-   -   snmpwalk? (related to hplip) (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/28362-snmpwalk-related-hplip.html)

Lamar Owen 01-04-2008 01:36 AM

snmpwalk? (related to hplip)

On Thursday 03 January 2008, Neal Becker wrote:
> /usr/share/doc/hplip-2.7.7/troubleshooting/network.html says to test using
> snmpwalk. I can't find this on F8.

yum install net-snmp-utils

should do grab it for you.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer

Neal Becker 01-04-2008 01:38 AM

snmpwalk? (related to hplip)

Ed Greshko wrote:

> Neal Becker wrote:
>> /usr/share/doc/hplip-2.7.7/troubleshooting/network.html says to test
>> using
>> snmpwalk. I can't find this on F8.
>>
>> yum provides snmpwalk
>> No Matches found
>>
>> Any hints? Or, better still, any hint why hplip doesn't find my ethernet
>> printer? (Yes, the printer works fine, and I can print to it).
>>

> It should be in "net-snmp".
>
> Ed

It isn't in net-snmp-5.4.1-5.fc8.x86_64

Ed Greshko 01-04-2008 02:24 AM

snmpwalk? (related to hplip)

Neal Becker wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> Neal Becker wrote:
>>> /usr/share/doc/hplip-2.7.7/troubleshooting/network.html says to test
>>> using
>>> snmpwalk. I can't find this on F8.
>>>
>>> yum provides snmpwalk
>>> No Matches found
>>>
>>> Any hints? Or, better still, any hint why hplip doesn't find my ethernet
>>> printer? (Yes, the printer works fine, and I can print to it).
>>>
>> It should be in "net-snmp".
>>
>> Ed
>>
> It isn't in net-snmp-5.4.1-5.fc8.x86_64

That's because my copy/paste was truncated. :-( Lamar got it right,
net-snmp-utils. Must have coffee.... Sorry...

Lamar Owen 01-04-2008 02:39 AM

snmpwalk? (related to hplip)

On Thursday 03 January 2008, Ed Greshko wrote:
> That's because my copy/paste was truncated. :-( Lamar got it right,
> net-snmp-utils. Must have coffee.... Sorry...

Coffee? At 10PM?

Oh, you're in Taipei! UTC+0800... that explains it.

Yeah, I got to play around with snmpwalk while troubleshooting why OpenNMS
wasn't picking up the interfaces on a Cisco Catalys 5500 here. Turned out it
was a timeout issue; the Cat5500 simply sent more data (all 13 slots are
filled, so there's lots of interfaces!) than OpenNMS could handle in the time
allotted; so I set up the timeout, and the discovery finished properly,
giving me the interfaces. OpenNMS is a real jewel! The current unstable
release (1.3.9) is available in a yum repository. While it does need a Sun
Java on CentOS 5 (I haven't tried on a F8 install, simply because I don't run
Fedora servers), it works marvelously. Once you get the repos set up
properly, yum install opennms pulls in everything you need, and you run a
script, and there you are!

Lamar Owen 01-04-2008 02:48 AM

snmpwalk? (related to hplip)

On Thursday 03 January 2008, Lamar Owen wrote:
> Once you get
> the repos set up properly, yum install opennms pulls in everything you
> need, and you run a script, and there you are!

Do note, however, that there is no Fedora 8 repo set up yet at OpenNMS.

Les Mikesell 01-04-2008 04:20 AM

snmpwalk? (related to hplip)

Lamar Owen wrote:

the repos set up properly, yum install opennms pulls in everything you
need, and you run a script, and there you are!

Do note, however, that there is no Fedora 8 repo set up yet at OpenNMS.

I think your mailer lost track of subject/thread here.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com