IIRC,
http://server:5801 downloads a java app to the client browser that
functions as a vnc viewer.

http://www.rhic.bnl.gov/RCF/UserInfo/Software/VNC/vnc.html#java

The point here is that you can connect from any client that has a web
browser that supports java applets. You don't need to have installed a
vnc client first. You can find similar applets for telnet/ssh
connections but you have to set them up under a web service yourself.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

John Summerfield 01-05-2008 07:57 PM

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

nothing serious, just some grotty details to clear up.

1) on the server side, is the equivalence between the listening TCP
port and the display number a 1:1 mapping? that is, does port 5901
always represent display number :1, port 5902 display number :2 and so
on? it certainly *seems* that way, i just want to make sure.

So the documentation says.

2) apparently, although the man page for "vncviewer" doesn't mention
it, you can view to a given port number rather than a display number.
so either of the following would work equally well:

$ vncviewer 192.168.1.100:5
$ vncviewer 192.168.1.100:5905

although as long as there is that 1:1 mapping, there would seem to be
little point using the port number since the display number would work
just as well and is clearly shorter.

You need to verify this with other VNC implementations (TightVNC is
fairly popular). If yoy are correct, you might also report it as a bug,
either it works incorrectly or it's documented incorrectly.

3) on the server side, what is the purpose of the *other* ports
associated with each listening port? that is, after i start vncserver
listening on port, say, 5917, i can see listening ports 5817 and 6017
suddenly active as well. what are they for?

I've already mentioned 5817; it is documented.

6017 I think is X being X.

Try this:
In your VNC session, open a terminal and run the command
xhost +

and from another host or session
DISPLAY=vnchost:17 xterm
(making the proper substitution for vnchost).

I believe one can use this to get anaconda to display on another system
than the install box by setting DISPLAY in the boot menu.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page: http://crashcourse.ca
Fedora Cookbook: http://crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Fedora_Cookbook

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

John Summerfield 01-05-2008 07:59 PM

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008, Steven Stern wrote:

| 3) on the server side, what is the purpose of the *other* ports
| associated with each listening port? that is, after i start vncserver
| listening on port, say, 5917, i can see listening ports 5817 and 6017
| suddenly active as well. what are they for?

The 58xx ports fire up a java version of the VNC viewer so you can
use VNC inside a web browser.

um ... so the 58xx ports are listening specifically only for
java-based VNC viewers that are being invoked from within a browser?

No, it's a java-implemented http proxy.
It's in the docs.

what you wrote above is a bit confusing since it sounds like you're
saying that the java VNC viewer is running on the *server* side.

It is.

John Summerfield 01-05-2008 08:02 PM

Steven Stern wrote:

| what you wrote above is a bit confusing since it sounds like you're
| saying that the java VNC viewer is running on the *server* side.

It's been a while since I've had it installed, but IIRC,
http://server:5801 downloads a java app to the client browser that
functions as a vnc viewer.

You might be right, and my reply wrong. I found it a great curio when I
found it some years ago, but I've not used it since.

Les Mikesell 01-05-2008 08:30 PM

John Summerfield wrote:

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008, Steven Stern wrote:

| 3) on the server side, what is the purpose of the *other* ports
| associated with each listening port? that is, after i start vncserver
| listening on port, say, 5917, i can see listening ports 5817 and 6017
| suddenly active as well. what are they for?

The 58xx ports fire up a java version of the VNC viewer so you can
use VNC inside a web browser.

um ... so the 58xx ports are listening specifically only for
java-based VNC viewers that are being invoked from within a browser?

No, it's a java-implemented http proxy.
It's in the docs.

I'd call it an http server that offers to download a java applet that
runs on the client - it doesn't need java on the server.

Is there a 'complete' guide to VNC anyhere? Other ways of running it
include the X module that serves connections to the local console screen
and letting xinetd start login sessions/desktops on demand as
implemented in the vncts package. Are there more?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com