Old 01-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Karl Larsen

Default Java Solution

Here is what Fedora leaders need to do to end the java problems on
Fedora. Here are things that need to happen.

1. Contact Sun Inc. and make sure they continue to package the free package:
"jre-6u3-linux-i586-rpm.bin" and any new improvements in the future. We
need to have Fedora docs that explain how to unpack this odd file. It
might be part of the install instructions.

Alternate is to talk Sun Inc. into changing their web page so that
people getting the free software must say yes to their legal stuff. Then
it becomes a plain rpm file installed easy.

2. Next the small wimpy java 1.51 which is of no use to a serious java
user should not be made available to the user.Instead there should be
dummy /usr/java/default/bin/java file which will print out "Java not
installed" if you press java in a Terminal. There needs to be a link
between /etc/alternatives/java to /usr/java/default/bin/java.

3. There is already a link from /etc/alternatives/java to /usr/bin/java.

4. Now a user can want java and should know it has to be installed. But
once installed it will work. This will be new.

Karl Larsen

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Scott van Looy

Today Karl Larsen did spake thusly:

2. Next the small wimpy java 1.51 which is of no use to a serious java user
should not be made available to the user.Instead there should be dummy
/usr/java/default/bin/java file which will print out "Java not installed" if
you press java in a Terminal. There needs to be a link between
/etc/alternatives/java to /usr/java/default/bin/java.

Most "Serious java users" ie corporations are using either 1.4 (as we are
at work) or 1.5, so stop speaking of something you know nothing about.
Hardly anyone is using 1.6 commercially yet. And they're the people who
are "serious users", not people trying to run applets in their browsers...

--
Scott van Looy - email:me@ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003

Old 01-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Karl Larsen

Scott van Looy wrote:

Today Karl Larsen did spake thusly:

2. Next the small wimpy java 1.51 which is of no use to a serious
java user should not be made available to the user.Instead there
should be dummy /usr/java/default/bin/java file which will print out
"Java not installed" if you press java in a Terminal. There needs to
be a link between /etc/alternatives/java to /usr/java/default/bin/java.

Most "Serious java users" ie corporations are using either 1.4 (as we
are at work) or 1.5, so stop speaking of something you know nothing
about. Hardly anyone is using 1.6 commercially yet. And they're the
people who are "serious users", not people trying to run applets in
their browsers...

Why lie about what I KNOW? I tried to install jedit with the 1.5 on
F8 and it just spit out error messages. Then I bit the bullet and
installed what Sun Inc said is right and jedit works SUPER.

That is fact not you GUESS.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Les Mikesell

Karl Larsen wrote:

[...]

You are comparing 1.5 apples to 1.6 oranges. The 1.5 you tried was not
Sun java, and jedit probably works just fine with Sun Java 1.5 as well
as the 1.6 you installed.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Craig White

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 16:40 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:

> >> Most "Serious java users" ie corporations are using either 1.4 (as we
> >> are at work) or 1.5, so stop speaking of something you know nothing
> >> about. Hardly anyone is using 1.6 commercially yet. And they're the
> >> people who are "serious users", not people trying to run applets in
> >> their browsers...
> >>
> > Why lie about what I KNOW? I tried to install jedit with the 1.5 on
> > F8 and it just spit out error messages. Then I bit the bullet and
> > installed what Sun Inc said is right and jedit works SUPER.
> >
> > That is fact not you GUESS.
>
> You are comparing 1.5 apples to 1.6 oranges. The 1.5 you tried was not
> Sun java, and jedit probably works just fine with Sun Java 1.5 as well
> as the 1.6 you installed.
----
what was the point you were trying make using Karl as proof? LOL!!!

Craig

Old 01-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Les Mikesell

Craig White wrote:

[...]

That this stuff should work as shipped.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Craig White

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 17:02 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> >> You are comparing 1.5 apples to 1.6 oranges. The 1.5 you tried was not
> >> Sun java, and jedit probably works just fine with Sun Java 1.5 as well
> >> as the 1.6 you installed.
> > ----
> > what was the point you were trying make using Karl as proof? LOL!!!
>
> That this stuff should work as shipped.
----
are you saying that jedit doesn't work with shipped version of gcj ?

Craig

Old 01-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Antonio Olivares

--- Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:

> use to a serious
> user.Instead there
> which will print out
> Terminal. There needs to
> /usr/java/default/bin/java.
> >>
> >> Most "Serious java users" ie corporations are
> using either 1.4 (as we
> >> are at work) or 1.5, so stop speaking of
> something you know nothing
> >> about. Hardly anyone is using 1.6 commercially
> yet. And they're the
> >> people who are "serious users", not people trying
> to run applets in
> >> their browsers...
> >>
> > Why lie about what I KNOW? I tried to install
> jedit with the 1.5 on
> > F8 and it just spit out error messages. Then I bit
> the bullet and
> > installed what Sun Inc said is right and jedit
> works SUPER.
> >
> > That is fact not you GUESS.
>
> You are comparing 1.5 apples to 1.6 oranges. The
> 1.5 you tried was not
> Sun java, and jedit probably works just fine with
> Sun Java 1.5 as well
> as the 1.6 you installed.

Know Les, 1.5 apples (one and a half apples)
1.6 oranges (one and six tenths of oranges)
What do apples and oranges have to do with java?

Jun from Sun cannot even be compatible with itself.
See article below. Fedora is working with Sun on
these and other issues. Please be patient .

I am constantly reminded of:

Why bite that hand that feeds you?

We cannot have all of the cake and eat it too.

> --
> Les Mikesell
> lesmikesell@gmail.com
>
> --

Compare Java to COBOL
http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/12/28/52FE-underreported-java_1.html

Regards,

Antonio

Old 01-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Craig White

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 15:26 -0800, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> --- Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:

> > use to a serious
> > user.Instead there
> > which will print out
> > Terminal. There needs to
> > /usr/java/default/bin/java.

> > using either 1.4 (as we
> > something you know nothing
> > yet. And they're the
> > to run applets in
> > >>
> > > Why lie about what I KNOW? I tried to install
> > jedit with the 1.5 on
> > > F8 and it just spit out error messages. Then I bit
> > the bullet and
> > > installed what Sun Inc said is right and jedit
> > works SUPER.
> > >
> > > That is fact not you GUESS.
> >
> > You are comparing 1.5 apples to 1.6 oranges. The
> > 1.5 you tried was not
> > Sun java, and jedit probably works just fine with
> > Sun Java 1.5 as well
> > as the 1.6 you installed.
> >
> Know Les, 1.5 apples (one and a half apples)
> 1.6 oranges (one and six tenths of oranges)
> What do apples and oranges have to do with java?
>
> Jun from Sun cannot even be compatible with itself.
> See article below. Fedora is working with Sun on
> these and other issues. Please be patient .
----
the 1.5 that Karl (and thus Les by extension) was the gcj version that
is bundled by Fedora and it's cloudy if not completely disconnected from
the Sun 1.5.x releases and obviously the Sun 1.6 releases. That's what
Les meant by Apples and Oranges (GCJ Java and Sun Java)

The fact remains that Karl is one confused puppy and Les stretches to
make a point that Karl's confusion represents the greater confusion as a
whole which is absurd because Karl represents wrongfulness and confusion
across the board, not just wrt java

I am quite certain that 5 days ago, I suggested that Les be patient but
that hasn't stopped him from trying to score ethereal points, and most
ashamedly, using Karl as proof of how problematic the situation is.

Craig

Old 01-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Karl Larsen

Karl Larsen wrote:

[...]