Old 01-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Joshua Andrews

Default fedora 8 unknown process "exe"

Hi

Just curious about a process that shows up in top as exe--it uses a fair
amount of processor time and killing it does not seem to effect
anything. I am wondering what it is-and where it is.

`ps auxwwf` does not list anything named exe.

Thanks

- Joshua

Old 01-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Brian Pepple

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 12:33 -0800, Joshua Andrews wrote:
> Just curious about a process that shows up in top as exe--it uses a fair
> amount of processor time and killing it does not seem to effect
> anything. I am wondering what it is-and where it is.
>
> `ps auxwwf` does not list anything named exe.

It's Pulse Audio.

/B

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BrianPepple
BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E

Old 01-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 03 January 2008, Joshua Andrews wrote:
>Hi
>
>Just curious about a process that shows up in top as exe--it uses a fair
>amount of processor time and killing it does not seem to effect
>anything. I am wondering what it is-and where it is.
>
>`ps auxwwf` does not list anything named exe.
>
>Thanks
>
>- Joshua

Sounds odd to me, there is no such process running on the x86_64 I just
installed yesterday morning.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Joshua Andrews

Brian Pepple wrote:

Just curious about a process that shows up in top as exe--it uses a fair
amount of processor time and killing it does not seem to effect
anything. I am wondering what it is-and where it is.

`ps auxwwf` does not list anything named exe.

It's Pulse Audio.

/B

Weird!

I guess I don't have a clue about pulse audio, I am running KDE desktop
and xmms did not seem phased at all by killing the process.

I wonder what starts the process since it seems to be just using energy
for nothing.

Thanks

- Joshua

Old 01-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Brian Pepple

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 13:01 -0800, Joshua Andrews wrote:
> Brian Pepple wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 12:33 -0800, Joshua Andrews wrote:
> >
> >> Just curious about a process that shows up in top as exe--it uses a fair
> >> amount of processor time and killing it does not seem to effect
> >> anything. I am wondering what it is-and where it is.
> >>
> >> `ps auxwwf` does not list anything named exe.
> >>

> > It's Pulse Audio.

> Weird!
>
> I guess I don't have a clue about pulse audio, I am running KDE desktop
> and xmms did not seem phased at all by killing the process.

I believe xmms uses the alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, so when you kill pulse
it just uses alsa.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RexDieter/PulseAudioKDE