-   -   Where to type the SSID. newbie (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/26764-where-type-ssid-newbie.html)

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez 01-02-2008 01:13 PM

On Wednesday 02 January 2008 16:05:18 Jan Brosius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a laptop and want to connect wirelessly to the internet. With
> System>Administration>Network I have created a wireless network. But
> where can I type my SSID?
>
> Thanks for any help
> Jan Brosius

Why don't you use iwconfig to set your wireless up? It rather use CLI than the
NM (network manager)

--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.

be used for urgent or sensitive issues.

"Jim van Wel" 01-02-2008 01:25 PM

Where to type the SSID. newbie

Hi there,

Use Network Manager. Get your console open, type
/etc/init.d/NetworkManager start

In your desktop, a icon will normally appear (in gnome that is) and you
can set it up the easy way.

You can also use iwconfig, but that requires some more work and attention.

Greetings,
Jim.

Aaron Konstam 01-02-2008 01:29 PM

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 15:13 +0100, Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 January 2008 16:05:18 Jan Brosius wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a laptop and want to connect wirelessly to the internet. With
> > System>Administration>Network I have created a wireless network. But
> > where can I type my SSID?
> >
> > Thanks for any help
> > Jan Brosius
>
> Why don't you use iwconfig to set your wireless up? It rather use CLI than the
> NM (network manager)
OP indicates he is using network rather than NM. I would stop network
and start NM:
service network stop
service NetworkManager start
service NetworkManagerDispatcher start

Then left click on nm-applet in upper right kernel in screen. You should
see your SSID displayed and then you can just click on it to choose it.

"Mark Haney" 01-02-2008 02:18 PM

Jan Brosius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a laptop and want to connect wirelessly to the internet. With
> System>Administration>Network I have created a wireless network. But
> where can I type my SSID?
>
> Thanks for any help
> Jan Brosius

As root:

iwconfig <wireless int> essid "ESSID"

ie: iwconfig wlan0 essid "belkin"

--
Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Rick Bilonick 01-03-2008 04:30 AM

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 10:18 -0500, Mark Haney wrote:
> Jan Brosius wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a laptop and want to connect wirelessly to the internet. With
> > System>Administration>Network I have created a wireless network. But
> > where can I type my SSID?
> >
> > Thanks for any help
> > Jan Brosius
> >

> As root:
>
> iwconfig <wireless int> essid "ESSID"
>
> ie: iwconfig wlan0 essid "belkin"
>

> --
> Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!
>

> Mark Haney

Why would iwconfig fail to change an essid? I've tried:

iwconfig wlan0 essid "default"

which has always worked in the past. But now that I've installed Fedora
8, it absolutely will not change the essid (it always shows as any/off).
I can scan using:

iwlist wlan0 scan

and shows my default network (and other nearby networks).

Rick B.

Rick Bilonick 01-04-2008 03:37 AM

Where to type the SSID. newbie

> Why would iwconfig fail to change an essid? I've tried:
>
> iwconfig wlan0 essid "default"
>
> which has always worked in the past. But now that I've installed Fedora
> 8, it absolutely will not change the essid (it always shows as any/off).
> I can scan using:
>
> iwlist wlan0 scan
>
> and shows my default network (and other nearby networks).
>
> Rick B.

I removed ndiswrapper and re-installed everything. Still didn't work.
Changed the router to WEP open system (from shared key) (still requires
a key from what I can tell), still didn't work. Took the laptop to work
to try connecting to the wpa network (after re-enabling networkmanager)
- couldn't connect via WPA. Brought it home, turned it on (with an old
D-Link 650 card which I had been using in place of the bcm4318 mini wifi
card) and it connected to a neighbors network (at least I think it was a
neighbors network) but I thought it was through the 650 pcmcia card. But
when I checked, networkmanager clearly showed the available networks for
both wireless cards and it was definitely connected via the 4318 (which
I've been working on for a week). I thought this was too good to be true
- not sure what has changed. I checked to make sure I was actually
connected (using ssh to connect to my Linux machine at work) and was
successful. I disconnected, and clicked my network in networkmanager and
to my utter amazement it connected. Again, not sure what had previously
gone wrong.

Rick B.