Old 01-04-2008, 01:26 AM
"Mr.Scrooge"

Default MP3 Players

I don't know why i didn't start here to begin with! Anyway I am looking for an MP3 Player that
just works with Fedora 8. Any recommendations besides the older IPODS?The newer IPODS are a pain
in the ass, this I know by experience, besides which i object to apple on principle! They do not
make an ITunes for Linux?Why? Anyhow i would appreciate any suggestions, even if all you can say
is ipod but i think i will just do without rather than give my money to Apple!Thanks!!

Happy Hacking,

Max

Old 01-04-2008, 02:47 AM
Todd Zullinger

Mr.Scrooge wrote:
> I don't know why i didn't start here to begin with! Anyway I am
> looking for an MP3 Player that just works with Fedora 8. Any
> recommendations besides the older IPODS?The newer IPODS are a pain
> in the ass, this I know by experience

FWIW, new ipods should be supported and just work if you install the
libgpod updates in updates-testing. After a few more days, those will
be pushed to the stable updates for F7 and F8. If you have a newer
ipod, give a try with:

yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update libgpod

>, besides which i object to apple on principle! They do not
> make an ITunes for Linux? Why?

If you object to Apple on principle, why would you care if they made
an iTunes for Linux? I'm much happier using gtkpod (or amarok or
rhythmbox, or some home brewed python scripts using python-gpod) than
I ever would be using iTunes.

> Anyhow i would appreciate any suggestions, even if all you can say
> is ipod but i think i will just do without rather than give my money
> to Apple!Thanks!!

Many folks like the products from Creative and the Sandisk Sansa
players. I do happen to be happy with my ipod, which is never touched
by iTunes (unless I'm testing something for compatibility with
libgpod).

Old 01-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Gérard Milmeister

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 18:26 -0800, Mr.Scrooge wrote:
> I don't know why i didn't start here to begin with! Anyway I am
> looking for an MP3 Player that
> just works with Fedora 8.
Cowon, iRiver are known for they sound quality (most of them also
support ogg). Anything that supports USB mass storage is fine. This also
includes the new Sony A81x series, of which I have read good reviews.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Ian Malone

Gérard Milmeister wrote:

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 18:26 -0800, Mr.Scrooge wrote:

I don't know why i didn't start here to begin with! Anyway I am
looking for an MP3 Player that
just works with Fedora 8.

Cowon, iRiver are known for they sound quality (most of them also
support ogg). Anything that supports USB mass storage is fine. This also
includes the new Sony A81x series, of which I have read good reviews.

I don't know about iRiver, but newer Cowon/iAudio players can
also do their firmware updates from Linux.

--
imalone

Old 01-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Chris G

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 10:47:31PM -0500, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Mr.Scrooge wrote:
> > I don't know why i didn't start here to begin with! Anyway I am
> > looking for an MP3 Player that just works with Fedora 8. Any
> > recommendations besides the older IPODS?The newer IPODS are a pain
> > in the ass, this I know by experience
>
> FWIW, new ipods should be supported and just work if you install the
> libgpod updates in updates-testing. After a few more days, those will
> be pushed to the stable updates for F7 and F8. If you have a newer
> ipod, give a try with:
>
> yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update libgpod
>
> >, besides which i object to apple on principle! They do not
> > make an ITunes for Linux? Why?
>
> If you object to Apple on principle, why would you care if they made
> an iTunes for Linux? I'm much happier using gtkpod (or amarok or
> rhythmbox, or some home brewed python scripts using python-gpod) than
> I ever would be using iTunes.
>
> > Anyhow i would appreciate any suggestions, even if all you can say
> > is ipod but i think i will just do without rather than give my money
> > to Apple!Thanks!!
>
> Many folks like the products from Creative and the Sandisk Sansa
> players. I do happen to be happy with my ipod, which is never touched
> by iTunes (unless I'm testing something for compatibility with
> libgpod).

I have just got a new Creative Zen 4Gb working with Fedora 7, it
needed the latest Gnomad2 and libsmtp from updates-testing as noted
above though.

--
Chris Green

Old 01-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Ivan Virgili

Mr.Scrooge wrote:

I don't know why i didn't start here to begin with! Anyway I am looking for an MP3 Player that
just works with Fedora 8. Any recommendations besides the older IPODS?The newer IPODS are a pain
in the ass, this I know by experience, besides which i object to apple on principle! They do not
make an ITunes for Linux?Why? Anyhow i would appreciate any suggestions, even if all you can say
is ipod but i think i will just do without rather than give my money to Apple!Thanks!!

Happy Hacking,

Max

I am using an iPod 2GB 5th Generation on Fedora 8, using gtkpod.
I have not had any problems at all and I have never connected it to any
other machine then my Linux one. Who needs iTunes !!??

Ivan

--
Ivan Virgili
GNU/Linux user #292882

Old 01-04-2008, 12:41 PM
wwp

Hello Mr.Scrooge,

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 18:26:15 -0800 (PST) "Mr.Scrooge" <maximilian_bianco@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't know why i didn't start here to begin with! Anyway I am looking for an MP3 Player that
> just works with Fedora 8. Any recommendations besides the older IPODS?The newer IPODS are a pain
> in the ass, this I know by experience, besides which i object to apple on principle! They do not
> make an ITunes for Linux?Why? Anyhow i would appreciate any suggestions, even if all you can say
> is ipod but i think i will just do without rather than give my money to Apple!Thanks!!
>
> Happy Hacking,

Sansa Clip 2GB works well.

wwp

Old 01-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Phil Meyer

Mr.Scrooge wrote:

I don't know why i didn't start here to begin with! Anyway I am looking for an MP3 Player that
just works with Fedora 8. Any recommendations besides the older IPODS?The newer IPODS are a pain
in the ass, this I know by experience, besides which i object to apple on principle! They do not
make an ITunes for Linux?Why? Anyhow i would appreciate any suggestions, even if all you can say
is ipod but i think i will just do without rather than give my money to Apple!Thanks!!

Gadget freak here, so ...

For all in one folks, the Treo Centro is awesome, and 6GB cards are
$70.00 or less.

(6GB micro SD)

For UNIX/Linux System Admins, the Nokia N810 is great. Get your glasses
updated first!

(6GB micro with a mini SD adapter)

The N800 can be tricked out with 16GB, but the N810 maxes at 10GB right
now.
The GPS and slide out keyboard are the difference in cost, and the N810
uses mini SD instead of regular SD like the N800.

Now there is an MP3 player that is also: web tablet, book reader, XTerm
with ssh, etc etc etc

Good luck!

Old 01-04-2008, 04:02 PM
"Mr.Scrooge"

Cool. thanks for the info. I have heard many conflicting reports and different things about
different models from the same company. Most companies will say they do not support linux but that
doesn't tell if it will work well or not.

-Max

Old 01-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Jose Celestino

Words by Mr.Scrooge [Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 09:02:28AM -0800]:
> Cool. thanks for the info. I have heard many conflicting reports and different things about
> different models from the same company. Most companies will say they do not support linux but that
> doesn't tell if it will work well or not.

Yes, I have a river hp-140, bought from ebay a while ago and it just
rocks. The 4 year battery still last a hell lot of hours and with rockbox
using rsync to synchronize my ~/mp3 is priceless.

--
Jose Celestino