Old 01-04-2008, 12:15 PM

Default Freeswan (CentOS 4.5)

Has anyone had experience with Freeswan?

We have a situation where say there is a Linux machine in City 1 with IP address 10.0.0.10 (for example)
and a Linux machine in City 2 with an IP address of 10.0.0.20 (for example).* Now these machines are
in different cities, so machine 1 cannot just open a socket on 10.0.0.20 because machine 2 is on a different
network.* Each machine does have a router, say City 1 is 65.15.47.28 (for example).* To get into City 1from
outside the network you go through thr router, use 65.15.47.28 which routes into the LAN.* The same for
City 2.* For a unix process on 10.0.0.10 to send to 10.0.0.20 it would have to send to 65.15.47.28 which would route
it in.* Problem is, its from address would be 10.0.0.10, which the machine at 10.0.0.20 wouldn't know about.
A process on 10.0.0.20 would have to do something similar to respond.

Now these machines have to actually be able to use each others' 10.0.0.X addresses.* I assume this is possible
via a VPN.* They don't have any Cicsco VPNs or anything, and they asked whether it is possible just using
Linux (CentOS) to set up a VPN.* I did a bit of searching and found a couple things.* Freeswan seemed to be
the most promising, though other packages could be just as good.

Is the above scenario possible with Freeswan or can you recommend some other way?

Thanks