-   -   The partition table on device sdb was unreadable (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/29518-partition-table-device-sdb-unreadable.html)

"Dave Cross" 01-05-2008 02:21 PM

The partition table on device sdb was unreadable

I'm trying to do a new F8 installation on a system that is currently
running F7. Th system has two SATA disks. The first (sda) is 160 GB
and contains the boot partition, the swap and an LV which mounts /.
The second disk (sdb) is 320 GB and contains another logical volume
group containing two LVs, one for /home and one for /data.

What I'd like to do is to reinstall onto / but leave all of the data
in /home and /data untouched.

But when the installation routine gets to the section where it starts
to look at the disk partitions, it gives and error saying "The
partition table on device sdb was unreadable". And it then won't let
me set the mount points for the data LVs or mark them not to be
formatted.

That doesn't seem to be a problem for the existing installation. That
can read the partition table without any problems.

Am I trying to do something that you can't do? Is it impossible to
reinstall from scratch but leave an existing LV untouched?

I'm worried about proceeding as I really don't want to lose the data
on this disk. And I don't really have the time (or space) to back it
up.

Any advice?

Cheers,

Dave...

"Dave Cross" 01-06-2008 04:09 PM

On Jan 5, 2008 3:21 PM, Dave Cross <davorg@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to do a new F8 installation on a system that is currently
> running F7. Th system has two SATA disks. The first (sda) is 160 GB
> and contains the boot partition, the swap and an LV which mounts /.
> The second disk (sdb) is 320 GB and contains another logical volume
> group containing two LVs, one for /home and one for /data.
>
> What I'd like to do is to reinstall onto / but leave all of the data
> in /home and /data untouched.
>
> But when the installation routine gets to the section where it starts
> to look at the disk partitions, it gives and error saying "The
> partition table on device sdb was unreadable". And it then won't let
> me set the mount points for the data LVs or mark them not to be
> formatted.
>
> That doesn't seem to be a problem for the existing installation. That
> can read the partition table without any problems.
>
> Am I trying to do something that you can't do? Is it impossible to
> reinstall from scratch but leave an existing LV untouched?
>
> I'm worried about proceeding as I really don't want to lose the data
> on this disk. And I don't really have the time (or space) to back it
> up.

I still don't know why I was getting the error, but some people might
be interested in knowing how it worked out.

As all of the data I wanted to keep was on one disk, I took the
low-tech approach and removed the disk before doing the installation.
I figured that the installation was very unlikely to be able to
reformat a disk that wasn't attached to the system :-)

That, of course, worked fine and I got F8 installed. And when I
replaced the data disk, the new installation found it without any
problems. I just had to create mount points and add a couple of lines
to /etc/fstab to ensure that they get mounted each time the system is
booted.

Cheers,

Dave...