Old 01-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Tim Alberts

Default dynamic dns dhcp dealing with invalid host names

I'm running dhcpd with dynamic DNS for the network and I regularly get
errors such as:

Jan 4 13:04:14 msi2 named[18496]: zone example.com/IN: IMac321.example.com
/A: bad owner name (check-names)
Jan 4 13:04:14 msi2 dhcpd: Unable to add forward map from IMac 1.example.com
to 192.168.0.185: timed out

The fix is to change the client hostname to remove the space character.
However, clients refuse to follow the naming conventions and keep
putting space characters in the host name.

Can I configure DHCP/DNS to accept this or better yet, refuse to get
them an address if the name is invalid?

Old 01-05-2008, 02:10 AM
Tim

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 13:50 -0800, Tim Alberts wrote:
> Can I configure DHCP/DNS to accept this or better yet, refuse to get
> them an address if the name is invalid?

You might have a look through "man dhcp-eval" and see if you can figure
out a way to check for spaces in DHCP-client-supplied hostnames to alter
if they get assigned an IP.

Alternatively, you can have a pre-set-up list of hostnames and IP
addresses to be assigned to them, and everything else gets shunned. If
you only have a small number of clients to deal with, this may be easier
to implement.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:29 AM
John Summerfield

Tim wrote:

Can I configure DHCP/DNS to accept this or better yet, refuse to get
them an address if the name is invalid?

You might have a look through "man dhcp-eval" and see if you can figure
out a way to check for spaces in DHCP-client-supplied hostnames to alter
if they get assigned an IP.

Alternatively, you can have a pre-set-up list of hostnames and IP
addresses to be assigned to them, and everything else gets shunned. If
you only have a small number of clients to deal with, this may be easier
to implement.

Your own list of names works well, just turn off the feature in dhcpd.conf.

Macs change their names to the corresponding host name (you need to
configure forward and reverse zones). Some Linux systems do some of the
time, some all the time (SUSE I recall). Windows, I don't know, but
probably not, it would interfere with AD.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait