Old 01-04-2008, 11:12 PM
lanas

Default Route to 169.254.0.0 - needed ?

Hello,

Looking at the routes after an install of Fedora Core 6 isee that
there's a route to 169.254.0.0 that's defined (some info removed from
table):

192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U eth0
169.254.0.0 * 255.255.0.0 U eth0
default myhost.site 0.0.0.0 UG eth0

There's a router/gateway at 192.168.1.1 that is used for the
internet. I don't see the purpose of the 169.254.0.0 route. Anyone
know why it is defined and for what purposes ?

Thanks,

Al

Old 01-04-2008, 11:45 PM
Ed Greshko

lanas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Looking at the routes after an install of Fedora Core 6 isee that
> there's a route to 169.254.0.0 that's defined (some info removed from
> table):
>
> 192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U eth0
> 169.254.0.0 * 255.255.0.0 U eth0
> default myhost.site 0.0.0.0 UG eth0
>
> There's a router/gateway at 192.168.1.1 that is used for the
> internet. I don't see the purpose of the 169.254.0.0 route. Anyone
> know why it is defined and for what purposes ?

Have a read at....

http://www.zeroconf.org/

and then...

http://www.redhat.com/magazine/010aug05/departments/tips_tricks/

for removal hints....

--
You're not an alcoholic unless you go to the meetings.