Old 01-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Tim Alberts

Default Email delivery

Question, where is it configured (in FC6) with sendmail/procmail that
mail is delivered to /var/spool/mail/<user>?

I see in the sendmail.cf that the mqueue is configured, but I use the m4
and there's nothing that says where mail is delivered. I figured at
first it was a procmail configuration, but all it does (with my setup)
is send it to spamassassin. I'm thinking the sendmail m4 line:

FEATURE(local_procmail, `', `procmail -t -Y -a $h -d $u')dnl

is setting the delivery location from the parameter $h and the user from $u?

Old 01-03-2008, 02:06 AM
Robert Nichols

Tim Alberts wrote:
Question, where is it configured (in FC6) with sendmail/procmail that
mail is delivered to /var/spool/mail/<user>?

I see in the sendmail.cf that the mqueue is configured, but I use the m4
and there's nothing that says where mail is delivered. I figured at
first it was a procmail configuration, but all it does (with my setup)
is send it to spamassassin. I'm thinking the sendmail m4 line:

FEATURE(local_procmail, `', `procmail -t -Y -a $h -d $u')dnl

is setting the delivery location from the parameter $h and the user from
$u?

Sendmail invokes procmail as a delivery agent. Procmail, in the
absence of any config file settings to the contrary, delivers to
its compiled-in default of /var/mail/<user>. You'll find that
/var/mail is a symlink to /var/spool/mail.

Do NOT delete it.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Tim Alberts

Robert Nichols wrote:

Sendmail invokes procmail as a delivery agent. Procmail, in the
absence of any config file settings to the contrary, delivers to
its compiled-in default of /var/mail/<user>. You'll find that
/var/mail is a symlink to /var/spool/mail.

Very helpful answer. Thank you.