Old 01-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Jeffrey Ross

Default Monitor a filesystem?

is it possible to monitor a file system to see what files have been open
(and closed), and if so, how?

The device in this case would be a USB CD-rom drive and the filesystem
would be the disk in it.

TIA, Jeff

Old 01-04-2008, 11:43 PM
Cameron Simpson

On 04Jan2008 19:26, Jeffrey Ross <jeff@bubble.org> wrote:
> is it possible to monitor a file system to see what files have been open
> (and closed), and if so, how?
> The device in this case would be a USB CD-rom drive and the filesystem
> would be the disk in it.

The inotify system may do the trick for you. See "man 7 inotify" for details.
I expect there must be some handy utilities around that use it.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

"Nervous?"
"Yes"
"First Time?"
"No, I've been nervous lots of times"

Old 01-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Ed Greshko

Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 04Jan2008 19:26, Jeffrey Ross <jeff@bubble.org> wrote:
>> is it possible to monitor a file system to see what files have been open
>> (and closed), and if so, how?
>> The device in this case would be a USB CD-rom drive and the filesystem
>> would be the disk in it.
>
> The inotify system may do the trick for you. See "man 7 inotify" for details.
> I expect there must be some handy utilities around that use it.

Would that really work? I was under the impression that inotify was using
file system attributes and since a CD is read-only the attributes can't be
updated/modified.

Ed

--
I was making donuts and now I'm on a bus!

Old 01-05-2008, 12:52 AM
Jeffrey Ross

Ed Greshko wrote:

Cameron Simpson wrote:

is it possible to monitor a file system to see what files have been open
(and closed), and if so, how?
The device in this case would be a USB CD-rom drive and the filesystem
would be the disk in it.

The inotify system may do the trick for you. See "man 7 inotify" for details.
I expect there must be some handy utilities around that use it.

Would that really work? I was under the impression that inotify was using
file system attributes and since a CD is read-only the attributes can't be
updated/modified.

Ed

knowing that it was only one process (and maybe its children) that would
be accessing the drive I took a different tact, instead I use "strace -f
-o /tmp/outfile -e trace=file <program name>"

that got me the output I was looking for.

Thanks!

Jeff