Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora User (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/)
-   -   Printer sharing over network (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/28445-printer-sharing-over-network.html)

Mike Chambers 01-04-2008 04:40 AM

Printer sharing over network
 
If you have a printer installed, and set it to "sharing" on it's
properties, is that enough for another computer (windows vista or linux)
to be able to find/recognize it and use it? Or do you have to setup
samba as well?

Hrm, have thought bout a way to use (if there is one) a printer router
type thing to plug it into to (has usb cable) let all computers connect
to it via printer server or something along those lines (already have
linksys wireless router)?

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best lil town on Earth!"

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

"Kevin J. Cummings" 01-04-2008 05:12 AM

Printer sharing over network
 
Mike Chambers wrote:
> If you have a printer installed, and set it to "sharing" on it's
> properties, is that enough for another computer (windows vista or linux)
> to be able to find/recognize it and use it? Or do you have to setup
> samba as well?

Maybe.

When you "share" a printer in CUPS, then other systems can access it.

Share a Linux printer with Windows has other problems.

What I have found is that it you are using a Windows print driver for
the printer under Windows, then you will want to configure a CUPS
version of you printer which has a "raw" print driver. In order for
this to work, you will want to edit the file:

/etc/cups/mime.types

and uncomment the line:

application/octet-stream

In the CUPS administration stuff, you will need to create a new
"printer" which uses the raw print driver, but still access the same
physical printer.

>From the Windows side, you will need to set up a network printer using
the IPP: or HTTP: protocols, something like:

http://linux-machine:631/printers/raw_printer_name

If you do it right, you will be able to print to your Linux printer from
your Windows machine.

Sorry if the details are a bit ambiguous, I set one up about year ago,
then had a CUPS update break it, and I only just recently discovered
that the CUPS update re-wrote my /etc/cups/mimes.types file and
commented out the application/octet-stream line. Fixing that allowed me
to print to it again from my windows systems. Its hard to remember the
exact syntaxes I used in the Windows Add Printer wizard, and looking at
the printers control panel shows me the machine name
(http://linux-machine:631) and the printer name, but not the necessary
glue to use in the wizard for the URL. I was Googling the subject when
I found the answer.

> Hrm, have thought bout a way to use (if there is one) a printer router
> type thing to plug it into to (has usb cable) let all computers connect
> to it via printer server or something along those lines (already have
> linksys wireless router)?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com
cummings@kjchome.homeip.net
cummings@kjc386.framingham.ma.us
Registered Linux User #1232 (http://counter.li.org)

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Mike Chambers 01-04-2008 01:03 PM

Printer sharing over network
 
On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 01:12 -0500, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

> When you "share" a printer in CUPS, then other systems can access it.
>
> Share a Linux printer with Windows has other problems.
>
> What I have found is that it you are using a Windows print driver for
> the printer under Windows, then you will want to configure a CUPS
> version of you printer which has a "raw" print driver. In order for
> this to work, you will want to edit the file:
>
> /etc/cups/mime.types
>
> and uncomment the line:
>
> application/octet-stream

This printer is an HP psc 1310v all-in-one printer via usb cable to my
linux desktop. Plug it in, or as now, turn it on, and it is shown as
installed and works (although, have to reboot sometimes to get the job
to print , don't know why yet but is only way).

And I looked and the file above already has that line uncommented.


> In the CUPS administration stuff, you will need to create a new
> "printer" which uses the raw print driver, but still access the same
> physical printer.

So going off what I wrote above, I still need to create a new printer
with teh raw drivers? Do I remove the one that cups currently has setup
to use the printer and use it along with the newly created one?
>
> >From the Windows side, you will need to set up a network printer using
> the IPP: or HTTP: protocols, something like:
>
> http://linux-machine:631/printers/raw_printer_name
>
> If you do it right, you will be able to print to your Linux printer from
> your Windows machine.

We can take this off list if need be as well, I don't mind. Although
will be later tonight after work before I can do anything, or maybe
tomorrow.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best lil town on Earth!"

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Aaron Konstam 01-04-2008 02:31 PM

Printer sharing over network
 
On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 23:40 -0600, Mike Chambers wrote:
> If you have a printer installed, and set it to "sharing" on it's
> properties, is that enough for another computer (windows vista or linux)
> to be able to find/recognize it and use it? Or do you have to setup
> samba as well?
>
> Hrm, have thought bout a way to use (if there is one) a printer router
> type thing to plug it into to (has usb cable) let all computers connect
> to it via printer server or something along those lines (already have
> linksys wireless router)?
>
If you printer is shared and you have a Linux driver for it then you
share it with cups just like any other printer.

If you get the IIS (Internet Information Services) running ing on your
Windows Machine then the machine will talk ipp protocol and no linux
driver is needed. It will show up as a printer in your cups web
interface.

--
================================================== =====================
"Remember kids, if there's a loaded gun in the room, be sure that you're
the one holding it" -- Captain Combat
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

"Mikkel L. Ellertson" 01-04-2008 02:48 PM

Printer sharing over network
 
Mike Chambers wrote:
> If you have a printer installed, and set it to "sharing" on it's
> properties, is that enough for another computer (windows vista or linux)
> to be able to find/recognize it and use it? Or do you have to setup
> samba as well?
>
With Windows XP, you set up an IPP printer. I would think Vista
would be the same.

> Hrm, have thought bout a way to use (if there is one) a printer router
> type thing to plug it into to (has usb cable) let all computers connect
> to it via printer server or something along those lines (already have
> linksys wireless router)?
>
If the print server supports IPP, it is easy. Chances are that CUPS
will detect it. Using a lpr type print server is slightly harder,
but not much. Windows requires a bit more work. I would expect the
router/print server to support IPP, and possible a couple more
protocols.

Mikkel
--

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for thou art crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

"Mr.Scrooge" 01-04-2008 04:58 PM

Printer sharing over network
 
--- Mike Chambers <mike@miketc.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 01:12 -0500, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>
> > When you "share" a printer in CUPS, then other systems can access it.
> >
> > Share a Linux printer with Windows has other problems.
> >
> > What I have found is that it you are using a Windows print driver for
> > the printer under Windows, then you will want to configure a CUPS
> > version of you printer which has a "raw" print driver. In order for
> > this to work, you will want to edit the file:
> >
> > /etc/cups/mime.types
> >
> > and uncomment the line:
> >
> > application/octet-stream
>
> This printer is an HP psc 1310v all-in-one printer via usb cable to my
> linux desktop. Plug it in, or as now, turn it on, and it is shown as
> installed and works (although, have to reboot sometimes to get the job
> to print , don't know why yet but is only way).
>
> And I looked and the file above already has that line uncommented.
>
>
> > In the CUPS administration stuff, you will need to create a new
> > "printer" which uses the raw print driver, but still access the same
> > physical printer.
>
> So going off what I wrote above, I still need to create a new printer
> with teh raw drivers? Do I remove the one that cups currently has setup
> to use the printer and use it along with the newly created one?
> >
> > >From the Windows side, you will need to set up a network printer using
> > the IPP: or HTTP: protocols, something like:
> >
> > http://linux-machine:631/printers/raw_printer_name
> >
> > If you do it right, you will be able to print to your Linux printer from
> > your Windows machine.
>
> We can take this off list if need be as well, I don't mind. Although
> will be later tonight after work before I can do anything, or maybe
> tomorrow.
>
> --
> Mike Chambers
> Madisonville, KY
>
> "The best lil town on Earth!"
I shared a printer off my linux(OpenSuSE) box to windows but if i remember right I used samba to
set it up. It was pretty straight foward. I haven't gone through the process with Fedora but maybe
it's about time. I will get it set up over the weekend and let you know what results i get. When i
set it up, i had to install the printer in Windows, open ports on the firewall for file and
printer sharing(windows) and of course the ports that samba uses off the Linux box.

-Max


__________________________________________________ __________________________________
Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Aaron Konstam 01-04-2008 08:59 PM

Printer sharing over network
 
On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 09:48 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Mike Chambers wrote:
> > If you have a printer installed, and set it to "sharing" on it's
> > properties, is that enough for another computer (windows vista or linux)
> > to be able to find/recognize it and use it? Or do you have to setup
> > samba as well?
> >
> With Windows XP, you set up an IPP printer. I would think Vista
> would be the same.
>
> > Hrm, have thought bout a way to use (if there is one) a printer router
> > type thing to plug it into to (has usb cable) let all computers connect
> > to it via printer server or something along those lines (already have
> > linksys wireless router)?
> >
> If the print server supports IPP, it is easy. Chances are that CUPS
> will detect it. Using a lpr type print server is slightly harder,
> but not much. Windows requires a bit more work. I would expect the
> router/print server to support IPP, and possible a couple more
> protocols.
>
> Mikkel
As I said any Windows XP machine that runs IIS willk support ipp
protocol.
================================================== =====================
Twenty Percent of Zero is Better than Nothing. -- Walt Kelly
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Gene Heskett 01-04-2008 09:21 PM

Printer sharing over network
 
On Friday 04 January 2008, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 09:48 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Mike Chambers wrote:
>> > If you have a printer installed, and set it to "sharing" on it's
>> > properties, is that enough for another computer (windows vista or linux)
>> > to be able to find/recognize it and use it? Or do you have to setup
>> > samba as well?
>>
>> With Windows XP, you set up an IPP printer. I would think Vista
>> would be the same.
>>
>> > Hrm, have thought bout a way to use (if there is one) a printer router
>> > type thing to plug it into to (has usb cable) let all computers connect
>> > to it via printer server or something along those lines (already have
>> > linksys wireless router)?
>>
>> If the print server supports IPP, it is easy. Chances are that CUPS
>> will detect it. Using a lpr type print server is slightly harder,
>> but not much. Windows requires a bit more work. I would expect the
>> router/print server to support IPP, and possible a couple more
>> protocols.
>>
>> Mikkel
>
>As I said any Windows XP machine that runs IIS willk support ipp
>protocol.

I just ran into another gotcha, while running F8 on my lappy. Fresh install
of x86_64. I wanted to print something and all the menu's looked ok so I hit
the print button. Nada, zip, dead silence. Then I recalled that I had not
added this machine to its /etc/hosts file, so I did. The printer started up
and printed what I wanted within a couple of seconds of saving the hosts file
with the additional host info added to it.

One of those trees you can't see for all the forest in the way. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
*** The previous line contains the naughty word "$&".

if /(ibm|apple|awk)/; # :-)
-- Larry Wall in the perl man page

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

"Kevin J. Cummings" 01-05-2008 12:25 AM

Printer sharing over network
 
Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 01:12 -0500, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>
>> When you "share" a printer in CUPS, then other systems can access it.
>>
>> Share a Linux printer with Windows has other problems.
>>
>> What I have found is that it you are using a Windows print driver for
>> the printer under Windows, then you will want to configure a CUPS
>> version of you printer which has a "raw" print driver. In order for
>> this to work, you will want to edit the file:
>>
>> /etc/cups/mime.types
>>
>> and uncomment the line:
>>
>> application/octet-stream
>
> This printer is an HP psc 1310v all-in-one printer via usb cable to my
> linux desktop. Plug it in, or as now, turn it on, and it is shown as
> installed and works (although, have to reboot sometimes to get the job
> to print , don't know why yet but is only way).
>
> And I looked and the file above already has that line uncommented.

OK, that's a start.

>> In the CUPS administration stuff, you will need to create a new
>> "printer" which uses the raw print driver, but still access the same
>> physical printer.
>
> So going off what I wrote above, I still need to create a new printer
> with teh raw drivers? Do I remove the one that cups currently has setup
> to use the printer and use it along with the newly created one?

Yes, if you use the Windows print drivers on your Windows systems, you
will need to have the second printer defined in CUPS for use from the
Windows computers only. The one you already have uses the CUPS print
driver for your printer and essentially converts the Linux PS output to
something native for your printer. The Windows driver do something
similar and produce output that should be sent RAW to your printer.
Since the Linux CUPS printer has its own wrappers, they don't recognize
the raw output, so you need a second printer deinition for Windows to use.

>> >From the Windows side, you will need to set up a network printer using
>> the IPP: or HTTP: protocols, something like:
>>
>> http://linux-machine:631/printers/raw_printer_name
>>
>> If you do it right, you will be able to print to your Linux printer from
>> your Windows machine.
>
> We can take this off list if need be as well, I don't mind. Although
> will be later tonight after work before I can do anything, or maybe
> tomorrow.

I don't mind keeping it here on list. This information need to be
documented in the email-list archives so it shows up when people search
for it. All the information I found was for non-Fedora systems. And
the information I found for Fedora was scant and assumed you were
already a Linux printing expert, so it left out all of the little details.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com
cummings@kjchome.homeip.net
cummings@kjc386.framingham.ma.us
Registered Linux User #1232 (http://counter.li.org)

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Mike Chambers 01-05-2008 05:10 AM

Printer sharing over network
 
On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 23:41 -0600, Mike Chambers wrote:
> If you have a printer installed, and set it to "sharing" on it's
> properties, is that enough for another computer (windows vista or linux)
> to be able to find/recognize it and use it? Or do you have to setup
> samba as well?
>
> Hrm, have thought bout a way to use (if there is one) a printer router
> type thing to plug it into to (has usb cable) let all computers connect
> to it via printer server or something along those lines (already have
> linksys wireless router)?

Thanks to Kevin Cummings for your help, but I finally was able to get it
all working after stepping away for a bit.

But by doing as you instructed, and adding a generic (key word there
when looking for printer driver), and then raw queue driver, I was
finally able to get the Win Vista laptop to find it and use the printer.
The laptop connected fine and printed a nice test page. Installing HP's
own printer driver on the laptop now and gonna print a regular test page
(txt file or something) just to make sure.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best lil town on Earth!"

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:41 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.