-   -   Recommendations for software to use with Creative Zen MP3 player (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/27123-recommendations-software-use-creative-zen-mp3-player.html)

Chris G 01-02-2008 08:03 PM

Recommendations for software to use with Creative Zen MP3 player

What do people panel recommend to use with a Creative Zen MP3 player.

Main requirement is to be able to download MP3s and put them onto the
Zen, it's not a requirement to be able to play them on the computer.

Podcast synchronisation would be a plus but lets try walking before we
run. Doing this on windows has turned into a disatrous mess.

--
Chris Green

"Mr.Scrooge" 01-03-2008 12:54 AM

Recommendations for software to use with Creative Zen MP3 player

Gnomad2 is supposed to do this i think but most of these (much appreciated) efforts have been
reverse engineered, which leaves much room for error when the manufacturer decides to change how
they do things. I actually called Creative and asked about linux support, because i had heard
conflicting tales, the person who answered said they did not think linux was supported. I took
that as a "NO". I have had a couple of bad experiences with MP3 players lately(Sansa and newer
IPODS), so maybe i am just bitter.

"Ron Siven" 01-03-2008 01:36 AM

--- Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> What do people panel recommend to use with a Creative Zen MP3 player.
>
> Main requirement is to be able to download MP3s and put them onto the

> Zen, it's not a requirement to be able to play them on the computer.
>
> Podcast synchronisation would be a plus but lets try walking before we
> run. *Doing this on windows has turned into a disatrous mess.

> --
> Chris Green

*
Chris, Have you tried Amarok?* It works well with older iPods and has an entry for a creative Nomad device.

- Ron

Chris G 01-03-2008 07:48 AM

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 08:36:19PM -0600, Ron Siven wrote:
> --- Chris G <[2]cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> > What do people panel recommend to use with a Creative Zen MP3
> player.
> >
> > Main requirement is to be able to download MP3s and put them onto
> the
> > Zen, it's not a requirement to be able to play them on the computer.
> >
> > Podcast synchronisation would be a plus but lets try walking before
> we
> > run. Doing this on windows has turned into a disatrous mess.
> >
> Chris, Have you tried Amarok? It works well with older iPods and has
> an entry for a creative Nomad device.
> - Ron

I gave it a quick try last night, it looks very slick, however it
*didn't* recognise the Creative Zen. Note that the Creative Zen (as I
understand it) isn't a 'Nomad' device, it's just a straightforward MP3
player.

When plugged in all I see in dmesg is:-

usb 7-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9

It looks as if I'll have to do a bit of configuration in amarok to get
it to see the Zen.

--
Chris Green

John Summerfield 01-03-2008 08:24 AM

Chris G wrote:

What do people panel recommend to use with a Creative Zen MP3 player.

Main requirement is to be able to download MP3s and put them onto the
Zen, it's not a requirement to be able to play them on the computer.

Podcast synchronisation would be a plus but lets try walking before we
run. Doing this on windows has turned into a disatrous mess.

I have one. on F8,
gnomad2 works.
amarok does not.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Chris G 01-03-2008 11:17 AM

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 06:24:27PM +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
>> What do people panel recommend to use with a Creative Zen MP3 player.
>>
>> Main requirement is to be able to download MP3s and put them onto the
>> Zen, it's not a requirement to be able to play them on the computer.
>>
>> Podcast synchronisation would be a plus but lets try walking before we
>> run. Doing this on windows has turned into a disatrous mess.
> I have one. on F8,
> gnomad2 works.
> amarok does not.

What version of gnomad2? The version I have installed on Fedora 7
doesn't recognise our Creative Zen MP3 player, it just says something
about "no Nomad ...".

What Zen player do you have? Ours is just a Zen 4Gb, no other names.

Thanks for the feedback.

--
Chris Green

John Summerfield 01-03-2008 08:21 PM

Chris G wrote:

What do people panel recommend to use with a Creative Zen MP3 player.

Main requirement is to be able to download MP3s and put them onto the
Zen, it's not a requirement to be able to play them on the computer.

Podcast synchronisation would be a plus but lets try walking before we
run. Doing this on windows has turned into a disatrous mess.

I have one. on F8,
gnomad2 works.
amarok does not.

What version of gnomad2? The version I have installed on Fedora 7
doesn't recognise our Creative Zen MP3 player, it just says something
about "no Nomad ...".

As I said, I'm on F8. System's down atm.

What Zen player do you have? Ours is just a Zen 4Gb, no other names.

1 Gb Zen V Plus.

I found two candidates with google; both are packaged for Ubuntu where I
tested first, then I found gnomad2 in a repo for f8.

magicus 01-06-2008 09:49 PM

--- Chris G <[2]cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> What do people panel recommend to use with a Creative Zen MP3
player.

> Main requirement is to be able to download MP3s and put them onto
the
> Zen, it's not a requirement to be able to play them on the computer.
>
> Podcast synchronisation would be a plus but lets try walking before
we
> run. Doing this on windows has turned into a disatrous mess.

Chris, Have you tried Amarok? It works well with older iPods and has
an entry for a creative Nomad device.
- Ron

I gave it a quick try last night, it looks very slick, however it
*didn't* recognise the Creative Zen. Note that the Creative Zen (as I
understand it) isn't a 'Nomad' device, it's just a straightforward MP3
player.

When plugged in all I see in dmesg is:-

usb 7-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9

It looks as if I'll have to do a bit of configuration in amarok to get
it to see the Zen.

If the Zen is like my Creative Zen Stone then all you have to do is plug
it in and drag the MP3s to it. I have used Gnomad2 with my Nomad in the
past,

hth