Old 01-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Guillaume

Default alternative to `tar`

hi,

actually, I use the tar utility to backup my fedora box to a file...
After a full backup file is reach near 8GB, and when I want to restore
some backuped files, it take veeerrrryyy long time (more than 1h30) to
analyse/index the file and extract the needed folders. Is there a way
to speed up the restore process with any options to tar, or, any other
command utility to use for my backup.

Thanks for your help.

--
Guillaume

Old 01-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Rui Miguel Silva Seabra

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 04:54:03PM +0100, Guillaume wrote:
> actually, I use the tar utility to backup my fedora box to a file...
> After a full backup file is reach near 8GB, and when I want to restore
> some backuped files, it take veeerrrryyy long time (more than 1h30) to
> analyse/index the file and extract the needed folders. Is there a way
> to speed up the restore process with any options to tar, or, any other
> command utility to use for my backup.

It's probably better to use a tool like rsync.

man rsync

Rui

--
P'tang!
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 4th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?

Old 01-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Jorge Fábregas

On Friday 04 January 2008 11:54:03 am Guillaume wrote:
> Is there a way to speed up the restore process with any options to tar, or,
> any other command utility to use for my backup.

I don't think there's any easy solution for this besides creating smaller tar
files. You can try this shell-script which is the one I use to create
individual 8GB tar files (in order to burn them on dual-layer media):

http://www.informatik-vollmer.de/software/split-tar.php

It's called "split-tar". Before using this tool I created a big 80GB tar file
and then I used the split command to split it in 8GB chunks...the problem
with that was that when I needed to restore something from my DVD's I had to
restored all 10 DVD's to a directory and then perform cat xa* > bigFile.tar

Split-tar came to the rescue...as it can create individual tar files with the
approximate size I specify....

Anyway..you didn't specify your backup medium. If it's another drive...why
not just copy the files (without archiving them)? This is what I do (night
backups to my 2nd drive via a shell script). You can use rsync and many other
tools... When I backup to optical media that's then I use tar...(because I
want to preserver ownership/permission bits...).

HTH,
Jorge

Old 01-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Ivan Virgili

Guillaume wrote:

hi,

actually, I use the tar utility to backup my fedora box to a file...
After a full backup file is reach near 8GB, and when I want to restore
some backuped files, it take veeerrrryyy long time (more than 1h30) to
analyse/index the file and extract the needed folders. Is there a way
to speed up the restore process with any options to tar, or, any other
command utility to use for my backup.

Thanks for your help.

These are my two alternatives.. and I use both:

- use tar, but exclude all the directories you do not need.
For ex. if you backup your home folder you can exclude .icons, the cache
folder from your browser, etc.

You will see that the size of the file will go down a lot.

- use rsync and also in this case exclude everything you do not need to
backup.

Ivan

--
Ivan Virgili
GNU/Linux user #292882

Old 01-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Dave Ihnat

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 04:54:03PM +0100, Guillaume wrote:
> actually, I use the tar utility to backup my fedora box to a file...
> Is there a way to speed up the restore process with any options to
> tar, or, any other command utility to use for my backup.

Hmm...dunno if it'll be any faster, but you could try cpio. It's another
old standby, and uses a different directory structure. But it sounds
like you're dealing with a lot of data, so there are still a lot of bytes
to slap around.

Others have mentioned rsync. If you want actual backup, take a look at
Amanda, but be prepared--it's relatively complex.
--
Dave Ihnat
President, DMINET Consulting, Inc.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Les Mikesell

Dave Ihnat wrote:

actually, I use the tar utility to backup my fedora box to a file...
Is there a way to speed up the restore process with any options to
tar, or, any other command utility to use for my backup.

Hmm...dunno if it'll be any faster, but you could try cpio. It's another
old standby, and uses a different directory structure. But it sounds
like you're dealing with a lot of data, so there are still a lot of bytes
to slap around.

Others have mentioned rsync. If you want actual backup, take a look at
Amanda, but be prepared--it's relatively complex.

My favorite is backuppc (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/), which has
several advantages that apply to this scenario. First, even though it
may take some time to set up, it is a 'start and forget' program that
normally needs no attention and will send you an email when things go
wrong. Second, it stores the backups compressed and links duplicate
files (whether from subsequent backups or different targets) to save
additional space. Third, it provides a handy web server for browsing
through the backup history and doing restores with random access, either
back to the source machine or downloaded through the browser interface.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Robin Laing

Guillaume wrote:

hi,

actually, I use the tar utility to backup my fedora box to a file...
After a full backup file is reach near 8GB, and when I want to restore
some backuped files, it take veeerrrryyy long time (more than 1h30) to
analyse/index the file and extract the needed folders. Is there a way
to speed up the restore process with any options to tar, or, any other
command utility to use for my backup.

Thanks for your help.

Our system admin likes backupPC

http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

He uses it at work and home.

--
Robin Laing

Old 01-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Brian Gaynor

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 11:01 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
> Guillaume wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > actually, I use the tar utility to backup my fedora box to a file...
> > After a full backup file is reach near 8GB, and when I want to restore
> > some backuped files, it take veeerrrryyy long time (more than 1h30) to
> > analyse/index the file and extract the needed folders. Is there a way
> > to speed up the restore process with any options to tar, or, any other
> > command utility to use for my backup.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >

> Our system admin likes backupPC
>
> http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/
>
> He uses it at work and home.

And BackupPC is already packaged for Fedora 'yum install BackupPC'.

Brian

Old 01-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Les Mikesell

Brian Gaynor wrote:

actually, I use the tar utility to backup my fedora box to a file...
After a full backup file is reach near 8GB, and when I want to restore
some backuped files, it take veeerrrryyy long time (more than 1h30) to
analyse/index the file and extract the needed folders. Is there a way
to speed up the restore process with any options to tar, or, any other
command utility to use for my backup.

Thanks for your help.

Our system admin likes backupPC

http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

He uses it at work and home.

And BackupPC is already packaged for Fedora 'yum install BackupPC'.

But I'd recommend for any serious use that you set up the archive
storage on its own partition.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com