Old 01-03-2008, 08:53 AM
"Mike Morraye"

Default Nagios yum install

Dear List,
*
I just installed nagios on my Fedora 8 trough Yum. (standard repo's)
Now it seems that the rpm installs in different dir's than what you're expected to do while installing from source.
Now it's quite hard to follow the official nagios manual, and i can't seem to find modified ones.
*
What should I do?

Old 01-03-2008, 10:19 PM
"Tod Merley"

On Jan 3, 2008 1:53 AM, Mike Morraye <zotkop@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I just installed nagios on my Fedora 8 trough Yum. (standard repo's)
> Now it seems that the rpm installs in different dir's than what you're
> expected to do while installing from source.
> Now it's quite hard to follow the official nagios manual, and i can't seem
> to find modified ones.
>
> What should I do?

Hi Mike Morraye!

If I were you I think I would uninstall what you did through yum and
follow the instructions here (maybe making slight changes for F8
rather than F6):

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/quickstart-fedora.html

I am glad you asked since I need to get started on nagios myself.

Have Fun!

Tod

Old 01-04-2008, 01:56 AM
"David Burns"

rpm -q --filesbypkg nagios

will tell you where various files are located.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:52 AM
"Mike Morraye"

Thanks for the help Tod.
I still didn't figure out why there is a Nagios package in the (standard) yum repo's* that doesn't work.
I hope this doesn't scare ppl from using it. Bcaus, it is a nice tool.
*
Thx for the tip David,
but if I remove it trough yum again, I guess, it will erase all of*the correct files?
Or am I missing something here?
*
regards,
*
Mike

Old 01-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Brian Gaynor

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 10:53 +0100, Mike Morraye wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I just installed nagios on my Fedora 8 trough Yum. (standard repo's)
> Now it seems that the rpm installs in different dir's than what you're
> expected to do while installing from source.
> Now it's quite hard to follow the official nagios manual, and i can't
> seem to find modified ones.
>
> What should I do?

While the rpms install directories don't match the Nagios defaults, they
do match up better with other Fedora packages. Most (all?) of what you
need can be found in /etc/nagios. Nagios takes a lot of configuring to
get anything useful.

- Brian

Old 01-09-2008, 03:54 PM
David Jansen

Here on my system (Fedora 7) it works just fine to install nagios from
rpms and configure it. Sure, it may have slightly different directory
names, but I actually think they are easier this way, and compliant
with the Linux filesystem standards.
Besides, the fedora rpms provide automatic integration in your
webserver, so you can skip that whole part of the nagios setup, and the
various commands nagios has to run to monitor various services, already
have all the setup and pathnames that make sense in Fedora.

<offtopic>
which reminds me of a Debian horror story. Just because nagios has a
plugin to monitor samba, snmp and various other services, all of these
were pulled in as dependencies. Not exactly what I intended...
</offtopic>

David Jansen

Old 01-11-2008, 06:45 AM
"Dave Burns"

2008/1/7 Mike Morraye <zotkop@gmail.com>:

> Thx for the tip David,
> but if I remove it trough yum again, I guess, it will erase all of the
> correct files?
> Or am I missing something here?

That's right, my tip is useless if you uninstall the rpm. It would be
useful if you want to figure out how the rpm version works instead of
uninstalling. The rpm version presumably was prepared by persons who
know something about both fedora and nagios and put things where they
'belong' on fedora, and (as David Jansen pointed out) they did a lot
of your work for you with regard to integrating with the webserver,
etc.

rpm is my big crutch, I am very reluctant to install anything without
it. That's not because I don't know how to type config ;make;make
install, but because I need the rpm database keeping track of my
changes. And when a file is not where I expect it to be, rpm -q
--filesbypkg will tell me where it is.
Dave

Old 01-11-2008, 07:45 AM
"Mike Morraye"

While the rpms install directories don't match the Nagios defaults, they
do match up better with other Fedora packages.

*
Ok thx, That's a good reason to do it that way.
I guess, that it'll be better with the official Fedora-way of installing for future upgrading.
*
ps; it's up and i love it!
*
thx for all the effort.
*
Mike
*

Old 05-08-2008, 12:38 PM
mitcheln

Hello,
This may be a little late. I found this thread since I was experiencing the same issue. I solved this stage as follows.
The line:
htpasswd -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users nagiosadmin
in the Fedora Quickstart document should be replaced with :
htpasswd -c /etc/nagios/passwd nagiosadmin

I figured this out by looking at the file:
/etc/httpd/conf.d/nagios.conf
which shows the layout of the files and, importantly I suppose, the name of the file that apache should look for for authentication.

I've yet to continue the configuration, so I may run into other problems.

Regards, Nic

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=262796&topic_id=49955&forum= 10#forumpost262796
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame nmsns@mac.com.