Old 01-04-2008, 02:26 AM
Lamar Owen

Default Adobe Reader AdobeReader_enu-7.0.9-1 Problem in Fedora 8

On Thursday 03 January 2008, Leslie Satenstein wrote:
> Adobe appears to quit, but a process is left in memory, to churn away. It
> is quiet for a while, then begins to consume considerable CPU cycles, and
> then returns to quiet.

> Can someone collaborate my findings?

I can corroborate, with f8 on i386, no compiz. There have a been a few times,
particularly where I had seven or eight Acroreader plugins going in Firefox,
where exiting with the Firefox red X in the tab would hang other tabs'
acroread, and drive CPU way up.

While I don't remember this happening a month or so ago (seems related to a
recent update, maybe), but it could have been happening unaware to me.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer

Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 PM
"Christopher A. Williams"

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 22:26 -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Thursday 03 January 2008, Leslie Satenstein wrote:
> > Adobe appears to quit, but a process is left in memory, to churn away. It
> > is quiet for a while, then begins to consume considerable CPU cycles, and
> > then returns to quiet.
>
> > Can someone collaborate my findings?
>
> I can corroborate, with f8 on i386, no compiz. There have a been a few times,
> particularly where I had seven or eight Acroreader plugins going in Firefox,
> where exiting with the Firefox red X in the tab would hang other tabs'
> acroread, and drive CPU way up.
>
> While I don't remember this happening a month or so ago (seems related to a
> recent update, maybe), but it could have been happening unaware to me.

I'm running F8 on 2 separate systems - a desktop and a laptop. The
desktop uses the 32-bit version and the laptop has the 64-bit version.
Outside of hardware differences forcing this, both systems are otherwise
set up pretty much the same.

On both systems, I am noticing general "pokiness", if not outright
slowness, when manipulating files and folders. It's worse when Desktop
Effects is turned on. Several apps seem to be affected, including Adobe
Reader, Document Viewer (evince), and VMware Workstation 6.0.2. It's at
its worst when any of these applications are actively running -
especially VMware Workstation.

I tend to agree this is not a problem with Adobe Reader per se, and I
also (with prompted memory), recall that this was not the case as
recently as 2 or 3 weeks ago. I would also suspect an update to X,
Compiz, or Nautilus along the way is the more likely culprit, but I
couldn't say that with absolute certainty.

It definitely should be looked into. I'm happy to bugzilla, but I'm not
sure what I should file this one under since I don't really know where
to start looking for the problem. Ideas?

Cheers,

Chris

Old 01-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Vikram Goyal

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 06:53:16PM -0800, Leslie Satenstein wrote:
> I have the subject software installed (64bit Fedora), What I noticed, with compiz active (and not tested without it active), is that ADOBE reader works fine until one does a quit.
>
> Adobe appears to quit, but a process is left in memory, to churn away. It is quiet for a while, then begins to consume considerable CPU cycles, and then returns to quiet.
>
> If a second file is loaded in the Reader, it works fine, and may even quit normally after the second file (only one file at a time).
>
> If one has a file already loaded, and we read another pdf file (2 in memory) Adobe exhibits the same problem upon quiting.
>
> A kill frees up about 10% cpu, as reported by top.
>
> My system Intel 930 (dual core) , 3 gigs memory, and Fedora 8, 64bit.
>
> Can someone collaborate my findings?
>

> Leslie

I also came across this problem and removed nspluginwrapper.

HTH
--
vikram...
--