Old 01-03-2008, 02:57 AM
"Mr.Scrooge"

Default central administration

Does anyone know why the administration tools are not all accessible through a single panel? I
have seen this done in other distros and it makes alot of sense. Though in these other distros the
default five minute sudo rule ( once you enter the root password, you get five minutes of
unrestricted(gui) admin access) was still enabled which if you centralize administration doesn't
make a lot of sense. I know the "5 minute rule" can be eliminated via the addition of
"timestamp_timeout=0" but why not centralize administration and eliminate it all together?
Gnome-control-center will run from a command line. I guess the real question is why the
gnome-control-center isn't availiable via gui(by default) as a central administration tool. In the
case of System>Administration and all the individual options, the "5 minute rule" makes sense but
with central admin panel I don't see the need. Someone please enlighten me.

-Max

Old 01-03-2008, 03:15 AM
Matthew Miller

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 07:57:16PM -0800, Mr.Scrooge wrote:

> administration doesn't make a lot of sense. I know the "5 minute rule" can
> be eliminated via the addition of "timestamp_timeout=0" but why not
> centralize administration and eliminate it all together?

That kind of answers itself -- if eliminating it altogether were a good
default, it'd be *off* by default.

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org <http://mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux ------> <http://linux.bu.edu/>

Old 01-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Craig White

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 19:57 -0800, Mr.Scrooge wrote:
> Does anyone know why the administration tools are not all accessible through a single panel? I
> have seen this done in other distros and it makes alot of sense. Though in these other distros the
> default five minute sudo rule ( once you enter the root password, you get five minutes of
> unrestricted(gui) admin access) was still enabled which if you centralize administration doesn't
> make a lot of sense. I know the "5 minute rule" can be eliminated via the addition of
> "timestamp_timeout=0" but why not centralize administration and eliminate it all together?
> Gnome-control-center will run from a command line. I guess the real question is why the
> gnome-control-center isn't availiable via gui(by default) as a central administration tool. In the
> case of System>Administration and all the individual options, the "5 minute rule" makes sense but
> with central admin panel I don't see the need. Someone please enlighten me.
----
because people walk away from their desks for all sorts of reasons

Craig

Old 01-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 19:57 -0800, Mr.Scrooge wrote:
> Does anyone know why the administration tools are not all accessible through a single panel? I
> have seen this done in other distros and it makes alot of sense. Though in these other distros the
> default five minute sudo rule ( once you enter the root password, you get five minutes of
> unrestricted(gui) admin access) was still enabled which if you centralize administration doesn't
> make a lot of sense. I know the "5 minute rule" can be eliminated via the addition of
> "timestamp_timeout=0" but why not centralize administration and eliminate it all together?
> Gnome-control-center will run from a command line. I guess the real question is why the
> gnome-control-center isn't availiable via gui(by default) as a central administration tool. In the
> case of System>Administration and all the individual options, the "5 minute rule" makes sense but
> with central admin panel I don't see the need. Someone please enlighten me.

We've got one, which sets up just about everthing within one GUI and
hopefully Rahul will give you the latest link. I ferget the package name
and have been intending to install it to FC8. My own opinion is that it
should be included in the basic distro. It's a good application, IMHO.
Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 01-03-2008, 06:09 PM
"Mr.Scrooge"

Craig White <craig@tobyhouse.com> wrote:
On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 19:57 -0800, Mr.Scrooge wrote:
> Does anyone know why the administration tools are not all accessible through a single panel? I
> have seen this done in other distros and it makes alot of sense. Though in these other distros the
> default five minute sudo rule ( once you enter the root password, you get five minutes of
> unrestricted(gui) admin access) was still enabled which if you centralize administration doesn't
> make a lot of sense. I know the "5 minute rule" can be eliminated via the addition of
> "timestamp_timeout=0" but why not centralize administration and eliminate it all together?
> Gnome-control-center will run from a command line. I guess the real question is why the
> gnome-control-center isn't availiable
via gui(by default) as a central administration tool. In the
> case of System>Administration and all the individual options, the "5 minute rule" makes sense but
> with central admin panel I don't see the need. Someone please enlighten me.
----
<because people walk away from their desks for all sorts of reasons

Craig

I hadn't considered the possibility that someone would be so careless. The timeout on sudo helps in this case i suppose but i think a better solution would be to centralize administration and then have it prompt you for a password if the there is no activity for 5 minutes or close the panel automagically but maybe this would cost too much in terms of resources.

-Max

Old 01-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Ric Moore wrote:

[...]

It is unmaintained for a long time but anyway, here you go.

http://www.indianoss.org/modules/wfdownloads/viewcat.php?cid=10

Rahul

Old 01-04-2008, 12:24 AM
"Mr.Scrooge"

--- Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

> We've got one, which sets up just about everthing within one GUI and
> hopefully Rahul will give you the latest link. I ferget the package name
> and have been intending to install it to FC8. My own opinion is that it
> should be included in the basic distro. It's a good application, IMHO.
> Ric
>
> --
Cool thanks for the info. I would really like to see something like this included in future
releases.
Thanks!!

-Max

Old 01-04-2008, 12:43 AM
"Mr.Scrooge"

--- Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 19:57 -0800, Mr.Scrooge wrote:
> >> Does anyone know why the administration tools are not all accessible through a single panel?
> >> have seen this done in other distros and it makes alot of sense. Though in these other
> distros the
> >> default five minute sudo rule ( once you enter the root password, you get five minutes of
> >> unrestricted(gui) admin access) was still enabled which if you centralize administration
> doesn't
> >> make a lot of sense. I know the "5 minute rule" can be eliminated via the addition of
> >> "timestamp_timeout=0" but why not centralize administration and eliminate it all together?
> >> Gnome-control-center will run from a command line. I guess the real question is why the
> >> gnome-control-center isn't availiable via gui(by default) as a central administration tool.
> In the
> >> case of System>Administration and all the individual options, the "5 minute rule" makes sense
> but
> >> with central admin panel I don't see the need. Someone please enlighten me.
> >
> > We've got one, which sets up just about everthing within one GUI and
> > hopefully Rahul will give you the latest link. I ferget the package name
> > and have been intending to install it to FC8. My own opinion is that it
> > should be included in the basic distro. It's a good application, IMHO.
>
> It is unmaintained for a long time but anyway, here you go.
>
> http://www.indianoss.org/modules/wfdownloads/viewcat.php?cid=10
>
> Rahul

Thanks for the link. I will check it out. Why has it remained unmaintained?It seems like a very
useful tool.

Thanks Again!!
-Max

Old 01-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Ric Moore

> Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 19:57 -0800, Mr.Scrooge wrote:
> >> Does anyone know why the administration tools are not all accessible through a single panel? I
> >> have seen this done in other distros and it makes alot of sense. Though in these other distros the
> >> default five minute sudo rule ( once you enter the root password, you get five minutes of
> >> unrestricted(gui) admin access) was still enabled which if you centralize administration doesn't
> >> make a lot of sense. I know the "5 minute rule" can be eliminated via the addition of
> >> "timestamp_timeout=0" but why not centralize administration and eliminate it all together?
> >> Gnome-control-center will run from a command line. I guess the real question is why the
> >> gnome-control-center isn't availiable via gui(by default) as a central administration tool. In the
> >> case of System>Administration and all the individual options, the "5 minute rule" makes sense but
> >> with central admin panel I don't see the need. Someone please enlighten me.
> >
> > We've got one, which sets up just about everthing within one GUI and
> > hopefully Rahul will give you the latest link. I ferget the package name
> > and have been intending to install it to FC8. My own opinion is that it
> > should be included in the basic distro. It's a good application, IMHO.
>
> It is unmaintained for a long time but anyway, here you go.
>
> http://www.indianoss.org/modules/wfdownloads/viewcat.php?cid=10
>
> Rahul

Thanks Rahul! Happy New Years to you and your's. And, thanks for putting
up with me and this bunch. The phrase "Herding Cats" comes to mind.
<chuckles> Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar