Old 01-04-2008, 07:44 AM
lpoulsen

Default Running remote GNOME session

I have a shiny new Fedora 8 system with GNOME.
When I log in locally, everything is nice.

Now I am trying to login from my Windows XP desktop,
where I have PUTTY (ssh) and MicroImages X server
installed.

I can login with ssh, and set the DISPLAY variable.
xclock comes up just fine on my X server. But when
I type "gnome-session" into my ssh-provided
bash session, a red rectangle flashes for an
instant on my X display, then I get this message
on the bash session:

Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'gnome-session' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
(Details: serial 296 error_code 8 request_code 72 minor_code 0)
aborting...
Aborted

Any idea what is wrong and how to fix it?

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=231537&topic_id=49995&forum= 24#forumpost231537
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame lars@beagle-ears.com.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:26 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

lpoulsen wrote:
> I have a shiny new Fedora 8 system with GNOME.
> When I log in locally, everything is nice.
>
> Now I am trying to login from my Windows XP desktop,
> where I have PUTTY (ssh) and MicroImages X server
> installed.
>
> I can login with ssh, and set the DISPLAY variable.
> xclock comes up just fine on my X server. But when
> I type "gnome-session" into my ssh-provided
> bash session, a red rectangle flashes for an
> instant on my X display, then I get this message
> on the bash session:

You should not need to set the DISPLAY variable - just set PUTTY to
do X forwarding, and it will do it for you.

> Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'gnome-session' received an X Window System error.
> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
> (Details: serial 296 error_code 8 request_code 72 minor_code 0)
> (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
> that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
> To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
> option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
> backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
> aborting...
> Aborted
>
> Any idea what is wrong and how to fix it?

Check you X server settings on the Windows box. You are trying to
start a Windows manager, and if X the x server is configured to
provide its own Window manager, or to use the Windows window
manager, you will not be able to do this. (I know, Gnome is more
then a window manager.)

I don't know the settings for the MicroImages X server, but the
correct settings should create a window on your Windows desktop that
your Gnome desktop will appear in.

For what you want to do, you may want to try something like VNC instead.

Mikkel

Old 01-04-2008, 11:37 PM
John Summerfield

lpoulsen wrote:

I have a shiny new Fedora 8 system with GNOME.
When I log in locally, everything is nice.

Now I am trying to login from my Windows XP desktop,
where I have PUTTY (ssh) and MicroImages X server
installed.

I can login with ssh, and set the DISPLAY variable.
xclock comes up just fine on my X server. But when
I type "gnome-session" into my ssh-provided
bash session, a red rectangle flashes for an
instant on my X display, then I get this message
on the bash session:

Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'gnome-session' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
(Details: serial 296 error_code 8 request_code 72 minor_code 0)
aborting...
Aborted

Any idea what is wrong and how to fix it?

1. use vnc.
2. I actually prefer to do it the other way, login to Linux then
rdesktop (tslcient is a wrapper for rdesktop) to the dosbox. I maintain
Windows Server 2003 this way.

--

Cheers
John