FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Tod
 
Default vgrename using fc6 rescue

I made it to the command prompt and typed in lvm vgscan, no volume
groups are found. fdisk -l sees all my drives/partitions.


What do I need to do to get it to recognize my volume group so I can
rename it?



Thanks.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Tod
 
Default vgrename using fc6 rescue

Tod wrote:
I made it to the command prompt and typed in lvm vgscan, no volume
groups are found. fdisk -l sees all my drives/partitions.


What do I need to do to get it to recognize my volume group so I can
rename it?



Sorry, poorly formed question. Let me try again.

I'm trying to rename my volume group. I have one drive with a non-LVM
boot partition and then the rest of the drive is LVM'ed, I have another
drive on the box - single partition, entirely LVM'ed.


From all indications I should be able to boot up with the fc6 rescue
cd, do a vgrename, change the /etc/fstab and grub.conf to reflect the
new name and life is good.


So I booted up with the rescues cd, did not enable the network, skipped
the search for fedora installations, and ended up with a command prompt.


At this point I should just be able to do a
- lvm vgscan
- lvm vgrename

I can't get past vgscan, it doesn't find any volume groups. If I try
vgrename --test oldname newname it fails because it still can't find any
volume groups.


ls /dev shows nothing volume group related. vgscan --mknodes, and
vgmknodes both do nothing.


This has to be something stupid I'm not doing but I am at a loss. Given
the VolGroup00 naming the fedora applies by default I can't imagine this
hasn't come up a lot yet none of the solutions I have found are
applicable. Can anybody point me in the right direction?



Thanks!

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-06-2008, 02:48 AM
Gilboa Davara
 
Default vgrename using fc6 rescue

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 17:01 -0500, Tod wrote:
> Tod wrote:
> > I made it to the command prompt and typed in lvm vgscan, no volume
> > groups are found. fdisk -l sees all my drives/partitions.
> >
> > What do I need to do to get it to recognize my volume group so I can
> > rename it?
>
>
> Sorry, poorly formed question. Let me try again.
>
> I'm trying to rename my volume group. I have one drive with a non-LVM
> boot partition and then the rest of the drive is LVM'ed, I have another
> drive on the box - single partition, entirely LVM'ed.
>
> From all indications I should be able to boot up with the fc6 rescue
> cd, do a vgrename, change the /etc/fstab and grub.conf to reflect the
> new name and life is good.
>
> So I booted up with the rescues cd, did not enable the network, skipped
> the search for fedora installations, and ended up with a command prompt.
>
> At this point I should just be able to do a
> - lvm vgscan
> - lvm vgrename
>
> I can't get past vgscan, it doesn't find any volume groups. If I try
> vgrename --test oldname newname it fails because it still can't find any
> volume groups.
>
> ls /dev shows nothing volume group related. vgscan --mknodes, and
> vgmknodes both do nothing.
>
> This has to be something stupid I'm not doing but I am at a loss. Given
> the VolGroup00 naming the fedora applies by default I can't imagine this
> hasn't come up a lot yet none of the solutions I have found are
> applicable. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
>
>
> Thanks!
>

4 questions:
A. What's your hardware configuration. (Controller, drives, etc)
B. Stupid question - does F6 even recognize your storage; Can you see
something in the kernel
log? /sys/bus/scsi/devices/? /sys/bus/ide/devices/?
(Don't forget that the rescue CD is based on a far older kernel.)
C. Have you tried F7/8 rescue CDs?
D. What does pvscan return?

- Gilboa

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Tod
 
Default vgrename using fc6 rescue

Gilboa Davara wrote:

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 17:01 -0500, Tod wrote:

Tod wrote:
I made it to the command prompt and typed in lvm vgscan, no volume
groups are found. fdisk -l sees all my drives/partitions.


What do I need to do to get it to recognize my volume group so I can
rename it?


Sorry, poorly formed question. Let me try again.

I'm trying to rename my volume group. I have one drive with a non-LVM
boot partition and then the rest of the drive is LVM'ed, I have another
drive on the box - single partition, entirely LVM'ed.


From all indications I should be able to boot up with the fc6 rescue
cd, do a vgrename, change the /etc/fstab and grub.conf to reflect the
new name and life is good.


So I booted up with the rescues cd, did not enable the network, skipped
the search for fedora installations, and ended up with a command prompt.


At this point I should just be able to do a
- lvm vgscan
- lvm vgrename

I can't get past vgscan, it doesn't find any volume groups. If I try
vgrename --test oldname newname it fails because it still can't find any
volume groups.


ls /dev shows nothing volume group related. vgscan --mknodes, and
vgmknodes both do nothing.


This has to be something stupid I'm not doing but I am at a loss. Given
the VolGroup00 naming the fedora applies by default I can't imagine this
hasn't come up a lot yet none of the solutions I have found are
applicable. Can anybody point me in the right direction?



Thanks!



4 questions:
A. What's your hardware configuration. (Controller, drives, etc)
B. Stupid question - does F6 even recognize your storage; Can you see
something in the kernel
log? /sys/bus/scsi/devices/? /sys/bus/ide/devices/?
(Don't forget that the rescue CD is based on a far older kernel.)
C. Have you tried F7/8 rescue CDs?
D. What does pvscan return?

- Gilboa



A.

uname:

Linux local.localdomain 2.6.22.9-61.fc6 #1 SMP Thu Sep 27 17:45:57 EDT
2007 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux


fdisk:

Disk /dev/hda: 1624 MB, 1624670208 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 197 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
/dev/hda2 14 197 1477980 8e Linux LVM

Disk /dev/hdb: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 77545 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdb1 1 77545 39082648+ 8e Linux LVM

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 15200 122093968+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 15201 30401 122102032+ 83 Linux


hdparm -I:

/dev/hda:

ATA device, with non-removable media
Model Number: WDC AC21600H
Serial Number: WD-WT3360541172
Firmware Revision: 24.09P07
Standards:
Likely used: 2
Configuration:
Logical max current
cylinders 3148 3148
heads 16 16
sectors/track 63 63
--
bytes/track: 57600 bytes/sector: 600
CHS current addressable sectors: 3173184
LBA user addressable sectors: 3173184
device size with M = 1024*1024: 1549 MBytes
device size with M = 1000*1000: 1624 MBytes (1 GB)
Capabilities:
LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
Buffer size: 128.0kB bytes avail on r/w long: 22
Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard
R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16 Current = 16
DMA: mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2
Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
Cycle time: no flow control=160ns IORDY flow control=120ns



/dev/hdb:

ATA device, with non-removable media
powers-up in standby; SET FEATURES subcmd spins-up.
Model Number: IC35L040AVVA07-0
Serial Number: VNC204A2C7278A
Firmware Revision: VA2OA51A
Standards:
Used: ATA/ATAPI-5 T13 1321D revision 1
Supported: 5 4 3 & some of 6
Configuration:
Logical max current
cylinders 16383 16383
heads 16 16
sectors/track 63 63
--
CHS current addressable sectors: 16514064
LBA user addressable sectors: 78165360
device size with M = 1024*1024: 38166 MBytes
device size with M = 1000*1000: 40020 MBytes (40 GB)
Capabilities:
LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
bytes avail on r/w long: 52
Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, no device specific
minimum

R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16 Current = 16
Advanced power management level: unknown setting (0x0000)
Recommended acoustic management value: 128, current value: 128
DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 *udma3 udma4 udma5
Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
Cycle time: no flow control=240ns IORDY flow control=120ns
Commands/features:
Enabled Supported:
* SMART feature set
Security Mode feature set
* Power Management feature set
* Write cache
* Look-ahead
* Host Protected Area feature set
* WRITE_BUFFER command
* READ_BUFFER command
* NOP cmd
Advanced Power Management feature set
Power-Up In Standby feature set
SET_FEATURES required to spinup after power up
Address Offset Reserved Area Boot
SET_MAX security extension
* Automatic Acoustic Management feature set
* Device Configuration Overlay feature set
* Mandatory FLUSH_CACHE
Security:
Master password revision code = 65534
supported
not enabled
not locked
not frozen
not expired: security count
not supported: enhanced erase
24min for SECURITY ERASE UNIT.
HW reset results:
CBLID- above Vih
Device num = 1 determined by the jumper
Checksum: correct


/dev/sda:

ATA device, with non-removable media
Model Number: ST3250823AS
Serial Number: 4ND2JFJR
Firmware Revision: 3.03
Standards:
Supported: 7 6 5 4
Likely used: 7
Configuration:
Logical max current
cylinders 16383 16383
heads 16 16
sectors/track 63 63
--
CHS current addressable sectors: 16514064
LBA user addressable sectors: 268435455
LBA48 user addressable sectors: 488397168
device size with M = 1024*1024: 238475 MBytes
device size with M = 1000*1000: 250059 MBytes (250 GB)
Capabilities:
LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
Queue depth: 32
Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, no device specific
minimum

R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16 Current = 16
Recommended acoustic management value: 128, current value: 0
DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5 udma6
Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
Cycle time: no flow control=240ns IORDY flow control=120ns
Commands/features:
Enabled Supported:
* SMART feature set
Security Mode feature set
* Power Management feature set
* Write cache
* Look-ahead
* Host Protected Area feature set
* WRITE_BUFFER command
* READ_BUFFER command
* DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE
SET_MAX security extension
* 48-bit Address feature set
* Device Configuration Overlay feature set
* Mandatory FLUSH_CACHE
* FLUSH_CACHE_EXT
* SMART error logging
* SMART self-test
* General Purpose Logging feature set
* SATA-I signaling speed (1.5Gb/s)
* Native Command Queueing (NCQ)
* Phy event counters
* Software settings preservation
Security:
Master password revision code = 65534
supported
not enabled
not locked
not frozen
not expired: security count
not supported: enhanced erase
Checksum: correct


B. According to fdisk it sees all of my storage, LVM doesn't seem to
though.


C. I just tried the FC8 rescue CD, it behaves the same. I should have
tried that before posting...


D. pvscan returns the boot drive only and does not place it in any
volume group.


Also, I see after I tried the FC8 rescue CD that all drives are seen by
the kernel as scsi. The output above reflects booting into FC6. My two
IDE drives are older IBM's scavenged from other machines to cobble
together a file server using the SATA drive.


Thanks for all of your help.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:19 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org