Old 01-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Jan Brosius

Default close to a wireless connection newbie

Hello,

I think that I am close to a wireless connection with my laptop.
Here is the information.
I work with networkmanager
With System>Administration>Network I have created besides the device
eth0 two other devices for connection to the internet:

1. Device ppp0 of type xDSL : my wired connection to the internet
wherein I have been able to give my password and my username

2. Device wlan of type wireless (mode managed, ssid : auto).
With networkmanager I can connect this device to a wireless network
named WIFI_A6. Everything is detected : DNS etc.
However I need to give to device wlan my username and password (my
internet connection is adsl PPPoE).

Is there any way to give username and password to device wlan,

Thanks for any help
Jan Brosius

Old 01-04-2008, 01:17 AM
"David G. Mackay"

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 22:55 +0100, Jan Brosius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think that I am close to a wireless connection with my laptop.
> Here is the information.
> I work with networkmanager
> With System>Administration>Network I have created besides the device
> eth0 two other devices for connection to the internet:
>
> 1. Device ppp0 of type xDSL : my wired connection to the internet
> wherein I have been able to give my password and my username
>
> 2. Device wlan of type wireless (mode managed, ssid : auto).
> With networkmanager I can connect this device to a wireless network
> named WIFI_A6. Everything is detected : DNS etc.
> However I need to give to device wlan my username and password (my
> internet connection is adsl PPPoE).
>
> Is there any way to give username and password to device wlan,

No, but you shouldn't need to do that. Are you connecting to a wireless
router which is connected to the dsl line? If so, you generally enter
the username and password information into the router. Most of the dsl
modems and/or routers have an http interface that you can use to
configure them. If you give us a router type, we might be able to help
more.

Dave

Old 01-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Jan Brosius

David G. Mackay wrote:

Is there any way to give username and password to device wlan,

No, but you shouldn't need to do that. Are you connecting to a wireless
router which is connected to the dsl line? If so, you generally enter
the username and password information into the router. Most of the dsl
modems and/or routers have an http interface that you can use to
configure them. If you give us a router type, we might be able to help
more.

Dave

Many thanks for your help. I went to the website of my router seller and
ISP and thanks to your explanation I began to understand a bit more.

Now I have a working wireless connection with Fedora 8.

Also many thanks to all people who were patient enough to give help

Jan