Old 01-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Dave Stevens

Default yum again

You know when yum works its great but every once in a while it just sets my
teeth on edge by failing for no apparent reason and without any noticeable
diagnostic. This happened recently. I tinkered with the HD and had to cycle
power to do so. F7 came back up saying I have updates available. As usual I
just entered the root password and hit enter. segfault. WTF? try again while
crossing my fingers and wishing. segfault. Anyone else seeing this? two
replies, no, must be you, works for me. grump. Dig into past fedora-list mail
for ideas. What about yum clean all? Looks reasonable, ran it and it returned
pretty quickly with no errors. Ok, will the update work? no. Now it hangs
after downloading the packages and before installing. Reboot. no joy. well
what else is in the archives. what about

[root@localhost ~]# rpm --rebuilddb

seems like a reasonable move but it has been running now for 90 minutes. Is
that reasonable? anyone have ideas? diagnostics? or log files I can check?

Dave

--
There is no single government agency that views sustainability through a broad
lens, taking into account the values of the people affected by government

Mr. Justice David Vickers, BC Supreme Court in Tsilhqot'in Nation v. British
Columbia,2007

Old 01-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Craig White

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 16:23 -0800, Dave Stevens wrote:
> You know when yum works its great but every once in a while it just sets my
> teeth on edge by failing for no apparent reason and without any noticeable
> diagnostic. This happened recently. I tinkered with the HD and had to cycle
> power to do so. F7 came back up saying I have updates available. As usual I
> just entered the root password and hit enter. segfault. WTF? try again while
> crossing my fingers and wishing. segfault. Anyone else seeing this? two
> replies, no, must be you, works for me. grump. Dig into past fedora-list mail
> for ideas. What about yum clean all? Looks reasonable, ran it and it returned
> pretty quickly with no errors. Ok, will the update work? no. Now it hangs
> after downloading the packages and before installing. Reboot. no joy. well
> what else is in the archives. what about
>
> [root@localhost ~]# rpm --rebuilddb
>
> seems like a reasonable move but it has been running now for 90 minutes. Is
> that reasonable? anyone have ideas? diagnostics? or log files I can check?
----
seems 90 minutes to rpm --rebuilddb is longer than it should take. You
could abort. Probably could 'rm /var/lib/rpm/__db*' and then 'rpm
--rebuilddb'

Then you might try 'yum clean all' to get back to square one

Craig

Old 01-05-2008, 03:01 AM
Tim

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 16:23 -0800, Dave Stevens wrote:
> You know when yum works its great but every once in a while it just
> sets my teeth on edge by failing for no apparent reason and without
> any noticeable diagnostic. This happened recently. I tinkered with the
> HD and had to cycle power to do so. F7 came back up saying I have
> updates available. As usual I just entered the root password and hit
> enter. segfault. WTF? try again while crossing my fingers and wishing.
> segfault. Anyone else seeing this? two replies, no, must be you, works
> for me. grump. Dig into past fedora-list mail for ideas.

As a general thing, when faced with a "mine works, while yours doesn't"
situation, I'd be checking hard drives (smart) and memory (memtest86+)
for errors.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Dave Stevens

On Friday 04 January 2008 05:02:57 pm Craig White wrote:

snip

> ----
> seems 90 minutes to rpm --rebuilddb is longer than it should take. You
> could abort. Probably could 'rm /var/lib/rpm/__db*' and then 'rpm
> --rebuilddb'
>
> Then you might try 'yum clean all' to get back to square one
>
> Craig

thanks Craig, that worked. Any idea why this happens?

dave