Old 01-04-2008, 06:48 PM
"Tom Horsley"

Default more Fedora Cookbook: VNC

From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca>

> yes, yes, it's really basic stuff but ...
>
> http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Configuring_VNC

Speaking of VNC, I noticed a weirdness - after connecting to my
system remotely using a VNC session (not a copy of my main screen,
just a separate VNC server), I now get a stoopid popup about
X11 and Gnome keyboard settings being different when I login
to my main console display. Anyone know what is going on there?

Old 01-04-2008, 11:56 PM
"Jonathan Underwood"

On 04/01/2008, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> yes, yes, it's really basic stuff but ...
>
> http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Configuring_VNC

That's a nice intro. You might also add how to set things up for
encrypted vnc over ssh, which is almost as simple:

http://fedora-tutorials.com/2007/03/14/vnc-seeing-linux-in-linux/

J.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:53 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008, Jonathan Underwood wrote:

> On 04/01/2008, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> > yes, yes, it's really basic stuff but ...
> >
> > http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Configuring_VNC
> >

> That's a nice intro. You might also add how to set things up for
> encrypted vnc over ssh, which is almost as simple:
>
> http://fedora-tutorials.com/2007/03/14/vnc-seeing-linux-in-linux/

i can do that, except that there appears to be an error at that
tutorial you reference. i'm guessing that, where it reads:

$ vncviewer via root@station5 localhost:2

it should actually say:

$ vncviewer -via root@station5 localhost:2

no?

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page: http://crashcourse.ca
Fedora Cookbook: http://crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Fedora_Cookbook

Old 01-05-2008, 11:09 AM
John Summerfield

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

yes, yes, it's really basic stuff but ...

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Configuring_VNC

Here are some things to play with once you have it up.
1.
killall twm
The window decorations vanish
2.
startkde
Play with kde for a while, then logout
3.
gnome-session
play with that for a while, then logout
4.
kwin&
kicker&
5.
killall kwin
twm&

Note that when you don't have an active window manager, focus follows
the mouse cursor.

6.
vncserver -kill :1

On Fedora/RHEL clones I like to configure vnc thus:
[summer@potoroo ~]$ tail /etc/sysconfig/vncservers
# Use "-nohttpd" to prevent web-based VNC clients connecting.

# Use "-localhost" to prevent remote VNC clients connecting except when
# doing so through a secure tunnel. See the "-via" option in the
# `man vncviewer' manual page.

VNCSERVERS="66:root 3:summer"
VNCSERVERARGS[3]="-geometry 1280x1024"
VNCSERVERARGS[66]="-geometry 1280x1024"

[summer@potoroo ~]$

On Debian, I use this approach:
[summer@potoroo ~]$ tail /etc/sysconfig/vncservers
# Use "-nohttpd" to prevent web-based VNC clients connecting.

# Use "-localhost" to prevent remote VNC clients connecting except when
# doing so through a secure tunnel. See the "-via" option in the
# `man vncviewer' manual page.

VNCSERVERS="66:root 3:summer"
VNCSERVERARGS[3]="-geometry 1280x1024"
VNCSERVERARGS[66]="-geometry 1280x1024"

[summer@potoroo ~]$
summer@mail:~$ cat /etc/init.d/vnc
#!/bin/bash
# If no config, do nothing
#set -x
[ -f /etc/vncserver.conf ] || exit 0
function cfg()
{
sed </etc/vncserver.conf
-e 's=#.*$==g'
| grep -v '^$'
}

case "$1" in
start)
cfg | while read user port options
do :
echo Starting session for ${user} on ${port}
eval passwdfile=~${user}/.vnc/passwd
if [ ! -f ${passwdfile} ] ; then
echo Cannot start session for ${user}, no passwd file
continue
fi
P=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
[ "${user}" = "root" ] &&
P=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11

su - ${user} -c "PATH=${P} vncserver ${options} ${port}"
done
;;
stop)
cfg | while read user port options
do :
echo Stopping session for ${user} on ${port}
eval passwdfile=~${user}/.vnc/passwd
if [ ! -f ${passwdfile} ] ; then
echo Cannot stop session for ${user}, no passwd file
continue
fi
su - ${user} -c "vncserver -kill ${port}"
done
;;
restart)
${0} stop
${0} start
;;
*)
echo ${0} '[start|stop]'
;;
esac

summer@mail:~$

which I organise to run in the appropriate runlevel(s).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 01-05-2008, 11:23 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008, John Summerfield wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > yes, yes, it's really basic stuff but ...
> >
> > http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Configuring_VNC
>
> Here are some things to play with once you have it up.
> 1.
> killall twm
> The window decorations vanish
> 2.
> startkde
> Play with kde for a while, then logout
> 3.
> gnome-session
> play with that for a while, then logout
> 4.
> kwin&
> kicker&
> 5.
> killall kwin
> twm&
>
> Note that when you don't have an active window manager, focus follows the
> mouse cursor.
>
> 6.
> vncserver -kill :1

i've actually been playing with most of the above already, but i'm
reluctant to add too much more to the recipe page since i'm trying to
keep that stuff fairly basic -- as in, just enough to get someone
going, at which point they're on their own. at some point, something
stops being a recipe and turns into a tutorial or HOWTO. sometimes,
it's a tough call to know when to stop. :-)

> # Use "-localhost" to prevent remote VNC clients connecting except
> when # doing so through a secure tunnel. See the "-via" option in
> the # `man vncviewer' manual page.

i only recently noticed the "-via" option, but the man page
explanation for that is hideously uninformative in terms of explaining
what my options are for the "gateway" system. assuming i can use the
VNC client system itself as the gateway, if i'm currently connecting
using:

$ vncviewer 192.168.1.100:5901

how precisely would i extend that to add a "-via" option? that
*would* be worth adding to the recipe.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:38 AM
John Summerfield

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

# Use "-localhost" to prevent remote VNC clients connecting except
when # doing so through a secure tunnel. See the "-via" option in
the # `man vncviewer' manual page.

i only recently noticed the "-via" option, but the man page
explanation for that is hideously uninformative in terms of explaining
what my options are for the "gateway" system. assuming i can use the
VNC client system itself as the gateway, if i'm currently connecting
using:

$ vncviewer 192.168.1.100:5901

how precisely would i extend that to add a "-via" option? that
*would* be worth adding to the recipe.

I've notice -via before, and am at least as confused as you are.
However, my LANs are small enough and my VNCs and firewalls tight enough
that i simply don't trouble myself with making it listen to a specific
IP address.

If you do that, then ssh covers you nicely:
ssh -L 5901:127.0.0.1:5901 <more options to taste> work.example.lan
and then vncviewer localhost:1

Then, if the CIA can decrypt my VPN on the fly, they then get to try ssh
as well.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:45 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008, John Summerfield wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>

> > > # Use "-localhost" to prevent remote VNC clients connecting except
> > > when # doing so through a secure tunnel. See the "-via" option in
> > > the # `man vncviewer' manual page.
> >
> > i only recently noticed the "-via" option, but the man page
> > explanation for that is hideously uninformative in terms of explaining
> > what my options are for the "gateway" system. assuming i can use the
> > VNC client system itself as the gateway, if i'm currently connecting
> > using:
> >
> > $ vncviewer 192.168.1.100:5901
> >
> > how precisely would i extend that to add a "-via" option? that
> > *would* be worth adding to the recipe.
>

> I've notice -via before, and am at least as confused as you are.
> However, my LANs are small enough and my VNCs and firewalls tight
> enough that i simply don't trouble myself with making it listen to a
> specific IP address.

oh, wait, it works thusly (at least in my case):

$ vncviewer -via localhost <VNC server IP>:1

which would seem to make sense in the trivial case -- i want the
localhost (VNC client system) to act as the SSH gateway. i'll play
with this some more to see what else needs explaining.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:31 PM
"Jonathan Underwood"

On 05/01/2008, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jan 2008, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
>
> > On 04/01/2008, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> > >
> > > yes, yes, it's really basic stuff but ...
> > >
> > > http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Configuring_VNC
> > >

> > That's a nice intro. You might also add how to set things up for
> > encrypted vnc over ssh, which is almost as simple:
> >
> > http://fedora-tutorials.com/2007/03/14/vnc-seeing-linux-in-linux/
>
> i can do that, except that there appears to be an error at that
> tutorial you reference. i'm guessing that, where it reads:
>
> $ vncviewer via root@station5 localhost:2
>
> it should actually say:
>
> $ vncviewer -via root@station5 localhost:2
>
> no?