Old 01-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Greg Sieranski

Default Custom F8 kernal and ath5k

Has anyone had any success compiling their own kernal and enabling the
ath5k driver per
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath5k#Getdriver with an
Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5418 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless PCI Express
Adapter (rev 01)? I have had no luck with the madwifi drivers and and
trying to find some other way to get my wireless to work.

Thanks,
gs

Old 01-02-2008, 04:35 PM
"John W. Linville"

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 10:25:40AM -0500, Greg Sieranski wrote:
> Has anyone had any success compiling their own kernal and enabling the
> ath5k driver per
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath5k#Getdriver with an
> Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5418 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless PCI Express
> Adapter (rev 01)? I have had no luck with the madwifi drivers and and
> trying to find some other way to get my wireless to work.

Why would you need to do this? ath5k is already in F8 kernels.

John
--
John W. Linville
linville@redhat.com

Old 01-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Greg Sieranski

John W. Linville wrote:

Has anyone had any success compiling their own kernal and enabling the
ath5k driver per
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath5k#Getdriver with an
Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5418 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless PCI Express
Adapter (rev 01)? I have had no luck with the madwifi drivers and and
trying to find some other way to get my wireless to work.

Why would you need to do this? ath5k is already in F8 kernels.

John

thanks, i did not know it was there. So i removed all madwifi modules
and then reloaded the ath5k driver and get the following when running lsmod:

ath5k 98501 0
mac80211 132045 1 ath5k

however, when i do an iwconfig i get:
lo no wireless extensions.

irda0 no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

sit0 no wireless extensions.

vmnet1 no wireless extensions.

vmnet8 no wireless extensions.

virbr0 no wireless extensions.

So no wireless devices are showing up. Any thoughts on what I can try next?

I have an Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5418 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless
PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

Thanks for the help,
gs

Old 01-02-2008, 06:34 PM
"Lonni J Friedman"

On 1/2/08, Greg Sieranski <greg.sieranski@quoininc.com> wrote:
> John W. Linville wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 10:25:40AM -0500, Greg Sieranski wrote:
> >
> >> Has anyone had any success compiling their own kernal and enabling the
> >> ath5k driver per
> >> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath5k#Getdriver with an
> >> Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5418 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless PCI Express
> >> Adapter (rev 01)? I have had no luck with the madwifi drivers and and
> >> trying to find some other way to get my wireless to work.
> >>

> > Why would you need to do this? ath5k is already in F8 kernels.
> >
> > John
> >
> thanks, i did not know it was there. So i removed all madwifi modules
> and then reloaded the ath5k driver and get the following when running lsmod:
>
> ath5k 98501 0
> mac80211 132045 1 ath5k
>

> however, when i do an iwconfig i get:
> lo no wireless extensions.
>
> irda0 no wireless extensions.
>
> eth0 no wireless extensions.
>
> sit0 no wireless extensions.
>
> vmnet1 no wireless extensions.
>
> vmnet8 no wireless extensions.
>
> virbr0 no wireless extensions.
>

> So no wireless devices are showing up. Any thoughts on what I can try next?
>
> I have an Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5418 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless
> PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

If madwifi isn't working then ath5k isn't going to work either.
madwifi supports more hardware than ath5k.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Greg Sieranski

Lonni J Friedman wrote:

[...]

The madwifi module loads and I am able to view available networks using
networkmanager I am just not able to connect to any whether they are
open or use wep/wpa. I am trying to exhaust all possible options before
I commit to buying and intel wireless card.

Thanks,
gs

Old 01-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Marcel Janssen

On Wednesday 02 January 2008, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> If madwifi isn't working then ath5k isn't going to work either.
> madwifi supports more hardware than ath5k.

I've got a similar problem as the original post. I wonder how I make sure the
madwifi driver is used instead of the ath5k driver.

If the madwifi driver supports more hardware wouldn't it make sense to not use
the ath5k driver at all ?

regards,
Marcel

Old 01-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Greg Sieranski

Marcel Janssen wrote:

If madwifi isn't working then ath5k isn't going to work either.
madwifi supports more hardware than ath5k.

I've got a similar problem as the original post. I wonder how I make sure the
madwifi driver is used instead of the ath5k driver.

If the madwifi driver supports more hardware wouldn't it make sense to not use
the ath5k driver at all ?

regards,
Marcel

yea, i checked and currently ath5k does not support my card. Not really
sure what to do at this point other than buy an Intel wireless card.

gs

Old 01-03-2008, 12:04 AM
"Mr.Scrooge"

You might try killing the wired interface. I had to do that on another distro before wireless
would work right. It may or may not work that way in fedora but there is no harm in: ifconfig eth0
down

Old 01-03-2008, 12:12 PM
"David G. Mackay"

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 15:32 -0500, Greg Sieranski wrote:
> Marcel Janssen wrote:
> > On Wednesday 02 January 2008, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> >
> >> If madwifi isn't working then ath5k isn't going to work either.
> >> madwifi supports more hardware than ath5k.
> >>

> > I've got a similar problem as the original post. I wonder how I make sure the
> > madwifi driver is used instead of the ath5k driver.
> >
> > If the madwifi driver supports more hardware wouldn't it make sense to not use
> > the ath5k driver at all ?
> >
> > regards,
> > Marcel
> >

> yea, i checked and currently ath5k does not support my card. Not really
> sure what to do at this point other than buy an Intel wireless card.

I have an AR5416 pcmcia card (D-Link DWA-652) that I'm running on a
laptop using F8. I'm connecting to an old access point that only
understands WEP. I can plug the card in, and it will come up reliably.

The behavior of NetworkManager regressed from F7 to F8, so I disabled
it:
chkconfig NetworkManager off

Secondly, the ath5k module was getting loaded, even with an "alias ath5k
off" in modprobe.conf, so I removed it from /lib/modules. There's
probably a better way, but I was too lazy to look up the interaction
with pcmcia hotplug events. Since you have a PCI card, it may not be a
problem with you.

Finally, I changed the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ath0 to:

DEVICE=ath0
MODE=Managed
WIRELESS=yes
RATE=Auto
ONBOOT=no
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:01:02:03:04:05
ESSID=MYESSID
KEY=mywepkey

You'll need to change ONBOOT to yes, and supply your own values for
HWADDR, ESSID, and KEY. If you're not using dhcp then change bootproto
to none.

Also, I had to build the madwifi drivers from an svn checkout to get
support for my chipset.

Good luck,
Dave

Old 01-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Greg Sieranski

David G. Mackay wrote:

[...]

Thanks!!!! My wireless is now finally working . Not to be a pain but
at home I use WPA2 Personal as my encryption. Is there anyway to
configure the wireless for wpa w/out using NetworkManager?

Thanks Again,

gs