Old 01-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Dennis Gilmore

Default java again really

On Wednesday 02 January 2008 05:46:06 pm Karl Larsen wrote:
> I am going nuts with F8. I want to get jedit to work and the java is
> bad. I installed the latest version 6 but removed it to learn I am
> trying to use this java:
>
> java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0-17.fc8
>
> I didn't load this special. It comes with F8. It has 30 dependencies
>
> :-) I find when I try to delete it. By the way I HAVE deleted the
>
> icedtea rpm's that F8 loads. It appears that F8 has some java built in
> but it is too old to support jedit, or not big enough, or both.
>
> A friend who has jedit working has these java files:
>
> glib-java-0.2.6-3.fc6
> libvte-java-0.12.1-6.el5
> libglade-java-2.12.5-3.fc6
> cairo-java-1.0.5-3.fc6
> libgtk-java-2.8.7-3.el5
> revamp_java-0.0-3.rhis
> libgconf-java-2.12.4-6.el5
> java-1.5.0-sun-plugin-1.5.0.13-1jpp.1.el5
> libgnome-java-2.12.4-3.fc6
> java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-1.4.2.0-40jpp.112
> java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.13-1jpp.1.el5
>

> Does anyone know how I can get this list on my F8?
Well he has the propietory sun java on RHEL 5. ive found icedtea to be fine
for my needs

I suggest you read about the alternatives system

the java you have is gcj. which is fine for many things but feature lacking
for some. icedtea is a version of Java 1.7 use it make sure you have
alternatives using the right java

alternatives --display java

will show you what is available.

Dennis

Old 01-03-2008, 01:22 AM
"Knute Johnson"

To install and run Sun Java on F8 look at the simplified instructions
on this site;

http://rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com/sun-java-on-F8.html

You don't need to remove anything before installing Sun Java. JEdit
should work with icedtea anyway.

--
Knute Johnson
Molon Labe...

Old 01-03-2008, 01:31 AM
Antonio Olivares

--- Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

> I am going nuts with F8. I want to get jedit to
> work and the java is
> bad. I installed the latest version 6 but removed it
> to learn I am
> trying to use this java:
>
> java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0-17.fc8
>
> I didn't load this special. It comes with F8. It has
> 30 dependencies
> :-) I find when I try to delete it. By the way I
> HAVE deleted the
> icedtea rpm's that F8 loads. It appears that F8 has
> some java built in
> but it is too old to support jedit, or not big
> enough, or both.
>
> A friend who has jedit working has these java
> files:
>
> glib-java-0.2.6-3.fc6
> libvte-java-0.12.1-6.el5
> libglade-java-2.12.5-3.fc6
> cairo-java-1.0.5-3.fc6
> libgtk-java-2.8.7-3.el5
> revamp_java-0.0-3.rhis
> libgconf-java-2.12.4-6.el5
> java-1.5.0-sun-plugin-1.5.0.13-1jpp.1.el5
> libgnome-java-2.12.4-3.fc6
> java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-1.4.2.0-40jpp.112
> java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.13-1jpp.1.el5
>

> Does anyone know how I can get this list on my F8?
>

> Karl
>

> --
>
> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> Linux User
> #450462 http://counter.li.org.
> PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23
> 53A7
>
> --

Karl,

I hope that it is not much of a problem, but why do
you need jedit? What is it and what does it do that
cannot be done with the default java/icedtea that
comes with Fedora?

I for one, confess not to be a KNOW IT ALL type of
person, and have figured several things out during the
*java problem* ordeal. Before all at one point I got
Java with NetBeans bundle, but java has really
progressed a great deal with Fedora. It is now much
better than it was before. I learned several new
things:

I downloaded a java book online by Eck,
http://math.hws.edu/javanotes/. Pretty neat,

I had learned a little of C++ back in 1996 when going
to college. I learned new things with c++ on the
command line, using
$ c++ -o programname programname.cpp
$ ./programname
ran the c++ program if it compiled without errors of
course.

Then I looked at java, using
$ javac programname.java
compile(s) the program, then it is run with
$ java programname
and it worked for me. As an example, I got the file
http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Programming/java/properties/SystemProperties.java
with the instructions/sample data
http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Programming/java/properties/SystemProperties.out

and I get the following:

[olivares@localhost javawork]$ java SystemProperties

+-------------------------+
| SET SYSTEM PROPERTIES |
+-------------------------+

-----------------------
Setting System Property
-----------------------

----------------------------
Retrieving System Properties
----------------------------

{test.value1} = This is test #1
{test.value2} = This is test #2

+-------------------------+
| QUERY SYSTEM PROPERTIES |
+-------------------------+

Use list() method to list all property values...

-- listing properties --
java.runtime.name=IcedTea Runtime Environment
sun.boot.library.path=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0...
java.vm.version=1.7.0-b21
java.vm.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
java.vendor.url=http://java.sun.com/
path.separator=:
java.vm.name=IcedTea Client VM
file.encoding.pkg=sun.io
user.country=US
sun.java.launcher=SUN_STANDARD
sun.os.patch.level=unknown
java.vm.specification.name=Java Virtual Machine
Specification
user.dir=/home/olivares/Documents/javawork
java.runtime.version=1.7.0-b21
java.awt.graphicsenv=sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironmen t
java.endorsed.dirs=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0...
os.arch=i386
java.io.tmpdir=/tmp
line.separator=

java.vm.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
os.name=Linux
sun.jnu.encoding=UTF-8
java.library.path=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0...
javax.net.ssl.trustStore=/etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt
test.value2=This is test #2
test.value1=This is test #1
java.specification.name=Java Platform API
Specification
java.class.version=50.0
sun.management.compiler=HotSpot Client Compiler
os.version=2.6.23.9-85.fc8
user.home=/home/olivares
user.timezone=
user.zoneinfo.dir=/usr/share/javazi
java.awt.printerjob=sun.print.PSPrinterJob
java.specification.version=1.7
file.encoding=UTF-8
javax.net.ssl.trustStoreType=CertBundle
user.name=olivares
java.class.path=.
java.vm.specification.version=1.0
javax.net.ssl.trustStoreProvider=
sun.arch.data.model=32
java.home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0...
java.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
user.language=en
java.vm.info=mixed mode
java.version=1.7.0
java.ext.dirs=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0...
sun.boot.class.path=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0...
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
file.separator=/
java.vendor.url.bug=http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport...
sun.cpu.endian=little
sun.io.unicode.encoding=UnicodeLittle
javax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=
sun.cpu.isalist=

Get Property Names and Enumerate through them...

java.runtime.name -> IcedTea Runtime Environment
sun.boot.library.path ->
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0.0/jre/lib/i386
java.vm.version -> 1.7.0-b21
java.vm.vendor -> Sun Microsystems Inc.
java.vendor.url -> http://java.sun.com/
path.separator -> :
java.vm.name -> IcedTea Client VM
file.encoding.pkg -> sun.io
user.country -> US
sun.java.launcher -> SUN_STANDARD
sun.os.patch.level -> unknown
java.vm.specification.name -> Java Virtual Machine
Specification
user.dir -> /home/olivares/Documents/javawork
java.runtime.version -> 1.7.0-b21
java.awt.graphicsenv ->
sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment
java.endorsed.dirs ->
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0.0/jre/lib/endorsed
os.arch -> i386
java.io.tmpdir -> /tmp
line.separator ->

java.vm.specification.vendor -> Sun Microsystems
Inc.
os.name -> Linux
sun.jnu.encoding -> UTF-8
java.library.path ->
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0.0/jre/lib/i386/client:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0.0/jre/lib/i386:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0.0/jre/../lib/i386:/usr/java/packages/lib/i386:/lib:/usr/lib
[...]
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0.0/jre/lib/ext:/usr/java/packages/lib/ext
sun.boot.class.path ->
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0.0/jre/lib/resources.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0.0/jre/lib/rt.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0.0/jre/lib/sunrsasign.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0.0/jre/lib/jsse.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0.0/jre/lib/jce.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0.0/jre/lib/charsets.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0.0/jre/classes
http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi
sun.cpu.endian -> little
sun.io.unicode.encoding -> UnicodeLittle
javax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword ->
sun.cpu.isalist ->
[olivares@localhost javawork]$

everything runs smooth and in my opinion does not ask
much from the original sun's java/javaSDK. I have
used those before and did not get very far except for
"HelloWorld.java". I have someways to go to catch up
to my 17 year old nephew, who I introduced to c++ a
little bit and now he kicks my butt with java, he can
do it all, arrays, classes, etc. Now he will teach me
some java I hope. At one point, I was his hero
because I had linux, run some C++ programs with
Kdevelop and now the world turned around in a hurry
and it is me know that wants to learn from him,

Regards,

Antonio

Old 01-03-2008, 01:53 AM
Antonio Olivares

--- Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
>
> > I am going nuts with F8. I want to get jedit
> > work and the java is
> > bad. I installed the latest version 6 but removed
> it
> > to learn I am
> > trying to use this java:
> >
> > java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0-17.fc8
> >
> > I didn't load this special. It comes with F8. It
> has
> > 30 dependencies
> > :-) I find when I try to delete it. By the way I
> > HAVE deleted the
> > icedtea rpm's that F8 loads. It appears that F8
> has
> > some java built in
> > but it is too old to support jedit, or not big
> > enough, or both.
> >
> > A friend who has jedit working has these java
> > files:
> >
> > glib-java-0.2.6-3.fc6
> > libvte-java-0.12.1-6.el5
> > libglade-java-2.12.5-3.fc6
> > cairo-java-1.0.5-3.fc6
> > libgtk-java-2.8.7-3.el5
> > revamp_java-0.0-3.rhis
> > libgconf-java-2.12.4-6.el5
> > java-1.5.0-sun-plugin-1.5.0.13-1jpp.1.el5
> > libgnome-java-2.12.4-3.fc6
> > java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-1.4.2.0-40jpp.112
> > java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.13-1jpp.1.el5
> >

> > Does anyone know how I can get this list on my F8?
> >

> > Karl
> >

> > --
> >
> > Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> > Linux User
> > #450462 http://counter.li.org.
> > PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54
> FE23
> > 53A7
> >
> > --
>
> Karl,
>
> I hope that it is not much of a problem, but why do
> you need jedit? What is it and what does it do that
> cannot be done with the default java/icedtea that
> comes with Fedora?

=== message truncated ===

Ok, Karl, and others, I apologize for not doing my
homework.

Jedit is an editor, just like NetBeans, Eclipse, et.
all.
http://www.jedit.org/

It has all the following features:
http://www.jedit.org/index.php?page=features

http://www.jedit.org/

The java that comes with Fedora is not all the way the
same as Sun's, yes do what Knute told you if you have
not done so already. Other than that, the java that
comes with Fedora, in my humble opinion is getting
there, given a bit of time, should do everything that
the original java does and some more.

Regards,

Antonio

Old 01-03-2008, 02:51 AM
Karl Larsen

Knute Johnson wrote:
To install and run Sun Java on F8 look at the simplified instructions
on this site;

http://rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com/sun-java-on-F8.html

You don't need to remove anything before installing Sun Java. JEdit
should work with icedtea anyway.

Some of the things the page says are wrong. But it will be easy now
with sim links to use the right java and jedit will work. By the way, I
tried it with icedtea and it did not work at ALL!

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-03-2008, 03:02 AM
"Knute Johnson"

>Knute Johnson wrote:
>> To install and run Sun Java on F8 look at the simplified instructions
>> on this site;
>>
>> http://rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com/sun-java-on-F8.html
>>
>> You don't need to remove anything before installing Sun Java. JEdit
>> should work with icedtea anyway.
>>

> Some of the things the page says are wrong. But it will be easy now
>with sim links to use the right java and jedit will work. By the way, I
>tried it with icedtea and it did not work at ALL!

What is wrong with the document?

--
Knute Johnson
Molon Labe...

Old 01-03-2008, 03:09 AM
Dennis Gilmore

On Wednesday 02 January 2008, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 January 2008 05:46:06 pm Karl Larsen wrote:
> > I am going nuts with F8. I want to get jedit to work and the java is
> > bad. I installed the latest version 6 but removed it to learn I am
> > trying to use this java:
> >
> > java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0-17.fc8
> >
> > I didn't load this special. It comes with F8. It has 30 dependencies
> >
> > :-) I find when I try to delete it. By the way I HAVE deleted the
> >
> > icedtea rpm's that F8 loads. It appears that F8 has some java built in
> > but it is too old to support jedit, or not big enough, or both.

i just downloaded jedit4.3pre12install.jar from sourceforge ran
java -jar jedit4.3pre12install.jar

then jedit and it just worked. i have icedtea configured as my java using
alternatives.

So you must have done something to mess up your install. without fully know
what you did i doubt we can help you

Dennis

Old 01-03-2008, 04:47 AM
Craig White

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 20:02 -0800, Knute Johnson wrote:
> >Knute Johnson wrote:
> >> To install and run Sun Java on F8 look at the simplified instructions
> >> on this site;
> >>
> >> http://rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com/sun-java-on-F8.html
> >>
> >> You don't need to remove anything before installing Sun Java. JEdit
> >> should work with icedtea anyway.
> >>

> > Some of the things the page says are wrong. But it will be easy now
> >with sim links to use the right java and jedit will work. By the way, I
> >tried it with icedtea and it did not work at ALL!
>
> What is wrong with the document?
----
specifically, nothing, generally, you are really only plucking the low
hanging fruit of a i386 install with emphasis on getting functional use
of the sun java plugin running in Firefox.

If someone has ambitions beyond that, your instructions are of little
value. We have already covered this ground.

Craig

Old 01-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Karl Larsen

Knute Johnson wrote:

Knute Johnson wrote:

To install and run Sun Java on F8 look at the simplified instructions
on this site;

http://rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com/sun-java-on-F8.html

You don't need to remove anything before installing Sun Java. JEdit
should work with icedtea anyway.

Some of the things the page says are wrong. But it will be easy now
with sim links to use the right java and jedit will work. By the way, I
tried it with icedtea and it did not work at ALL!

What is wrong with the document?

Funny you should ask :-)

The document is good but it appears the two lib files are already on F8
and it leaves out the most important part. You need to use the new java
when you call java from a terminal. I got done with the document but
when I would type java -version I got the wimpy version Fedora sends.

So I looked at /usr/bin/java and it is linked to
/etc/alternatives/java. So I mv java old.java. Then link to the new java
with this:

[root@k5di bin]# ln -s /usr/java/default/bin/java /etc/alternatives/java

The default/bin/java will be the latest one in the /usr/java/ directory.

With this addition my jedit was installed fast and it works right. I
needs to be added to the document.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Karl Larsen

Dennis Gilmore wrote:

[...]

It is all done Dennis. I learned how to use java version 6 and jedit
works great now.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI