Old 01-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Gene Heskett

Default F8-x86_64 dccm problem & confusion

Greetings;

Trying to make synce work on my lappy.

1) the error message when trying to start the synce-trayicon is missleading as
it names a failure to start dccm as a major problem, but parks itself in the
tray anyway.

2) starting synce-software-manager doesn't complain, but doesn't show anything
either. No pulldown config menu's or anything but the add-subtract etc
buttons. Is this the correct behaviour?

3) I finally installed the smart package manager because the updatern appears
to to have been dumbed down until it just barely survives. Using the search
function of SPM, I find that the package is actually named vdccm, and is
supposed to replace the dccm in the synce-kde package. Thats fine, but there
is no 'dccm' in the synce-kde package. And all the vdccm stuff that's
non-devel is installed already.

4) as user, do "strace /usr/bin/vdccm", which begins the failure stanza with a
getuid() returning a 500, then
setresuid(-1, 500, -1) = 0
setresuid(-1, 0, -1) = -1 EPERM (Operation not permitted)
getuid() = 500
geteuid() = 500
write(2, "[int main(int, char**)53:] ",27[int main(int, char**):53] ) = 27
write(2, "Could not start - either because"...,90Could not start - either
because vdccm is not installed suid, or you start directly as root) = 90

So I become root with an su - and repeat, and get essentially that same exact
output but without the setresuid's -EPERM return, it and the following
setresuid's are all = 0 this time:

getuid() = 0
setresuid(-1, 0, -1) = 0
setresuid(-1, 0, -1) = 0
getuid() = 0
geteuid() = 0
write(2, "[int main(int, char**)53:] ",27[int main(int, char**):53] ) = 27
write(2, "Could not start - either because"...,90Could not start - either
because vdccm is not installed suid, or you start directly as root) = 90

This does not appear to be an selinux problem, but a packaging problem, so how
do I fix the already installed /usr/bin/vdccm? Its perms now read -rwsr-xr-x
according to ls -l.

And 5) will this fix the synce-trayicon since its error message says dccm, not
vdccm?

6) what's the relationship to raki, do they clash and fsck things up fighting
over resources?

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Gene Heskett

Greetings;

2nd send, no reply to 1st.

Trying to make synce work on my lappy. Its an F8 x86_64 install on an HP
dv5120us Notebook.

1) the error message when trying to start the synce-trayicon is missleading as
it names a failure to start dccm as a major problem, but parks itself in the
tray anyway.

2) starting synce-software-manager doesn't complain, but doesn't show anything
either. No pulldown config menu's or anything but the add-subtract etc
buttons. Is this the correct behaviour?

3) I finally installed the smart package manager because the updater appears