Old 01-04-2008, 03:31 AM
"Amadeus W.M."

Default Roadnav required library missing from x86_64 F8

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 22:39:35 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Specifically:
> libexpat.so.0()(64bit)
>
> Or at least this is what the attempted install of
> roadnav-0.19-1.f7.x86_64.rpm claims. There is no x86_64 download yet
> for F8 on the roadnav site. Message left for the author, but it looks
> like he's gone on to other things according to his site.
>
> I did a file against the libexpat.so.1.5.2 that was installed and linked
> to libexpat.so.1, (this was a clean the disk install folks) and it
> claims to be a 32 bit file. WTH?
>
> Am I going to have to blow this install away and put the i386 back in to
> get a library compatible with a 32 bit version of roadnav?
>
> Or is it possible that the libexpat src rpm might build on x86_64? I've
> not had that great a luck doing those operations over the years, its
> almost easier for me to package things with checkinstall.
>
> Thanks for any help on this.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> "We shall reach greater and greater platitudes of achievement." --
> Richard J. Daley

Don't bother with 32 bit, I have roadnav on 32 bit and it crashes. It
starts, displays stuff, but as soon as I open map->address and it
crashes. I'm running the latest roadnav-0.19. But then mplayer also
crashes after 20-30 minutes of play, which is also a first. It may be
something with my video hardware or my video drivers, you may have more
luck though. With roadmap I suspect it's roadmap though.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:05 AM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 03 January 2008, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
>On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 22:39:35 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Specifically:
>> libexpat.so.0()(64bit)
>>
>> Or at least this is what the attempted install of
>> roadnav-0.19-1.f7.x86_64.rpm claims. There is no x86_64 download yet
>> for F8 on the roadnav site. Message left for the author, but it looks
>> like he's gone on to other things according to his site.
>>
>> I did a file against the libexpat.so.1.5.2 that was installed and linked
>> to libexpat.so.1, (this was a clean the disk install folks) and it
>> claims to be a 32 bit file. WTH?
>>
>> Am I going to have to blow this install away and put the i386 back in to
>> get a library compatible with a 32 bit version of roadnav?
>>
>> Or is it possible that the libexpat src rpm might build on x86_64? I've
>> not had that great a luck doing those operations over the years, its
>> almost easier for me to package things with checkinstall.
>>
>> Thanks for any help on this.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Gene
>> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>> soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
>> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>> "We shall reach greater and greater platitudes of achievement." --
>> Richard J. Daley
>
>Don't bother with 32 bit, I have roadnav on 32 bit and it crashes. It
>starts, displays stuff, but as soon as I open map->address and it
>crashes. I'm running the latest roadnav-0.19. But then mplayer also
>crashes after 20-30 minutes of play, which is also a first. It may be
>something with my video hardware or my video drivers, you may have more
>luck though. With roadmap I suspect it's roadmap though.

.19 ran fairly well, only 3 crashes in about 3000 miles recently. Most of
that was while it was trying to deal with my Garmin 12's noisy data as its
batteries were bleeding their last.

I did get it (libroadnav) built and installed from the src, apparently the
only way, and then the .20 alpha rpm for x86_64 way down the page installed
and ran ok AFAICT. And its obviously quicker than the 32 bit version ran 45
days ago. Those tigerline maps are of only tolerable accuracy, my street is
off by a good 300 feet.

One of the error messages when trying to build the library comes from
the .configure step, and names a missing wxWindows collection so it bails
out. This is an erroneous error message it turns out, the missing stuffs is
actually the whole family of wxGTK, which when I installed them on a hunch,
fixed it right up.

So that is running, now its synce that is being a problem child, one of its
comm daemons, vdccm, is packaged with the wrong perms and cannot be started
either by a user or by root. I've posted re that, around 27 hours ago, but
the posting has been ignored as of yet. I may repost that one in another
day.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)